• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball v. Villanova

Started by jetz, March 05, 2013, 10:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetz

Jeff Edwards in to run for Loeffler.  Edwards is a true freshman making his second pinch run appearance.  Martin now at bat.  E has been hot, but can't come through this time.  he flies to right to end the inning.  Loeffler was the DH and is done for the afternoon.  Valpo trails 6-5 after 7.  Scratchy U2 on the radio. 
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

jetz

Jones hitting and Bryce Yoder pitching for Valpo.  Jones is the #7 hitter in the Vill order.  Yoder threw a nice curve that should have been strike three, but didn't get the call.  Now 2-2 count.  Yoder wins the battle with a skied pop foul to third that Martin handles with the sun in his eyes. 

jetz

Jewitt gets on with a bloop single over Mahoney's head.  The next batter flies to center and Hara makes the play.  Two away, runner on first.  Bryce does a great job, getting the leadoff hitter Ramboud to pop to Vavra at second.  Vill runs out a 6'1" 185 lb righty in a pitching change.  Chris Haggarty relieves Beerman. 

jetz

Morman will lead off the Valpo eighth.  Haggarty throws a couple of FBs for balls at 86 mph.  Morman screams a liner down the third base line that is grabbed by the lunging BJ for Vill.  Would have been an easy double.  As it is, there's one away.  Cribbs wears a fastball and takes first base.  Mark Johnson will pinch run for Cribbs, and his day behind the plate is done. 

jetz

Hara steps in for Valpo.  He bloops a single into left field, and we've got runners at 1st and 2nd with one away.  That Morman liner would have been huge.  Manning fouls weakly to first and there's two out.

jetz

Vill will make a pitching change.  Matt Longfield, a 6'6" lefty from Miami, will take the hill against Mahoney, who bats left.  Johnson baits a balk move from Longfield, and now we've got the tying run at third and the go ahead at second.  Two away.  0-2 count on Mahoney.  He's caught looking at a curveball for strike three, and Valpo wastes a golden opportunity.   

jetz

New battery for Valpo.  Jake Hanson will handle the catching chores, and Ben Mahar comes in to pitch the ninth.  We trail 6-5.

jetz

2,3,and 4 hitters for Mahar in the ninth.  BJ is up.  Mahar's 86 mph fb is poked out to right for a leadoff single. 

jetz

Mahar gets a shallow fly that Manning handles in right.  One away.

jetz

Nasty slider from Mahar gets a strikeout looking.  That pitch is almost unhittable...Two down.

jetz

High chopper to second, and Vavra throws him out.  Nice job by Mahar.  Valpo down to its last chance, trailing 6-5. 

jetz

Vill brings in their closer, JB Kole, 6'3" righty from NJ.  Vavra will lead off.  Kole's 91 mph fb almost hits me at the backstop.  Now 3-0 on Vavra.  Four pitch walk at 90 mph.

jetz

Bain steps in and takes a fifth consecutive ball from Kole, and there's gonna be a visit to the mound.  Bain did not square around on the first pitch.  The next pitch gets past the catcher and Vavra is on second.  No out.

jetz

Now Bain squares and it HBP--ouch.  We have two on and nobody out.  Kole has thrown one strike and seven balls so far.  Andy Burns in to pinch hit. 

valpotx

Let's go VU!  It sounds like their closer has Paetznick syndrome in throwing it high above the catcher  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

mjsmom

How am I supposed to work with all this excitment! :o

jetz

Burns is in the DH spot.  Jeff Edwards was in that spot after pinch running for Loeffler.  Burns squares, but takes the bat back and takes a called strike.  Now 2-1 count.

jetz

Burns works a walk and they're loaded with no out.  Martin now batting, and takes strike one. 

valpox2

Quote from: mjsmom on March 05, 2013, 01:27:01 PMHow am I supposed to work with all this excitment! :o

Just fake it like I am.... ;D

jetz

Martin chops one over the second base bag.  The ss makes a great play to first to get Martin.  Vavra scores to tie it up.  Morman will take an intentional walk to re load the bases.

jetz

Hanson was in the on deck circle, but is lifted for Karch Kowalcyzk.  Now 2-0 with the bases loaded, winning run on third.  Game tied at 6.

valpotx

I think they need a new closer...but after this game  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Kowalcyzk now with a 2-1 count.  here's the pitch...he swings...and

valpox2

Quote from: jetz on March 05, 2013, 01:33:23 PMKowalcyzk now with a 2-1 count. here's the pitch...he swings...and
We interrupt this broadcast...

mklhaas

:)  Gotta be a win... Jerry is too busy celebrating and snapping photos to tell us the play...