• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Starting 5- Valpo Basketball Posters

Started by SadersofthelostArc, March 09, 2013, 03:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SadersofthelostArc

As we gear up for a fun few days of basketball, I thought it might be fun to put together a "starting 5" of the best posters on this site.  Who brings the best insight to the table re: our beloved Sader programs?  (Remember---make your lineup decisions based on the poster's BASKETBALL knowledge only.  For instance, guys like jetz and valpotx are awesome when it comes to baseball info, but basically worthless in the basketball conversations.)

So, here we go...

PG- SadersoftheLostARC- I think of myself as the PG as I tend to be a facilitator of conversation.  I get discussion going.  I distribute ideas and people score with them. When I'm not around the "offense" aka the board discussion gets stagnant. 

SG- DMValpo18- DM is the "glue guy" on this site.  He does the little things that make a board great.  He chimes in on a dying post.  He brings some stats to the table in a conversation that is quickly becoming meatball-city.  He did some spectacular writing for EE (more on him later).  He is wise, discerning, hilarious, and knowledgable.  This is a guy that you can never leave on the bench.

SF- SectionEE- The best all around player on the floor is often the small forward and I think it is a no-brainer that EE is our best all-around poster.  Once rlh was gone (may he RIP), EE became the elder statesman of the board.  He is an explosive poster, slashing through threads.  He can think outside the box (outside shooting) and he can slam an idea home too.  Great poster, great guy.  If there is a guy who I think my style is most like, it would be EE.  Similar personalities, style, sense of humor.

PF-  Valpo04.  Every team needs a big man at the 4, a guy who can throw his weight around and intimidate.  A goon, if you will.  04 is the board goon.  He keeps things under control 'round these parts and people know that he is not the guy to mess with.  He is always there to get those "offensive rebounds" (read: offensive posts) and put them where they belong.  Believe me, I know (just check out my pm warnings lololol)

C- APOSTLE- He can really fill up the board with ideas, just like a center can really fill up the scoreboard with points.  He is constantly bringing great ideas and he brings them in great volume.  A lot of times he is in the mix of every conversation, just like a great center will always be in the mix of the lane.  I also tend to think that the C is often the "team clown" and APOSTLE is great at that (think Mark Eaton or Raitis Grafs). 

6th man- STLVUFan.  This guy does a little bit of everything.  You know he isn't quite one of the top five posters, but he can admirably fill in when a top poster is in foul trouble (i.e. bored with the site, busy with work, etc).  Is he limited in his abilities?  Slightly.  But he is a jack of all trades, even if master of none.  Stats, ideas, graphs and blog posts are some of what he brings.

Coach- VU72- We have not always seen eye-to-eye, and that's okay.  This is a guy who can be brutal in his critcism (see his posts on Keith last year), but can also be your biggest fan.  He plays the good cop/bad cop on his own, and that's hard to do.  He does it to perfection.  He is the Homer Drew of this board.  Love this poster.

Assistant Coach- ValpoHoops- As a former assistant to Keith, this is an easy choice.  He broke down film for the women's program.  I think it may have just been a volunteer slot, but it still stands.  Is he a guy you want taking over for VU72 if the need arose?  Not likely.  But he is still a guy you want on your staff to do the little things.

What do you all think??  Who are your top 5 posters???

SadersofthelostArc

Also, you can feel free to add your all-time starting five.  I'll let my current team soak up some attention first, though, and then come back with my all timers.

VULB#62

Jack is conspicuous by his absence.

He, among all of us, is probably the most seriously invested in the WBB program, yet......................     ???

LaPorteAveApostle

i would say

agibson at point
wh for off-guard
STL for small forward
LB#62 for power, forward [sic]
TEX down low.  his high-post move is to log on, move quickly, and rack up the points.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

I won't argue with your assessment  :).  I am on the phone A LOT at work in being an HR Manager, so I pull up the VFF fairly often throughout the work day while I am on these calls.  It takes a lot of multi-tasking, but it makes the day go by quickly  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

every time i think i read quickly & write a lot in a little, i think of your "posts per minute spent online".

it's like WAYNE CHARLES '93/94 style.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 09, 2013, 08:54:41 PM
i would say

agibson at point
wh for off-guard
STL for small forward
LB#62 for power, forward [sic]
TEX down low.  his high-post move is to log on, move quickly, and rack up the points.

