• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GB Coach Wardle Under Investigation

Started by valpopal, April 11, 2013, 06:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 20, 2013, 08:15:18 AMNo question the negative publicity following on the heals of the Rutgers fiasco did UWGB no good.

I truly believe that because of the Rutgers fiasco that the UWGB parent decided it was the correct time to expose the situation at Green Bay.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

wh

Such juvenile behavior by a college coach.  Green Bay needs to go a different direction.

classof2014

If this is true... this is way worse than I initially thought. I think GB will have a new head coach next season and Wardle will never be a basketball coach again.

If these are true... what a pitiful example of human kind.

FWalum

Crazy, I always told our players not to have sex.... I don't think it made much difference.  :o
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

That does sound pretty terrible.  I am confused in regards to an Advisor telling him that his coach was blocking him from taking a class.  I had both athletic and academic scholarship money, and nothing coach could have said would have prevented me from taking any classes that met our practice/game schedules.  I think that Advisor needs to be looked at as well, as this guy was also a walk-on, without the obligation that comes from an athletic scholarship...
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

It takes the "student" right out of "student athlete," doesn't it?  Can you imagine Bryce telling one of our players that?  Or Loyola telling Ben Averkamp that he shouldn't take pre-med courses because they're too hard and might interfere with basketball? And to think he said that to a walk-on is just crazy.  Where did this guy come from again?  Who were his mentors?

VULB#62

FWalum

Quote from: wh on April 30, 2013, 02:24:49 AMWhere did this guy come from again?  Who were his mentors?
Why do I get the feeling that you knew the answer to that question before you asked it  ???
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

...except maybe he did, since he kept this kid as a walk-on while promising him scholarships.  I had no idea that you could withhold transfer approval of a non-scholarship player!  Ridiculous.  The NCAA just keeps finding more sharks to jump.

Come to Valpo if you want a good coach and a Lutheran institution.

Note also that it is the #1 story on the GBPG website, especially remarkable just after the draft and the Packers are relegated to nos. 3-5...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

vuweathernerd

i find it intriguing that some of these incidents happened during practices, yet alec brown is refuting them. at the very least, it should give a moment of pause before we rush to judgment. it could be that brown is afraid of retribution, but if it's true that wouldn't matter because wardle wouldn't be around for the upcoming season anyway.

motowntitan

Myron Metcalf now has an article that is on the front headline page (not just ncaam) on ESPn as of 8:28 EST.

My take is the following:

I am always a "three sides to every story" (or four, if you believe Kurosawa  8)) and let's let all of the facts get out.

That said the most interesting tidbit from the GBPG article is where Wardle says " I cannot comment on the specific allegations under federal privacy laws. I can say the version of events you are reporting is inaccurate. I have fully cooperated with the independent investigator, as have our players and coaches. I fully expect the eyewitnesses to these allegations you are reporting will contradict the version you are reporting."

So you can't comment, but then immediately make a comment that contradicts the story?  Either deny or don't comment.  :crazy:

classof2014

Both Sykes and Brown are claiming that Wardle never saw or knew about what was going on with Bross and Cougill.

Cougill claims they didn't see the mistreatment.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/01/ex-green-bay-forward-brennan-cougill-supports-teammates-allegations/

Honestly, I'm taking the sides of Cougill and Bross. a) Why would both Bross and Cougill make up such stories and tell their mothers about it? b) Both Brown and Sykes are by far the two best players on the GB squad and Wardle doesn't want to do anything to lose them, thus playing favorites.

I'm sure what we've heard from Bross and Cougill aren't the full story, nor do I think we'll ever know what fully happened. But if it's true about Bross, which I am leaning towards it being closer to the truth than Sykes and Brown backing up Wardle. Then I believe GB will be in the market for a new head coach and Wardle will be scanning the classifieds of the local newspaper.

valpotx

I highly doubt that Bross would make up a story in the national media about crapping his pants, and the resulting treatment.  What kind of deranged person would make that up, knowing full well that embarrassment would follow?
"Don't mess with Texas"

dylanrocks

If what I read about Ryan is true, I'd like to express my deep admiration for his religious convictions.

In the face of chastisement and ridicule, it takes a strong man to stand up for what he believes in.

If we don't have the courage of our convictions, what on earth do we have?

FWalum

Quote from: dylanrocks on May 01, 2013, 06:29:32 PM
If what I read about Ryan is true, I'd like to express my deep admiration for his religious convictions.

In the face of chastisement and ridicule, it takes a strong man to stand up for what he believes in.

Nicely said dylanrocks.   :clap:

wh

Quote from: FWalum on May 01, 2013, 08:16:24 PM

Excellent point.  He may be a basketball walk-on, but he's a star in the game of life.     

covufan

Quote from: wh on May 01, 2013, 08:35:20 PM

Excellent point.  He may be a basketball walk-on, but he's a star in the game of life.     
Excellent statements! :clap:

historyman

Quote from: covufan on May 02, 2013, 11:03:47 AM
Quote from: wh on May 01, 2013, 08:35:20 PM
Quote from: dylanrocks on May 01, 2013, 06:29:32 PMIf what I read about Ryan is true, I'd like to express my deep admiration for his religious convictions. In the face of chastisement and ridicule, it takes a strong man to stand up for what he believes in. If we don't have the courage of our convictions, what on earth do we have?
Excellent statements! :clap:

Excellent statement by dylanrocks! Excellent statement by FWAlum! Excellent statement by wh!
Extremely excellent statement by covufan for recognizing all three previous excellent statements! This board is so great at recognizing excellent play and evaluating excellent comments!

And that Ryan Bross guy ain't too bad either for standing up in the face of immense pressure and showing courage against a tyrant.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

classof2014

LaPorteAveApostle

ridiculous.  sweeping them will feel even better this year.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

dylanrocks

I too am quite surprised that Wardle was permitted to stay given the current climate of sensitivity.

I certainly wouldn't want a son of mine to play for a man who tells him to have premarital intercourse.

Well, at least there's a disciplinary letter being placed in his file. ::)

historyman

I pray for the student athletes such as Ryan Bross, Brennan Cougill, etc. because of the damage Wardle has done to them.

With only 9 members on the UWGB men's basketball team, it will be interesting, just like the Valpo women's team, whether their coach can fill out the roster for this coming season.