• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Opening Week Scheduling Changes

Started by Enrico Palazzo, March 18, 2013, 10:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enrico Palazzo

As expected, Wednesday's baseball game against Roosevelt has been postponed.  The make-up date will be Wednesday, April 17th at 3:00 pm. 

We're still on for Friday-Sunday when Wright State comes to town.

EDIT: http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/news/2012-13/12538/crusaders-swap-weekends-with-wright-state/

Valpo to Wright State this weekend; WSU here April 26th-28th.

As mentioned, Emory G. Bauer Field nowhere near ready to play baseball Wednesday.  The turf field at Nischwitz Stadium is much more accommodating to the weather expected this weekend.

agibson

Just because of the forecast?

I can see that it's not the most pleasant weather for baseball.

But, is it obvious that you can't play if it's in the 20's and maybe a little snowy?

OK, admittedly, I've probably never played much below 50. 

But, is it really just not done?

valpotx

agibson, go out in the snow and swing a metal bat at a ball, and tell me how it feels  :).  Heck, I'll make it easier for you and take away the snow.  Just go outside somewhere it is in the 20s/30s, and hit a blunt object thrown at 80-90 mph with a metal bat lol.
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

The field isn't ready.  It's going to be a struggle to get it ready for Friday.  We may have a DH on Sunday to get this WSU series in.  If the field was in shape, we'd play Wednesday in any weather.  They have never had a chance this winter to get the field dried out enough for basic maintenance and grooming for a game.  That's it.....
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on March 18, 2013, 11:06:36 AM
agibson, go out in the snow and swing a metal bat at a ball, and tell me how it feels  :).  Heck, I'll make it easier for you and take away the snow.  Just go outside somewhere it is in the 20s/30s, and hit a blunt object thrown at 80-90 mph with a metal bat lol.

I totally respect that: we kept our double walls inside under 50 degrees for softball, and were nervous below 60.  But, I figure they man up!  Pull out the wooden bats!

Friday's forecast is a high of 35, and the weekend may not be much better.

valpotx

I wasn't saying that we don't play in cold weather, I was more mentioning that it isn't pleasant at all on the hands :).  We played in the 20s-40s often when I was at Valpo. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

Enrico Palazzo

Made the edit up top, but in case you didn't see it: all games at EGB postponed this week.  Baseball will go to Dayton for a single game Friday, and a DH on Saturday. 

Wright State to Valpo April 26th-28th for a three-game set.

VULB#62

MEMO

DATE:  Spring 2013
TO:  VU Athletic Facility Planners
SUBJECT:  The new Em Bauer Field

When constructed, the new Em Bauer Field across from Hilltop on Union MUST have a minimum of a synthetic turf infield and dugout radiant heaters.

Enrico Palazzo

UPDATE:  Friday's game at Wright State has been moved up an hour. First pitch will be at 5:30 pm ET/4:30 pm CT.

Valposter

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on March 21, 2013, 04:27:07 PM
UPDATE:  Friday's game at Wright State has been moved up an hour. First pitch will be at 5:30 pm ET/4:30 pm CT.

Thanks for the update!
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!