• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2013 NCAA Tournament Discussion Thread

Started by agibson, March 21, 2013, 05:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

don't forget Albrecht--two YOOGE threes in the first half.

i don't think we should be talking about letting anybody get away to michigan when zack novak.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

SPIKE freaking ALBRECHT PEOPLE

SPIKE ALBRECHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh well.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

I think I'll get more excited about Spike Albrecht when he is more a focus of the offense. He was a first half "flash in the pan" with his 17 points that became rim clankers in the second half, as he went scoreless from the break to the end of the game.

LaPorteAveApostle

he scored 17 points in a half. 

in the national championship game.

that's enough for anyone's resume.

if i had the time, i'd make a list of people who haven't even scored 17 points in the final four, but I don't have the time.

maybe i could save time and make a list of "people who scored ten times their season average in half of a national championship game".

here you go:

SPIKE ALBRECHT.

FWalum

Quote from: valporun on April 09, 2013, 10:16:35 AM
I think I'll get more excited about Spike Albrecht when he is more a focus of the offense. He was a first half "flash in the pan" with his 17 points that became rim clankers in the second half, as he went scoreless from the break to the end of the game.
Enjoyed seeing Spike play like he did last night, but have to agree with valporun.  Lets see how he does running the point next season without Burke.  Who knows, he may not even be the starter with the arrival of Derrick Walton.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

Who said he was going to start?  No one expects him to.

Then again, no one expected him to be playing D1 basketball, especially in the best conference in the country, backing up the Player of the Year?

You people are :censored: ridiculous.  What more do you want from a kid?

He made his first NINE three-pointers in the tournament, a couple of which were closer to the half-court line than the 3-point line.  How many people have done that?  (one who hasn't:  ryan broekhoff, who made precisely one of his first nine attempts.)

People like you make me ill.  People like you watch Hoosiers and complain that "all Ollie did was make a couple foul shots.  Let's see what he does next year when Jimmy graduates".

valpo04

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 09, 2013, 12:07:48 PM
Who said he was going to start?  No one expects him to.

Then again, no one expected him to be playing D1 basketball, especially in the best conference in the country, backing up the Player of the Year?

You people are :censored: ridiculous.  What more do you want from a kid?

He made his first NINE three-pointers in the tournament, a couple of which were closer to the half-court line than the 3-point line.  How many people have done that?  (one who hasn't:  ryan broekhoff, who made precisely one of his first nine attempts.)

People like you make me ill.  People like you watch Hoosiers and complain that "all Ollie did was make a couple foul shots.  Let's see what he does next year when Jimmy graduates".

LaPorteAveApostle

maybe not that upset, but come on!  If Michigan had won--and we would have if the refs had called a good game--then Spike Albrecht would not just be the talk of the nation, he'd be an all-time NCAA legend along with the Keith Smarts, Mario Chalmerses, and Ron Mercers (or KC Joneses, if you're setshot, Udonis Haslems if you're not :)) of the world.  Even so he still will never have to pick up a bar tab in the state of Michigan at least.  (In a year or so, that is.)

So we're going to run him down because he 'only' shot 6-9 for the night, and only 4-5 from three?  I'll tell you what--he has 23 more points in the Final Four than any VU player ever had or will.

FW at least should know better, because I thought he was a coach, and so should know that every phenomenally successful team has at least one Spike on it somewhere.  I'm sure people ragged on Jeremy Lin too ('where was this effort before? ... well he can't keep it up'), just like people rag on Tebow, or any other decent story we too-rarely get in sport in this day and age.  If this were truth219 I would understand, at least.  But "this is why we can't have nice things".

FWalum

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 09, 2013, 02:54:03 PM
maybe not that upset, but come on!  If Michigan had won--and we would have if the refs had called a good game--then Spike Albrecht would not just be the talk of the nation, he'd be an all-time NCAA legend along with the Keith Smarts, Mario Chalmerses, and Ron Mercers (or KC Joneses, if you're setshot, Udonis Haslems if you're not :)) of the world.  Even so he still will never have to pick up a bar tab in the state of Michigan at least.  (In a year or so, that is.)

So we're going to run him down because he 'only' shot 6-9 for the night, and only 4-5 from three?  I'll tell you what--he has 23 more points in the Final Four than any VU player ever had or will.

FW at least should know better, because I thought he was a coach, and so should know that every phenomenally successful team has at least one Spike on it somewhere.  I'm sure people ragged on Jeremy Lin too ('where was this effort before? ... well he can't keep it up'), just like people rag on Tebow, or any other decent story we too-rarely get in sport in this day and age.  If this were truth219 I would understand, at least.  But "this is why we can't have nice things".
What are you talking about?  No one from what I can see is running him down.... It was really great to watch that first half, the kid was amazing and must have that intangible "it" factor that you can't see watching highlight videos or a bunch of AAU games.  I almost lament the fact that so much of the game today seems to come down to who has the most NBA ready players.  It was a treat to see two guys not deemed to be super athletic or "the consensus player of the year" light up the scoreboard.  And because of that "talent" expectation all I said was next year he will have to battle for a position despite his performance in the tournament. 

It seems like you have been paying attention to some of my posts so you should know that I am about the last person to rag on players or coaches.

Just for the record, I like Tim Tebow and think that all he does is win, he seems to have that "it" factor.  What the Jets have done to him is terrible.

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 09, 2013, 12:07:48 PMPeople like you make me ill.  People like you watch Hoosiers and complain that "all Ollie did was make a couple foul shots.  Let's see what he does next year when Jimmy graduates".

You ever notice they never made a Hoosiers 2.

Coach Dale and Myra marry and he moves to Jasper to be the Wildcats coach. Coach Shooter takes over at Hickory and fights the demons from the whiskey bottle. Once again Ollie comes back to make 2 underhanded free throws to save Hickory from defeat in the playoffs. A new champion moves to town, Zac Efron, who has to fight everybody in town to win a spot on the team, even though there are only about 60 boys in the whole school. Efron leads his rag tag team of fundementally sound run 'em off the floor team to the state championship game where they lose to a incredible athletic Attucks team lead by Oscar Robertson, played by Denzel's son, Malcolm Washington.

Ray Crowe plays his real role in real life as coach of Crispus Attucks. 

VULB#62

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 09, 2013, 12:00:47 PM

he scored 17 points in a half. 

in the national championship game.

that's enough for anyone's resume.

if i had the time, i'd make a list of people who haven't even scored 17 points in the final four, but I don't have the time.

maybe i could save time and make a list of "people who scored ten times their season average in half of a national championship game".

here you go:

SPIKE ALBRECHT.

AND NOW HE"S HITTING ON KATE UPTON!!!!

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/04/09/spike-albrecht-capitalizes-on-newfound-fame-hits-on-kate-upton/?utm_source=taboola

Gotta hand it to him in terms of taste.

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 09, 2013, 02:54:03 PM

Not sure where the "rage" is coming from but it's not becoming.  FWalum is one of our most thougthtful posters.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on April 10, 2013, 07:23:50 PMNot sure where the "rage" is coming from but it's not becoming.
...says the guy who's famous for blowing his stack at people on here