• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2013 NCAA Tournament Discussion Thread

Started by agibson, March 21, 2013, 05:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

So, where do we put the general NCAA chatter?

I only caught snatches of the Valpo game so far - enough to be a bit disappointed, for sure.

But, did I just see the end of the Davidson game correctly?  They had it completely won, and gave it away by throwing a 3/4 court pass out of bounds?  When it probably would have been enough to do... anything except turning it over?  Heck, just hurling the ball up towards the ceiling could almost have been enough.

valporun

Yeah, Davidson tried to get cute against the Big East champs, and it bit them bad. That was an incredible finish. What a weird day, as Southern almost upset Gonzaga.

VULB#62

#14 Hahvid over #3 New Mexico.   :o  Ran a 4 guard offense, led most of the way and according to the ESPN article played with great composure.  Cited the fact that being there last year (though losing in the 1st round) was a contributing factor to their composure.

valpotx

At least we didn't play like Montana and Akron yesterday  :o
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valposter

Agreed.  Unfortunately, we played more like Montana and Akron than Harvard and Davidson.  We looked tight, scared, and tentative.  The stage was too big.  They should have been playing loose with nothing to lose, but for whatever reason it just didn't happen. 
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

valporun

I don't think we were as tight or scared, as others seem to feel. If we were tight or scared, we would have had more than 7 turnovers for the game. We just didn't make our shots. MSU also took away the inside, or strongly defended the inside so we couldn't get layups to fall. To me, that isn't tight or scared, just defensed better than we saw most of the season.

Valposter

Some examples of why I thought we looked tight:  air ball by Ryan, poor shooting by Ryan on open looks, several missed layups by Kevin and others, missing open shots and passing up open shots throughout game.  Most national game recaps reference a theme of how good a shooting team Valpo is and how we repeatedly missed many makeable shots because we seemed to play tight.  Watching the game I really did get that sense.  I think the more shots we missed the more we pressed overall.
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

a3uge

Fan Trips in Background of San Diego State vs Oklahoma NCAA Tournament Game

Was watching the San Diego State vs Oklahoma game last night... Thought something wasn't right when San Diego State was shooting a free throw and rewound to find this gem.

LaPorteAveApostle

Priceless.  Thanks for sharing.

(Poor b------d.)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Amazing comeback O.T. win by Michigan over Kansas.  Chesterton's McGary was a monster - 25 pts and 14 rebounds.  I know he's a year behind Zeller, but he looks like he has more potential to excel at the next level.  Zeller was clearly intimidated last night and looked weak trying to finish against big players.  McGary is like a man-child who isn't intimidated by anyone.  Just curious what anyone else thought.  Things are kind of slow right now.

LaPorteAveApostle

LOL to your last sentence.

McGary has really grown up in this tournament.  At the risk of seeming like a poor sport, I'd love to ask what ValpoSpartan thinks now that his team is home for the Holydays. :)

He had trouble defending Jeff Withey, but so have a lot of people.  Note that Beilein was still subbing for him in endgame offense/defense situations.

Beilein a good Catholic btw.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

Another one who has grown in this tournament is Fred Van Vleet for Wichita State. His confidence has shown leadership and better ball control, as a freshman. He's only 5'11", but he's starting to show why he led his high school to 3rd place in Illinois Class 4A. He can lead a team to a spot no one expected him to, and now he's helped WSU get to the Final Four. He's playing his best basketball right now...when it really counts! Hope we have a guy like that next season who will take charge like that.

LaPorteAveApostle

He is obviously vleet of foot, and he beat Aaron at his own craft.

valpo04

Trying to figure out why the court in Indy had a Horizon League logo at one end and but a IUPUI logo at the other  ???

HC

The HL and IUPUI were the hosts for the weekend.

valpo04

Quote from: HC on March 31, 2013, 07:30:32 PM
The HL and IUPUI were the hosts for the weekend.

Huh, I always thought they had a school within the conference "host".

vusupporter

Butler and the Horizon League were originally scheduled to co-host.  When Butler left the league, they asked to be released from their hosting obligations so that they would be able to be in the Indianapolis regional (a school is not allowed to play at a site at which it is hosting).  At that point, IUPUI stepped in as co-host.

valpopal

FWalum

Listening to Enfield's resume he struck me as someone much more likely to take the quick payday vs someone like Stevens.  Of course he was making chicken feed at FGCU and did not have all the money that was first reported in the media from the software company he "founded".
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

setshot

With Alford going to UCLA,New Mexico has lost its Indiana connection. Like NC State a few years ago,why Valpo? Game cancelled. Book it! :'(

FWalum

Quote from: setshot on April 02, 2013, 01:13:31 PM
With Alford going to UCLA,New Mexico has lost its Indiana connection. Like NC State a few years ago,why Valpo? Game cancelled. Book it! :'(
Wow, I can't believe I am saying this, but setshot may very well be right on this one.   :o
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

I would have to think that we put in some clause that they actually would play at the ARC no matter what?  If I were making the schedule and I lost the NC State game a few years ago, I would make sure that is put into any paperwork...or a MUCH higher buyout than we got from them
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on April 02, 2013, 03:16:54 PMI would have to think that we put in some clause that they actually would play at the ARC no matter what?  If I were making the schedule and I lost the NC State game a few years ago, I would make sure that is put into any paperwork...or a MUCH higher buyout than we got from them

I'm sure if NM didn't get a reasonable buyout clause they wouldn't have signed the contract. NM had most of the leverage at the time the contract was negotiated.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

How did Indiana, Purdue and Notre Dame let McGary and Robinson III get away?  Those guys are studs.