• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

A look at what UDM(DUM to some posters) is doing for Senior Night

Started by historyman, February 26, 2013, 08:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

From the moderator of the Detroit message board:

Titan Fans --

Oh how the men's basketball season has flown by (most likely due to the
aerial party of Doug Anderson, Nick
Minnerath and the rest of the high-flying Titans)!
Tomorrow night,
February 26, is your final regular season
opportunity to watch the Titan men's basketball team at Calihan Hall.  The
game starts at 7:30 PM but get here
early as the doors and Titan Club room open at 6:00 PM.  We will be
honoring seniors Nick Minnerath and
Doug Anderson for their commitment and achievements during a pregame
ceremony!

It is Fan Appreciation Night with all fans receiving a raffle ticket as
they enter the building.  Fans will have an
opportunity to win great Titan Apparel throughout the night. ONE (1) lucky
fan will also have a shot at $10,000
at halftime.  To register for the opportunity to be the one chosen to shoot
at halftime, stop by the registration
table located by the Pep Band in the Northwest corner of the arena!  Not
enough excitement already?  Stay
after the game to get your favorite Titan autographs at the scoring table!

Along with those events, we will also recognize our senior Spirit Group
members and honor former student-
athlete Reggie Hall with the John Conti Letterman of Distinction award!

We look forward to seeing the students, season ticket holders, University
employees, and everyone else in the
HALL tomorrow evening.

DETROIT'S COLLEGE TEAM

Tommy

--
Thanks, The Management
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

A lot of good promotion ideas here.  Hopefully, our people will take note for next year.

FWalum

Wow, nice job UDM.  I was just wondering what kind of festivities or honors we would have for our seniors and if there would be any way to view via internet streaming.  Would love to see the senior presentations if we are having anything like that tonight.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

The athletics site says they will be honored before the game--including Tommy Kurth--and then each will address the crowd after the game.  Would love to be able to hear the speeches but doubt the Horizon league would allow it.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

KL31NY

Would they air the speeches on the radio? I know that WVUR has tried to do that for the women's team on Senior Day, don't know whether VSRN has done the same in the past for the men's team.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valporun

I don't know if they'll be streamed at all, but I can check with Chef about the radio side. UWGB streamed their women's team senior speeches, so the HL leaves that up to the schools, but not sure if Valpo will do it, might have to email ML a lot to get that shown tonight. Would be nice for those who can't get there, and any friends of Rowdy or Kevin who can't be in Valpo tonight.

Kyle321n

I would have trouble believing that they wouldn't stream it, be it on the radio or on the HL site, especially when your top 2 players are from overseas and the majority of their family won't be able to come in.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpotx

It will be hard to top Ivan Vujic's speech where he invited us all to his apartment to party  :).  I had been there several times over that year, but it was ridiculously packed after that announcement lol
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: valporun on February 26, 2013, 12:39:48 PMI don't know if they'll be streamed at all

It seems to me that VU men's basketball senior speeches have been streamed at least once in recent years - I don't recall if it was WVUR, WAKE, or HLN.

talksalot

I have the script for the Senior Night announcements before the game... the speeches are after the game.   It times out to just over 10 minutes.  Not sure when we will start, but the pre-game clock will stop about 3:00 to allow the teams to warm back up before the anthem.  See if anyone can guess the order of the 6 seniors (yes, Tommy Kurth will be first up on the list...

valpotx

Kurth, Boggs, Bogan, Buggs, Kenney, KVW, then Rowdy?  I am predicting based on playing time/accomplishments.
"Don't mess with Texas"

ValpoHoops

Quote from: valpotx on February 26, 2013, 04:53:34 PM
Kurth, Boggs, Bogan, Buggs, Kenney, KVW, then Rowdy?  I am predicting based on playing time/accomplishments.

Swap Buggs/Kenney, and I'll go with that.

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on February 26, 2013, 04:52:02 PMI have the script for the Senior Night announcements before the game... the speeches are after the game.   It times out to just over 10 minutes.  Not sure when we will start, but the pre-game clock will stop about 3:00 to allow the teams to warm back up before the anthem.  See if anyone can guess the order of the 6 seniors (yes, Tommy Kurth will be first up on the list...

It'd be fantastic if the pre- and post-game festivities were made available for fans who can't be there in person.

Either as recordings, or part of one of the audio or video streams, etc.

Not sure if it's manageable - but it'd be great.

agibson

Quote from: agibson on February 26, 2013, 05:34:22 PMIt'd be fantastic if the pre- and post-game festivities were made available for fans who can't be there in person.

Very good of Valpo to have HLN show the whole shebang.

And for the radio stream to cover the whole of the pre-game announcements.

FWalum

Was really great to be able to watch the after game speeches.  This truly is a special group of seniors.  I found myself a little emotional watching them thank their families and friends.  It was great to see Bryce give thanks and witness to our Lord. This team and these coaches make me very proud to call myself a Valparaiso University alumni.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

KL31NY

"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."

valporun

I had emailed chef earlier in the day about the streaming details, and WAKE couldn't do it because of contractual stuff, he was already pushing time limits during postgame discussions this season anyway. Thankfully, HLN had them, but not sure if they were archived on HLN, or if they might be on the Valpo YouTube channel, but as was posted in one of the Valpo Basketball threads, the video made specifically for the seniors is posted there.

KL31NY

http://horizonleague.org/video.html Game highlights and full broadcast archive (in two parts) are uploaded. All the pre-game, post-game stuff should be included

agibson

Excellent!  Yep, it's there all the way to the prayer, one last round of applause, and "See you next Saturday!"

Hopefully the UWGB game shows up on archive this quickly, I think I may have to miss it (possibly the first this season?!).