• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo to be visited by MVC this week, thoughts?

Started by isu87, March 31, 2013, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the MVC a good fit for Valpo?  Why?

Yes, because of increased stature that comes to men's basketball.
11 (24.4%)
Yes, because of greater opportunity to keep Bryce around longer.
2 (4.4%)
Yes, because of greater long-term possibility for growth and profit.
15 (33.3%)
Yes, because of some other reason I'm too smart to share with you, Mr. Poll Man.
1 (2.2%)
No, because of the stiff start-up costs (exit fee, loss of Butler NCAA $, travel)
1 (2.2%)
No, because of too much travel for student-athletes
2 (4.4%)
No, because we still don't know what the HL plans to do vis-รก-vis expansion.
7 (15.6%)
No, because of another reason you were too dumb to think of, Polley McPollerson.
6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: April 13, 2013, 07:03:46 PM

valpopal

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 06, 2017, 04:26:30 PM
We could just freely admit that 18 games (playing each team only twice) is not enough to determine who stands out as the best team

I'm not sure I am as willing to freely admit this merely on the basis stated here, since I believe there really are 90 games played (rather than just 18) in a 10-team home-and-home conference schedule. When one considers a 90-game sample with an 18-game sample, then the odds of the best team rising to the top seem more solid and the margin of error is reduced.

VULB#62

Quote from: a3uge on May 06, 2017, 02:47:41 PM

Quote from: VU2014 on May 06, 2017, 10:51:47 AM
Quote from: usc4valpo on May 06, 2017, 08:47:00 AM
If Valpo stays in the Horizon, I would like to see two actions items:

1. get rid of LeCrone. He is an overpaid schmck and makes Steinbrecher competent.
2. Move the post regular season tournament  to to the new Wintrust arena in Chicago. there is more to do and better dining in Chicago.

I would add one more:

3. add OCC scheduling standards to the HL. It is really important ALL schools pull their weight in OOC and don't schedule to many cupcake games that end up hurting the higher seeds. It would take will power from Presidents and ADs to this.

Not to beat a dead horse, but a big problem with the league has been teams that schedule too tough, not teams with too soft of schedules. UIC going winless out of conference is devastating to the conference. Had they scheduled some SWAC and MEAC teams a few years ago, the whole conferences RPI would have improved quite a bit.

That was the beef against Kampe early on, but he's switched his philosophy a bit which is better for OU and better for the HL.

bigmosmithfan1

Two things:

1. No disrespect to Mark Adams, a guy I like a lot, but any President or AD that takes a non-scientific, self-selecting Twitter poll from a third party into account in a decision of this magnitude that should be relieved of their duties by their BOT immediately.

2. Anyone who thinks staying in the HL is a viable option on the table here is kidding themselves. The MVC is a better league by every metric, even without Wichita. Valpo will *leap immediately* if offered, as they should. As I posted two weeks ago, quit overthinking this.

VULB#62

Re: Overthinking.

I stopped all types of thinking 3 days ago. I am now overwaiting. I have no control over nor input to the decision makers, so that is my only option. Between me and you, it has helped me sleep better lately.

wh

ATHLETICS
Budgets, TV exposure, competition level among considerations for UNO in possible conference move
By Tony Boone / World-Herald staff writer May 6, 2017 Updated 1 hr ago

http://www.omaha.com/uno/budgets-tv-exposure-competition-level-among-considerations-for-uno-in/article_899c1962-c5df-50c0-81dc-8bfd4e22b70c.html

"...Horizon Commissioner Jonathan LeCrone said Friday that the MVC's visits, including to schools within his league (Valparaiso and Milwaukee), are no secret. He has spoken openly about his intention to expand and said the Horizon will stay true to its value and plan, which transcends any movement of members.

"Whether we're 10, whether we're eight, whether we're nine, we still have plans, no matter what our configuration is at any point in time, to grow larger," he said. "We think larger is better. We think divisional play is good. And we have lots of members on our membership candidate list who are very interested in helping us achieve that vision no matter what our current membership movement might be..."

wh

agibson

Quote from: wh on May 06, 2017, 09:51:15 PMWe think larger is better. We think divisional play is good.

Wow. When did this start? And who is we?

VU2014

Quote from: agibson on May 06, 2017, 10:00:29 PM
Quote from: wh on May 06, 2017, 09:51:15 PMWe think larger is better. We think divisional play is good.

Not sure who the "we" is either... His office or the Presidents? I honestly would like to privately gauge his approval rating of LeCrone among the HL Presidents & ADs because it is pretty low among the fan-bases from what I've heard and seen.

I've heard he's been wanting to expand to 12 for the last few years and he wants Omaha and possibly Denver. Also heard he's considering IUPUI or IPFW if Valpo leaves I guess. There was that rumor he was looking closely into New Mexico State last offseason... (I could not imagine the travel expenses for non-rev sports taking flights out there... SMH). Just my gut, but if the MVC doesn't take the Omaha as part of 12, then they will join the HL if the $ makes sense for them (I just complete speculation on my part on Omaha. Also UMKC might fit the HL's current model of large cities...