Ave, you're a starter and you know it.

Shocked at the lack of love for EE!  That guy should be named SectionAA++++ in my opinion!

agibson

Quote from: SadersofthelostArc on March 09, 2013, 10:13:11 PMThat guy should be named SectionAA++++ in my opinion!

It just doesn't work like that.  Some faculty and staff sit by the student section, some sit by the entrance.  It's just the way it is.  Not a lot of movement EE<-->AA.  Sometimes I go over to EE to visit, but I just can't manage to sit down.

talksalot

you guys write the script... either Chef or I will read it...and we'll do it during a 30-second time out.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: talksalot on March 09, 2013, 11:21:06 PMyou guys write the script... either Chef or I will read it...and we'll do it during a 30-second time out.

that would be the highlight of my life, other than singing the national anthem there a couple times with my mom.

also second to my friend doing his todd ickow impression, sportscasting a Ren & Stimpy episode :)

MattCarter

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 10, 2013, 09:34:20 AM
Quote from: talksalot on March 09, 2013, 11:21:06 PMyou guys write the script... either Chef or I will read it...and we'll do it during a 30-second time out.
that would be the highlight of my life, other than singing the national anthem there a couple times with my mom.\ 
You haven't done the anthem at the ARC?  That SERIOUSLY shocks me.  You never got asked?  Not like you didn't throw down on campus all the time...
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: agibson on March 09, 2013, 10:37:55 PM
Quote from: SadersofthelostArc on March 09, 2013, 10:13:11 PMThat guy should be named SectionAA++++ in my opinion!

It just doesn't work like that.  Some faculty and staff sit by the student section, some sit by the entrance.  It's just the way it is.  Not a lot of movement EE<-->AA.  Sometimes I go over to EE to visit, but I just can't manage to sit down.

Umm...are you being silly?  ???

ValpoHoops

Quote from: SadersofthelostArc on March 09, 2013, 03:07:43 PMAssistant Coach- ValpoHoops- As a former assistant to Keith, this is an easy choice.  He broke down film for the women's program.  I think it may have just been a volunteer slot, but it still stands.  Is he a guy you want taking over for VU72 if the need arose?  Not likely.  But he is still a guy you want on your staff to do the little things.

Once again, incorrect. You can keep believing it, but you're wrong. How shall I say....I have NEVER been employed (paid, unpaid, volunteer, servant, etc.) by the basketball program at Valpo. Sorry to burst your bubble.

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 10, 2013, 02:39:54 PM
Quote from: SadersofthelostArc on March 09, 2013, 03:07:43 PMAssistant Coach- ValpoHoops- As a former assistant to Keith, this is an easy choice.  He broke down film for the women's program.  I think it may have just been a volunteer slot, but it still stands.  Is he a guy you want taking over for VU72 if the need arose?  Not likely.  But he is still a guy you want on your staff to do the little things.

Once again, incorrect. You can keep believing it, but you're wrong. How shall I say....I have NEVER been employed (paid, unpaid, volunteer, servant, etc.) by the basketball program at Valpo. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Ooooookay.  Not sure why you were breaking down IUN film for Keith, but that is besides the point.  You are a good man and if you say it isn't true, your word shall be taken.

I still think you are the best fit for the assistant coach/Kirby role on this squad.  Do you at least graciously receive that recognition?

ValpoHoops

Quote from: SadersofthelostArc on March 10, 2013, 02:59:06 PM
Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 10, 2013, 02:39:54 PM

Ooooookay.  Not sure why you were breaking down IUN film for Keith, but that is besides the point.  You are a good man and if you say it isn't true, your word shall be taken.

I still think you are the best fit for the assistant coach/Kirby role on this squad.  Do you at least graciously receive that recognition?

If you look back, I didn't break it down for KF. I said, quite clearly, I was coaching another of IUN's opponents...so yes, I do have college basketball coaching experience.

And sure, I'll take it. Not sure how I feel about...
Quote from: SadersofthelostArc on March 09, 2013, 03:07:43 PMIs he a guy you want taking over for VU72 if the need arose?  Not likely.

