• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball v. Yale

Started by jetz, March 13, 2013, 05:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetz

Loeffler fields a ground ball and steps on the bag for out #1...runner to 2nd.
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

jetz

A sharp single to right drives in a run and it's 6-2 Valpo.  Jacobs and Ben Mahar up in the Valpo pen...

jetz

Another single up the middle and Coach Woodson comes to the mound.  He will bring lefty Mike Jacobs to get Haas.  Nice outing for Trevor, who goes 5 1/3, gives up 6 hits, 2 ER and two walks.  He did not get a strikeout but is in line for the win.  Jacobs is making his fifth or sixth appearance.  He will face the #5 hitter.

jetz

There's one away with runners at 1st and 2nd.  We lead 6-2.  Full count on the Yale hitter.  Jacobs gets a strikeout swinging, and Cribbs completes the strike em out, throw em out nailing the Yale runner at 3rd.  End of the inning, Valpo leads 6-2.

jetz

During the last at bat, there was a minor incident in the Valpo pen.  One of Mahar's pitches slipped out of his hand and hit a Valpo player who was watching in the head.  It may have been Ellis Foreman, and he appears to be OK...scary.

jetz

Vavra grounds to short to open the 7th. 

gngrhaas

Lost track of what innings we are in....can you help?

jetz

No more action in the Valpo pen.  That'll cut down on the insurance bill... ;D  Bain draws a one out walk.

jetz

Bain caught stealing for the second out on a great throw from the Yale catcher.  Loeffler ends the top of the seventh with a pop up to short.  Valpo leads 6-2.   

jetz

Jacobs back out to start the 8th, and he gets a first pitch fly out to left for out #1.

jetz

Yale brings pinch hitter Charles Cook to the plate.  Jacobs gets him looking with a nice Uncle Charlie.  2 down.

jetz

I mistyped earlier.  It's the bottom of the 7th.  The Yale batter grounds to Mahoney at short, and Jacobs gets a 1-2-3 7th.  Valpo leads it 6-2 after 7. 

jetz

Green Campbell came on in relief of starter Hansen back in the 7th.  He's a sophomore righty who normally plays infield.  He's back out for the 8th.  Morman now batting.  He drives a ball to medium deep center that the RF handles with some difficulty.  One away.

jetz

Martin steps in.  He hits a high fly to shallow right and there's two away.

jetz

Cribbs continues the fly ball fest with a ball to center and the Valpo half of the 8th is over.  Jacobs back out now for the Yale 8th, and we still lead 6-2.

jetz

Easy fly ball to Manning in right and there's one away.  Vavra ranges far to his right, dives, pops up and throws out the next Yale hitter.  Great play there...2 down.

jetz

Jacobs looking great as he gets a lazy pop to Vavra to end the 8th.  Another perfect inning for Mike.  VU up 6-2.

jetz

Nate O'Leary in to pitch the 9th for Yale.  He is actually listed as a pitcher in the Bulldog roster.  He's a stout lefty.  Hara to bat for Valpo.  He draws a walk.  Manning sacrifices him over to second with a bunt.

jetz

Mahoney steps up with one away and goes up 2-0 in the count.  He works a four pitch walk.  Runners on first and second.  Here's a Yale pitching change...

jetz

Junior Kevin Fortunato will take the hill for Yale.  He's a righty who throws fairly hard.  I'd say upper 80s maybe 90.  Vavra steps in.  He lays down a perfect bunt for a single.  Bases loaded for Bain.

jetz

Bain lifts a ball down the RF line that lands foul.  Almost a diving catch there.  Bain hits a seeing eye, infield chopper past the pitcher and there's no throw.  RBI single.  Now 7-2.  :thumbsup:

jetz

Loeffler draws a four pitch walk that brings Mahoney home.  We lead 8-2 with one away.  :thumbsup:

jetz

Morman's fly out to center is deep enough to score Vavra.  9-2 Valpo with two down.   :thumbsup:

jetz

Martin to bat.  The 9 runs so far are a season high for Valpo.  Martin chops back to the pitcher, who throws him out to retire the side.  9-2 Valpo mid 9.  three outs to go for Jacobs.  Walsh getting warm quickly in the pen for Valpo.

jetz

Jacobs gets the first Yale hitter in the 9th on a fly ball to Manning in right.  The next batter singles sharply to center, ending Jacobs' string of eight straight outs.  One away.