• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GB Coach Wardle Under Investigation

Started by valpopal, April 11, 2013, 06:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

dylanrocks

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 24, 2013, 08:13:29 PM
Double Secret Probation.mpg

Exactly.

Here's something that I certainly expect was discussed before the "action" was taken: if there prove to be any other skeletons in Wardle's closet or if there's one minor misstep, all of them will be out the door -- Wardle, AD Ken Bothof and Chancellor Thomas Harden.

FWalum

Hard for me to believe they think this can still work.  I would think that recruiting will take a big hit as long as Wardle is there, unless he really shows something next year along the lines of what Billy Donlon did at Wright State this year.  This has stagnation written all over it.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 25, 2013, 02:12:34 PM
Quote from: FWalum on May 25, 2013, 01:40:12 PMThis has stagnation written all over it.
Or something like...
Oops I Crapped My Pants

I'm sure Wardle has a dozen packages of those adult diapers ready for all his practices in October.

wh

It takes a lot more leadership ability than Wardle apparently has to motivate players to reach their full potential without yelling, screaming and demeaning.  Moreover, players are no different than anyone else - at some point they just stop listening. In turn, the coach turns up the volume even more to elicit a reaction.  At some point that stops working so he starts with personal attacks.  When those no longer work he tries passive aggressiveness like refusing to speak to the player (sometimes for days), sitting the player at the end of the bench, refusing to make eye contact, giving instructions through assistants, and other childish non-verbal tactics. Hopefully, it doesn't become physical, but that can happen as well.  Whenever he can't "get through" to the player, it's never about his inability to properly motivate.  It's always the player's fault, who is deemed lazy or lacking in mental toughness or is just plain uncoachable.  These 20th century dinosaurs need to be culled from the coaching ranks at every level. 

As to Wardle, I hope he appreciates that he has been given a second chance when he could just as easily have been cut loose.  He needs to use this time to do some serious introspection and come out the other side a changed man. I hope he does - for his sake, for his family's sake, for the University's sake, but most of all for his players' sakes. 

wh

dylanrocks

From Chancellor Thomas Harden's statement:

"As to the report of allegedly encouraging a player to have sex, there is disagreement regarding the words used and whether it was said one, two or three times. Coach Wardle has said his close relationship with the team led him to make this comment once in a joking manner. However, as I have told Coach Wardle, making this sort of statement, whether joking or not, is not acceptable."

Well, the derision was aimed at its intended target perhaps only once -- and in a joking fashion -- so everything is cool.

I'll bet Wardle's wrists even sting a little bit today. After all, a letter was placed in his personnel file.

valpo64

Just another example of "big time" college athletics running the show...Wardle holding on to his head coaching job is a disgrace to UWGB, the Horizon League and college athletics in general...it's a little Rutgers situation.  Come on Phoenix, get your act together!

valpopal

Mixed messages from Green Bay today. First, Alec Brown and Keifer Sykes release a statement declaring "... The character and communication in our locker room is really good right now... "; Second, a fifth player (Cole Stefan) announces he is leaving the team:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20130530/GPG020110/130530028/Another-UWGB-player-leaves-team?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|

valpopal

Green Bay possibly has lost another player. Three-Star 2014 recruit and verbal commit Jerrelle Deberry announced today that he was de-committing from the Phoenix and re-opening his search.