SadersofthelostArc

You are more fiery and passionate than 72...he is a cool cumcumber.  I'd just prefer the level-headed guy in crunch time, but different strokes for different folks I guess.  We can always do a poll on it and get feedback from the rest of the board, if necessary. 

setshot

The Bob Addie,Shirley Povich,Bob Ryan Red Smith of the board,IMO,is '89. Over 12 yrs. and still counting. His 36133 hits on the "recruiting" topic is an all time record. He's the best. BOOK IT! :twocents:

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: MattCarter on March 10, 2013, 02:27:03 PMYou haven't done the anthem at the ARC?  That SERIOUSLY shocks me.

naw, i've done it a few times.  usually as a duet with The Mom.

Valpo89

Quote from: setshot on March 10, 2013, 07:21:02 PM
The Bob Addie,Shirley Povich,Bob Ryan Red Smith of the board,IMO,is '89. Over 12 yrs. and still counting. His 36133 hits on the "recruiting" topic is an all time record. He's the best. BOOK IT! :twocents:
Oh, thanks Setshot. Appreciate a mention in this thread. Most of the "kids" on here probably don't appreciate my less-than-frequent contributions here.
Of course, I'd have to nominate the Crusaderboy and chef for inclusion on some sort of an 'all-time" list.

SadersofthelostArc

Ok, here's a little appe-teaser for those who are hungry for more analysis from me (yes, I've been getting the emails and pms guys)...I won't name my all-time starters yet, but I'm releasing my roster of the top posters in Valpo forum history (and yes, I do go back to the VOY days)

sectionEE (no-brainer)
DMValpo18
crusader03
valpo04
vu72
sadersofthelostARC
rlh
STLVUfan
crusaderboy
chef
dcvalpo
ValpoHoops
Valpower
APOSTLE

Sorry to those who didn't make the cut....if we do one of these for baseball, valpotx and jetz will be mentioned.  If God forbid we ever start having more cross country talk, your number will be dialed valporun.  If we decide to have an old timers game, jack/vulb62/setshot will all be in the running.  If we were to get into like 4th and 5th team honorable mention, KLNY31 might hear his name called.  Koala gets mom of the year.  This is all subjective of course, but I expect very little debate over the first teamers listed above. 

historyman

This whole thread seems so childish. I certainly hope talksalot or chef don't get involved with it by giving it some kind of official declaration
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

jack

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 09, 2013, 04:59:31 PM

He, among all of us, is probably the most seriously invested in the WBB program, yet......................     ???

Conspicuous absent? Not exactly sure what that means, nor do I understand why I would be the most seriously invested in the WBB program. There are those here who actually go to Valpo or have friends or family that do that would probably have more than a passing investment here. I still continue to evaluate and critique what I see on the floor. Like ValpoHoops, I have spent some time on the sidelines with the Ladies game, and will always have an interest.

As for be conspicuously absent from this thread, I'm with historyman, the whole thing seems a bit silly, not very interesting, and just a way for the thread author to toot his own horn for some reason. What ever floats your boat, I say. When you get back to talking basketball, I'll be in.

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: jack on March 11, 2013, 08:32:46 AM

Conspicuous absent? Not exactly sure what that means, nor do I understand why I would be the most seriously invested in the WBB program. There are those here who actually go to Valpo or have friends or family that do that would probably have more than a passing investment here. I still continue to evaluate and critique what I see on the floor. Like ValpoHoops, I have spent some time on the sidelines with the Ladies game, and will always have an interest.

As for be conspicuously absent from this thread, I'm with historyman, the whole thing seems a bit silly, not very interesting, and just a way for the thread author to toot his own horn for some reason. What ever floats your boat, I say. When you get back to talking basketball, I'll be in.

I have a feeling if I had named you to the starting lineup, you'd have a sunnier disposition.  And historyman is in his typical form, so no surprises there.

SadersofthelostArc

Like ValpoHoops, I have spent some time on the sidelines with the Ladies

I'm not sure why people continue to make this connection.  VH did not coach at VU.  He has repeatedly told us this.

jack

Quote from: SadersofthelostArc on March 11, 2013, 08:45:50 AM

I have a feeling if I had named you to the starting lineup, you'd have a sunnier disposition.  And historyman is in his typical form, so no surprises there.

Now you're really being silly there Sader. In the infamous words of Groucho Marx, "I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member."
The thread just seems a bit highschoolish to be frank. Have fun with it though!  ;)