• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball v. Yale

Started by jetz, March 13, 2013, 05:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mklhaas

Great to jump out to these early leads!!

jetz

Vavra makes a nice play on a squib grounder.  Two away.  We look sharp.
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

jetz

Yeah mkl, nice to get some support for our pitchers.  Second five spot of the day for us!  Nate Adams steps in for Yale.  The lights are on now at COL...Adams draws a walk. 

jetz

Haas handles a chopper back to him and throws to first to retire the side.  End of 3, 5-0 Valpo...

jetz

Cribbs will again lead off the inning for Valpo.  He draws a four pitch walk.

jetz

Hara looking to bunt.  Instead he lifts an easy fly ball to left, but the LF loses it in the lights and it falls for a single.  1st and 2nd with no out.  Manning does the job and moves the runners with a sac bunt.  One away.

jetz

Mahoney hits a chopper to the 1B, who hesitates than comes home.  Cribbs beats the throw and we have em on the corneers with one out, now leading 6-0.   :thumbsup:

jetz

Vavra steps in.  Mahoney takes off for 2nd, but Vavra fouls off the pitch.  Reset.  Action in the Yale pen.  Vavra is HBP (slow curve--yes...) and bases are juiced for Bain.

jetz

Bain hits into a 5-4-3 to end the inning.  Looked like he may have beaten the throw at 1st, but with the two man crew, the ump called him out from 70 feet away.  We lead 6-0 mid 4.  We have 7 hits, and Haas has a one hitter working.

jetz

Toups lofts a ball to medium deep center that Hara tracks down for out number one.

jetz

The next hitter is retired on a fly ball to Manning in right.  Two down.

jetz

Yale goes down 1-2-3 when Mahoney handles a hot shot at him and throws the runner out.  Through 4 Valpo is up 6-0.

jetz

Loeffler will step in for the Crusaders in the 5th.  He hits it hard to center, but the ball is caught for out #1.

jetz

Ditto for Morman.  His fly ball to center makes out #2.

jetz

Martin skies a popup right at the 3rd baseline.  The ss calls off the 3b and makes the play.  Valpo down in order in the top of the 5th, but leads 6-0.

jetz

Cam Squires lays down a nice bunt towards 1st and the speedy Bulldog beats out Haas' diving attempt for the Eli's second hit of the game.

jetz

The bouncer back to Haas is fielded cleanly, and he gets the force at second.  One away.  One on first.

jetz

Yale executes the hit and run to the 2nd base side, and they have runners on the corners with one away.

jetz

A Yale fly ball to center is deep enough, and the Bulldogs are on the board.  Now 6-1 Valpo.   :'(  Cribbs throws a bullet down to Mahoney to easily get the Yale runner for the 3rd out of the inning.  After 5, it's 6-1 good guys.

jetz

Cribbs to lead off again.  He lofts a fly ball to left that the Yale LF snowcones for the out.  One down to start the 6th. 

jetz

Hara skies to center for the second out.

gngrhaas

Is Cibbs  or Hansen catching?

jetz

Manning laces a sharp single past the diving third sacker for a single.  Mahoney steps in.  Manning steals 2nd on the first pitch. 

jetz

Cribbs has been catching all game.  Mahoney skies to shallow center on a full count and the side is retired.  6-1 VU mid 6.

jetz

The Yale bullpen is now empty.  Interesting that they have only 25 players on their roster.  The SID says that the academic standards are so high that they can't fill out their pitching staff this year.  Saving arms will be a priority for the Bulldogs.  The first batter hits a two hopper in the 1B-2B hole that Vavra comes up with.  His throw is off the mark to Haas, who was covering.  Cribbs backs up the throw, and nearly gets the Yale runner who had turned toward second then dove back to first.  Haas thought he had him.