• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Why did Valpo get rid of this guy?

Started by Giant Moose, March 18, 2013, 07:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

Quote from: crusaderjoe on March 18, 2013, 08:19:52 PM
Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 18, 2013, 07:52:01 PM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on March 18, 2013, 07:41:42 PMCase in point:  the color black. Someone in another thread said the uniforms for Thursday will be black and gold.

I don't know that anyone said anything about the uniforms. There is a photo of the SHOES, which are mostly gold with black accents. Also, in that thread, the gray uniforms were brought up (and suggested to be never seen again).

I would think we will wear gold...but that's nothing more than a guess...

Wow--you guys were talking about shoes?  Someone mentioned the grays, so I thought you were discussing the uniform itself.  I didn't see any photos of the shoes (still don't), so that might be the reason for the confusion.  My mistake. 

I know we've used black quite a bit in the past.  I would hope that if we're going to be consistent about the use of the new logo across all areas of the University, we would also be consistent about the uniform colors across all sports teams, with of course exceptions here and there if needed, to maintain consistent branding.

I honestly thought they were blue on the bottom. I agree with the black thing though (uniwatch calls it BFBS - black for black sake). I think brown and gold are huge assets to the university... Wyoming is the only other D1 school with the combination. Lehigh uses brown as well.  I'd rather have a unique combo than be yet another generic looking school with black and gold.

I'm not sure you'll ever see the green in athletic uniforms, but maybe the setter in Volleyball could wear a green uni instead of pink?

FWalum

Was a little surprised when we hosted the Horizon League championship viewing party we were sent some "party favors" that included little pom poms that were brown and gold with probably 10% lime green mixed in. That seems a little forced to me. Somebody is really trying to make this lime green thing stick.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valporun

If there are any changes to the uniform colors for Thursday's game, all I can think with this is that NIKE had a lot more to do with it to market their brand, and we didn't really get to provide too much feedback? I mean have any of you paid close attention to the uniforms that Cincinnati or Notre Dame wore? I think Louisville had them too? They were hideous, but I think the NIKE money doesn't allow for too much opportunity for the schools to have much say in what the uniforms will look like, as NIKE uses the NCAA tournament to MARKET their BRAND, and they don't seem to care about a school's true colors, unless they can make them look cool or better?

Giant Moose

1957 1979 1999 2000 2001 2005 2009 2010

Kyle321n

My initial reaction to that uniform:

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

a3uge

It's photoshopped - the bottom of the gold stripe gave it away.

Giant Moose

Haha, yeah, just messing with you guys. It's an old Atlanta Hawks jersey with your colors. All in good fun. Lime looks a little better than I thought with your colors but doesn't seem right for Valpo.
1957 1979 1999 2000 2001 2005 2009 2010

Kyle321n

Quote from: Giant Moose on March 19, 2013, 01:26:12 PMHaha, yeah, just messing with you guys. It's an old Atlanta Hawks jersey with your colors. All in good fun. Lime looks a little better than I thought with your colors but doesn't seem right for Valpo.

I knew it was a shop, but I still don't want it. Someone from the Athletic Department is going to see that and say "YES, we have our alternate uniform now!"
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

crusaderjoe

'Hoops, thanks for trying to attach the picture of the shoes for me.  Still can't see it for some reason.  (Don't worry about it, I'll see them on Thursday.)

That photoshop of the jersey is awesome.  It really shows how unworkable lime green is athletically--particularly with a brown and gold combo.  Now trade lime green for a deep burgundy, deep crimson, or dark maroon and I think we might have a winner.

wh

Quote from: crusaderjoe on March 19, 2013, 03:14:11 PM

That photoshop of the jersey is awesome.  It really shows how unworkable lime green is athletically--particularly with a brown and gold combo.  Now trade lime green for a deep burgundy, deep crimson, or dark maroon and I think we might have a winner.

You mean, kind of like the plume on the helmet of our former mascot?

FWalum

Wow, that actually works rather nicely...

While the lime green color still appears rather prominently on the website, those ridiculous lifelines have started to fade into the sunset.  I do have to say that I kind of like them in the "young people of promise" Horizon League Network ad, but when someone said when they first appeared that they would become a distinctively recognizable part of the VU brand I have to say "so long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye".
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

joe, from one florida guy to another ... let's help end this East Coast-West Coast warfare.

(actually, having seen them it might actually escalate)

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

FWalum

I hope these shoes do not cause us to have more turnovers! The color commentator of the Concordia Andrean semi-state game kept commenting on how the brightness of Nick Davidson's shoes called attention to his feet and that was why the refs were calling him for travelling.  :lol:

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on March 19, 2013, 04:55:30 PM
I hope these shoes do not cause us to have more turnovers! The color commentator of the Concordia Andrean semi-state game kept commenting on how the brightness of Nick Davidson's shoes called attention to his feet and that was why the refs were calling him for travelling.  :lol:

Wwwrrrrrightttttt State something obscure on TV and act like it's obvious!

letsgovu

I just hope the color of the floor isn't similar to our uniforms / shoes.  Can't remember what away game it was but we seemed to fade into the background.

maybe someone just needs to come up with a personality for our crusader.  right now he just struts around...still more cute than fierce.  Enjoyed seeing the other horizon league mascots in the tournament.  Rowdy the wolf mascot was pretty good.  The phoenix was just creepy.

wh

Yes, Rowdy Raider was great.  He came up into the stands, mixed with the Valpo crowd, stopped to give fives to the kids and posed for pictures. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on March 19, 2013, 08:00:08 PMYes, Rowdy Raider was great.  He came up into the stands, mixed with the Valpo crowd, stopped to give fives to the kids and posed for pictures.

eh...call me old-fashioned...but i thought he looked cheap.  and a little creepy.

like creepier than the phoenix.

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Apostle - I didn't realize you came up for the game.  That's cool!  I remember last year tex flew up and had a great time.  What did you think about the overall experience? 

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on March 19, 2013, 08:28:51 PMApostle - I didn't realize you came up for the game.

touché, my friend.  two-shay.

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 19, 2013, 08:39:59 PM
Quote from: wh on March 19, 2013, 08:28:51 PMApostle - I didn't realize you came up for the game.

touché, my friend.  two-shay.

Just having a little fun.  :)

LaPorteAveApostle

and well-played at that.

(thankfully i'm not that old, but i used to be in tuscaloosa, where I suppose i must have looked like that hanging out with college kids, even law students. then i moved to naples, where without dieting or working out, i went from being "oldest uncoolest in bar" to "youngest coolest in bar" which is weird, but acceptable. the best part is it'll be true for another 25-30 years.  unless i move.)

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 19, 2013, 09:02:51 PM
and well-played at that.

(thankfully i'm not that old, but i used to be in tuscaloosa, where I suppose i must have looked like that hanging out with college kids, even law students. then i moved to naples, where without dieting or working out, i went from being "oldest uncoolest in bar" to "youngest coolest in bar" which is weird, but acceptable. the best part is it'll be true for another 25-30 years.  unless i move.)

Truth would never be able to live in Naples or for that matter many parts of Florida. The "real" truth is that the world population is getting older all the time and the young are just going to have to deal with the older population. Remember that all you who want to become doctors and save lives.  ;)