• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball vs. Toledo

Started by jetz, March 06, 2013, 09:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetz

Vavra lines a soft single in front of RF for an RBI. Bain grounds one that Toledo 3B stays down on to force Vavra at second. 2 outs with a man on first for Kowalczyk.
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

jetz

Kowalczyk lines one hard but right at 3B for final out. after 6 1/2, Valpo trails 7-4. By the way, the flu bug has made its way to Coach Woodson who is here but not in dugout today. Coach Schmack is running the team today.

jetz

Leadoff man 3B Smith lines Hasler's first pitch between Vavra and Bain for a single. Next batter flies one to RF that winds takes into foul territory. Manning makes a beautiful sliding catch in the bullpen area and makes a strong throw to 2nd just a bit off line to allow tagging runner to get into scoring position. Next Toledo batter grounds one just past Martin into LF for a single but runner had to hold up to see if Martin would come up with it so we have runners on 1st & 3rd with 1 out.

jetz

Toledo hitter Zack Michael works count full before hitting a soft pop up to Vavra in short RF. Runners cannot advance. Two outs. Next batter lines a 2-1 FB between Bain and Vavra into RF for an RBI single. Runners at 1st & 2nd for #9 hitter Deion Tansel. Tansel hits it hard up the middle but Vavra dives to his right and flips to Mahoney @ 2B to get the force on a close play to end the inning. Toledo gets the run back and we go to the 8th trailing 8-4.

jetz

Toledo brings in Canadian RH Soph Andrew Marra to start the 8th. Martin chops the 2nd pitch over the mound that the SS fields just before the 2nd bounce to get the first out. Mormon lines the 2nd pitch he sees to deep CF where the ball short hops the fence for a 1 out double. Martin skies one to Medium CF for the 2nd out. Hara falls behind 0-2 before hitting one that takes a hop over a diving 3B but is cutoff by SS before the ball can get to the OF saving a run. Up to Manning.

jetz

Manning chops a 1-1 FB to 3B who makes the play to end the inning. Valpo FR RH Ellis Foreman comes in to pitch the 8th.

jetz

Leadoff man Grogg grounds a full count FB between Mahoney and Martin into LF for a single. Grogg takes off on 1st pitch and steals 2nd easily. Next batter hits the ball off the end of the bat just in front of a diving Mormon in left who makes a good play to keep the ball in front of him and keep the runner at third.

jetz

Pinch Runner for Toledo strays too far off 1B and Cribbs throws behind him to get first out. Next batter lifts one to medium LC where Mormon makes the catch and despite a strong throw home cannot get the runner for a Sac Fly and a 9-4 Toledo lead. Next batter hits one to deep RC but Hara easily runs it down to make the 3rd out.

jetz

Toledo brings in OF LH Ben Hammer to pitch in 9th and Valpo sends up Kyle Schneider to pinch hit for Mahoney. Schneider grounds second pitch to 1B who flips to P for first out. Vavra works count full before walking to give Valpo a runner.

jetz

2nd pitch to Bain is in dirt and gets back to the screen allowing Vavra to get to second. Bain walks on 4 pitches to bring up Kowlaczyk. Toledo coach makes a mound visit. Nobody warming up for the Rockets however so it doesn't look like a change is coming anytime soon.

jetz

After a get me over FB on 1st pitch Hammer continues to miss high and walks to load the bases.

jetz

Martin takes a letter high FB for Strike 1.

jetz

Martin fouls off a tough 1-2 breaking ball before lining a hard one hopper to 2B's right who tries to get the force at @B but great hustle by Kowalczyk beats the throw! Run scores and bases still loaded for Mormon.

jetz

Mormon drills a hard grounder through the SS hole and the LF overruns it!. Run scores and Mormon ends up on 2B with Martin getting to third. Tying runs in scoring position for Cribbs.

jetz

Cribbs lines a short hopper to 2B who uses his body to block the ball and gets Cribbs at first for 2nd out. Another run scores making it 9-8. Andrew Bynum comes in to PH for Hara.

jetz

jetz

Bynum swings through a letter high full count FB to end the game. Good fight by the boys but just not enough. Final Line Score:

Toledo 9 Runs, 16 Hits and 1 Error
Valpo 8 Runs, 7 hits and 3 Errors

valpotx

Too bad, as this loss may sting for a bit after getting so close in the last inning.  Hopefully we can win some of these close ones down the line!
"Don't mess with Texas"

baseball_fan

As an innocent bystander this team appears to have a few things going for them:
1) Their pitching is getting the job done. They throw strikes and keep the team in every game.
2) Defensively they are OK. They have made a number of errors but haven't been hurt too badly by them.
3) They started slow before so there is no panic in them.

If I were a fan I would be worried about:
1) the continued lack of power in the lineup. Last year they had very few extra base hits as a club and this year the trend is up a bit, but not substantially. They have 1 HR in 10 games. Driving in runs is a problem in this lineup.
2) The lack of depth. Looking at the stat sheet very few players outside of the starting rotation play or get at bats. This lack of depth only hurts if injuries occur at the wrong time, but we all know that can happen. Having players ready to step in also creates internal competition which is not a bad thing when a team is struggling. It makes your players work hard and gives your bench some motivation.
3) Starting pitching is logging a lot of innings early. Can they hold up the entire season? They have done a great job to this point, but it's a grind.