If the MVC takes Valpo then my guess is the HL will try like hell to add Belmont (again... & fail to persuade them). Then they will try and add Omaha, Denver or UMKC and one of the IPFW or IUPUI to try and go 12. I've see some people speculate Robert Morris but that be tough because they currently only sponsor 3 men's sports that the HL does currently.

We will see what happens I guess. I personally don't like divisions...

bbtds

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 06, 2017, 04:26:30 PMAnd of course - warm up your groans, ladies and gentlemen

I really read this wrong and started to get a lap blanket out of the closet.  ;)

justducky

My biggest fear is that we are the only school invited. That would make me question the entire MVC brain trust. I do not want to walk into the MVC fearing their decline and questioning their competence.

I'm snake bit. Having watched the rapid HL collapse has been a real slap in the face. I do not want to live through this again, even in a milder form.

VU2014

Quote from: justducky on May 06, 2017, 10:30:43 PM
My biggest fear is that we are the only school invited. That would make me question the entire MVC brain trust. I do not want to walk into the MVC fearing their decline and questioning their competence.

I'm snake bit. Having watched the rapid HL collapse has been a real slap in the face. I do not want to live through this again, even in a milder form.

I hope we aren't the only invite either (I mean I'd take an invite any way we could get it but), I wouldn't think it would be a terrible thing if they invited Valpo this year and Murray State joins in 1-2yrs to figure out football. I heard that could be a problem for this upcoming season because its pretty late to switch the football conferences and the OVC likely won't do Murray State any favors if they are on the way out. I'd leave that 12th open for a 1-2 years to make sure you add the right team and not settle. I wouldn't mind Milwaukee but they aren't a "homerun" 3rd team. SLU is a pipe-dream and not happening. Possibly hope Belmont changes their mind in a few years. Even then Rick Bryd their coach is already 64 and he won't coach much longer likely... he's been their only D1 coach ever. Who knows how Belmont turns out after his retirement. I say role with 11 and play a 20 game conference regular season. Means they wouldn't have to go divisions.

valpotx

Anyone who isn't on board with an MVC move hasn't been following their conference.  They get multiple bids in just about every sport, though not as often recently in Men's Basketball.  They get multiple bids in baseball, volleyball, softball, etc.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpotx on May 07, 2017, 01:34:09 AM
Anyone who isn't on board with an MVC move hasn't been following their conference.  They get multiple bids in just about every sport, though not as often recently in Men's Basketball.  They get multiple bids in baseball, volleyball, softball, etc.

That was at a time when WSU and CREIGHTON were in the league.  ITS NOT THE SAME LEAGUE, just like the HL is not the same league post Butler.

vu72

Quote from: wh on May 06, 2017, 09:51:15 PM
ATHLETICS
Budgets, TV exposure, competition level among considerations for UNO in possible conference move
By Tony Boone / World-Herald staff writer May 6, 2017 Updated 1 hr ago

http://www.omaha.com/uno/budgets-tv-exposure-competition-level-among-considerations-for-uno-in/article_899c1962-c5df-50c0-81dc-8bfd4e22b70c.html

"...Horizon Commissioner Jonathan LeCrone said Friday that the MVC's visits, including to schools within his league (Valparaiso and Milwaukee), are no secret. He has spoken openly about his intention to expand and said the Horizon will stay true to its value and plan, which transcends any movement of members.

"Whether we're 10, whether we're eight, whether we're nine, we still have plans, no matter what our configuration is at any point in time, to grow larger," he said. "We think larger is better. We think divisional play is good. And we have lots of members on our membership candidate list who are very interested in helping us achieve that vision no matter what our current membership movement might be..."

LeCrone added..."We can't wait to add alphabet schools to our distinguished team roster"!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpopal on May 06, 2017, 05:51:49 PM
We could just freely admit that 18 games (playing each team only twice) is not enough to determine who stands out as the best team

I'm not sure I am as willing to freely admit this merely on the basis stated here, since I believe there really are 90 games played (rather than just 18) in a 10-team home-and-home conference schedule. When one considers a 90-game sample with an 18-game sample, then the odds of the best team rising to the top seem more solid and the margin of error is reduced.

18 games per team is obviously what I meant.  In that light, 90 games total is exactly as small a sample size as 18 per team is.

elephtheria47

Lecrone sucks. I can't imagine having to "go back" and play in that league. Hopefully tomorrow the HL will now be in the rearview mirror.

wh

Quote from: elephtheria47 on May 07, 2017, 11:31:49 AM
Lecrone sucks. I can't imagine having to "go back" and play in that league. Hopefully tomorrow the HL will now be in the rearview mirror.

With all the media-driven buildup and and fan anticipation across 2 leagues, being rejected by the MVC would be a PR disaster for Valparaiso University. Receiving an offer and rejecting it would be just about as bad. That would be the proverbial nail in the coffin for those who contend that the current administration is not committed to or engaged in elevating the profile of its flagship sport. Attendance will continue to decline, the student population will become more apathetic, and more blame-deflecting excuses will be propagated about how today's students just want to sit home alone with their electronic gadgets, and if only University/community relations were somehow better.

