• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Teams on the Horizon League's horizon

Started by classof2014, April 19, 2013, 12:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classof2014

I do like the idea of NKU, I think they have a lot more potential to do something compared to Loyola. I could also see NKU joining the HL as possibly opening the doors to another Kentucky team and maybe even a certain Tennessee team ;)

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Dave_2010 on May 08, 2013, 12:52:18 PMto say the HL schools represented in those markets (CSU, UIC, UWM) are an afterthought would be an understatement
I think you mean "overstatement".
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

StlVUFan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 08, 2013, 01:27:12 PM
Quote from: Dave_2010 on May 08, 2013, 12:52:18 PMto say the HL schools represented in those markets (CSU, UIC, UWM) are an afterthought would be an understatement
I think you mean "overstatement".
Well played  :clap:

Chuck A

Quote from: Dave_2010 on May 08, 2013, 12:52:18 PM
I just wouldn't be so quick to move on NKU without evaluating other options. There is no choice that is as good of a fit for the league at #10 as Oakland was at #9.

I beg to differ.  That choice at #10 that would be as good as Oakland at #9 would be Belmont.  There is still hope that they might come. Maybe not this year, but there is still hope. NKU is a great possibility as well.  I also think, based on the invitation of Oakland that the HL has and is doing its due diligence in evaluating options.  They don't want another Youngstown State, by reacting in haste.  Although Oakland was always a choice if we ever expanded again, the HL still had to do the work and analysis, statistical evaluations, etc.  I do believe we'll be a 12-team league and eventually surpass the A-10 and MVC.

nkvu

Quote from: Dave_2010 on May 08, 2013, 12:52:18 PM

"NKU has a history of good (though never to national championship-level) play in D-II."

NKU was Div. II National runner up in 1995-1996 and 1996-1997.  They lost to Cal State Bakersfield by 1 in the 1997 game.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: nkvu on May 08, 2013, 10:29:39 PMNKU was Div. II National runner up in 1995-1996 and 1996-1997.  They lost to Cal State Bakersfield by 1 in the 1997 game.
Boom goes the dynamite! (Not whole clip, just the one line)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Do we now give Northern Kentucky the edge as an eventual entry into the Horizon League as NKU today moved another step closer toward possibly joining the HL?

Northern Kentucky has just hired Green Bay's Athletic Director, Ken Bothof. He was also a chair of the Horizon League Executive Committee and a chair of the Horizon League Finance Committee. He is replacing interim AD Mike Cusack, formerly the Athletic Director at Wright State and the person who arranged Wright State's move from the Mid-Continent Conference into the Horizon League. Bothof should be able to negotiate a smooth transition to the Horizon League for NKU.

The description of NKU's athletic program (the teams' accomplishments, the attendance figures, the academic success, the facilities, and the fundraising campaign) in the article announcing Bothof's hiring reads like it was designed as a case for entry into the Horizon League.

http://www.nku.edu/news/_130626bothof.html?DB_OEM_ID=22500