Is anyone else getting tired of the siren song of self-victimization?

VULB#62

Doesn't this thing go something like this......  MVC negotiates with it's identified candidadtes in secret (like the whole last two weeks).   The candidate list is reduced to the top candidates based on their credentials but also the results of preliminary negotiation (i.e., basic stuff like willingness to pay exit and entry fees, acceptence of other stuff like how shares will be divided post-expansion).  Once the one/two/three top candidates vying for the one/two/three slots are formally identified within the MVC, a final round on the specific details are negotiated, a commitment to join the MVC if asked is obtained from the candidate schools,  the Presidents vote,  and the invitees are announced.

If my speculation on the process is close, and Valpo has made it this far, there is no way at this point that Valpo will not accept the bid, if offered -- we've already made teh commitment.  So that leaves only one negative scenario -- after all this, they decide to stay at 10 and we do not receive the Presidents' blessings Monday night and therefore never receive the invitation (but are thanked for our participation and given a consolation prize -- a small bronze statue of the St. Louis gateway arch).

FWalum

Quote from: agibson on May 06, 2017, 10:00:29 PM

I can hardly believe my eyes. Did somebody kiss him on the mouth and wake him from his complacency induce coma!! Where was this attitude when Butler and then Loyola left!! Ach du liebe zeit what took you so long  ??? If we leave, let alone UWM, he has no one to blame but himself for the decline of the HL. If the league had been aggressive we probably wouldn't be looking to leave.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

rustnvrsleeps@yahoo.com

Quote from: wh on May 07, 2017, 01:07:02 PM

With all the media-driven buildup and and fan anticipation across 2 leagues, being rejected by the MVC would be a PR disaster for Valparaiso University. Receiving an offer and rejecting it would be just about as bad. That would be the proverbial nail in the coffin for those who contend that the current administration is not committed to or engaged in elevating the profile of its flagship sport. Attendance will continue to decline, the student population will become more apathetic, and more blame-deflecting excuses will be propagated about how today's students just want to sit home alone with their electronic gadgets, and if only University/community relations were somehow better.

Can't tell if you're blaming the students or not? The students didn't show up last year for a first place team and I'm pretty sure Duke students have access to electronic gadgets in their homes but they still manage to represent. If the students only realized how important they were to the team. They could make or break a season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU2014

Quote from: wh on May 07, 2017, 01:07:02 PM

Agreed it would be a PR hit to the University and our Athletics if we didn't get an invite now after all the media buzz and seemingly a very large majority of the Valpo fan-base wants to join the MVC. Not a single member of the Valpo administration or staff has commented publicly about the MVC. They didn't even acknowledge the MVC was on campus and visited. Maybe that has to do with Conference negotiations or maybe they are just very old school... I feel like with how public the Murray State administration has been they may have given up some leverage in some negotiations with the MVC. Also it may be more of a let down for their fan-base/alumni if they don't get the invite... Maybe that was one reason our administration hasn't even acknowledged the MVC.

I do fear if we don't at least get the invite from the MVC then this could be a huge let down to the alumni/fan-base. I was talking to a friend who is a senior on campus about the MVC the other day and he said that everyone has been talking about it on campus amongst the students & even some faculty. I am a little worried about the potential let down and apathy setting in among fans.

It also would feel like a bit of a slap in the face of Valpo to not get an invite at this point. Hopefully we get an invite tomorrow.

valpopal

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 07, 2017, 09:40:51 AM
Quote from: valpopal on May 06, 2017, 05:51:49 PM

18 games per team is obviously what I meant.  In that light, 90 games total is exactly as small a sample size as 18 per team is.

The sample must be big enough to be highly reliable. Of all the conferences this past season, only two had a first-place regular season champion that did not also have the highest RPI ranking in their conference. In both cases the second-place team was the highest ranked in RPI, and one by only a single spot in the overall rankings. That's about a 95% accuracy.

VULB#62

With the MVC President's meeting Monday night (in St. Louis I presume) would the following scenario play out? 

🏀   Immediately after the decision, the Athletic Director and University President of each invited school is called. 

🏀   Those individuals either book a flight or hop in a car Monday AM and drive to St.  Louis to be in attendance for the official announcement and press conference.

🏀   Press Conference and announcement probably mid-late afternoon on Tuesday.

:welcome: :cheers:

bbtds

Quote from: Just Sayin on May 06, 2017, 01:58:32 PM
Quote from: M on May 05, 2017, 10:30:31 AM
Who cares?? That pole doesn't matter for anything.

If you don't see the pole while driving, it could mean quite a lot to you.

Most of the time race car drivers are looking to get the pole. Funny thing is I don't pay much attention to racing.

bbtds

As far as other sports I already saw that 3 schools are associate members of the MVC in men's soccer. I seem to recall that Dallas Baptist plays baseball in the MVC. Is that going to happen in 17-18?