• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Teams on the Horizon League's horizon

Started by classof2014, April 19, 2013, 12:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classof2014

Quote from: valpopal on April 29, 2013, 10:03:32 PM
From the Wright State Board:

I just got the word that Oakland was voted into the HL today by the presidents.  The HL should have an official announcement this week.

I will believe it when I see it. It is better than them saying Oakland was voted on and it's a no go. Most likely they'll be the next member of the HL which is HUGE upgrade from Loyola. So if it's true I'm pretty happy overall where the HL stands next season.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 29, 2013, 09:12:05 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on April 29, 2013, 08:48:25 PMHow about Hotel capacity?

WIU Athletic web site says 5,139.

damn - if macomb looks like that, why the hell'd i end up at valpo? ;)

wh

We're down 2 programs in 2 years, and we finally pick up 1 program in year-2.  Oakland made it clear from the get-go that they wanted in. Why in the heck did it take so long, unless Loyola conspired with Detroit Mercy to keep it from happening.  If we learn that those 2 have been in cahoots, it will make me dislike Detroit Mercy, their dysfunctional athletic department, and their classless basketball program even more, if that's possible.

classof2014

Quote from: wh on April 29, 2013, 10:30:21 PM
We're down 2 programs in 2 years, and we finally pick up 1 program in year-2.  Oakland made it clear from the get-go that they wanted in. Why in the heck did it take so long, unless Loyola conspired with Detroit Mercy to keep it from happening.  If we learn that those 2 have been in cahoots, it will make me dislike Detroit Mercy, their dysfunctional athletic department, and their classless basketball program even more, if that's possible.

Just another thing for UDM fans to be upset about: Junior leaving, losing in the tourney, being jealous of Valpo, and having Oakland who will be the Greater Detroit Metro Area mid-major program of choice. UDM is just upset that they're in Detroit. Probably the biggest disadvantage for recruiting is being located in Detroit. Don't know many kids who are like, "Hey ma, I think I want to go to school in Detroit..."

Good luck to UDM in the future, they will certainly need it after Oakland starts to get the Detroit-area talent after being in a better conference.

Western4Life

Now UDM can go belly up like their AD went heels up for former Leatherneck Head Coach and huge flippin embarrassment Derek Thomas. He derailed our program for a number of years  >:( and is one of the main reasons people say things like... Umm Western hasn't proven anything for so many years etc etc. Derek Thomas come on down.... we have a prize for you it is a career win % of .28!!! Ohhh what a recruiter he was, he had about as much discipline as a guy who would get fired for sleeping with his boss in front of student athletes.  ???

Keep it classy Detroit. Double birds' for hiring that guy.

Gee fellas, nobody told me we could crap on UDM and I would have a free DT shot. This board is great.  ;D

valpotx

For what it's worth, I enjoyed playing against/beating WIU in baseball as well  ;).  Oakland will be good for the conference, and get us to the desired 6 baseball programs again. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

Western4Life

Quote from: valpotx on April 30, 2013, 12:34:19 AM
For what it's worth, I enjoyed playing against/beating WIU in baseball as well  ;).  Oakland will be good for the conference, and get us to the desired 6 baseball programs again. 

Ouch  :-[ Baseball has a new coach that was a long time assistant at Iowa. He has a good feel and will have success IMO. These issues with baseball numbers are goofy. I almost thought the SL & HL may do a coop for baseball but both have the minimum currently allowed. Add us to the HL at this point so we can win back some of those Mid Con memories. Until then I am stuck  :-X

valpotx

I just had to throw that in being a VU baseball player alum ;).  Even though there would be absolutely no pitching in the games between us and WIU at times, they were fun.  I think we won a conference tourney game against you guys that was like 24-22 my FR year.  It was HR city at ORU's field that day with the wind. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

covufan

I think the HL should give consideration towards WIU vice UMKC and IPFW.  I'm neutral when it comes to IUPUI.

motowntitan

Quote from: classof2014 on April 29, 2013, 10:20:00 PM

I just got the word that Oakland was voted into the HL today by the presidents.  The HL should have an official announcement this week.

I will believe it when I see it. It is better than them saying Oakland was voted on and it's a no go. Most likely they'll be the next member of the HL which is HUGE upgrade from Loyola. So if it's true I'm pretty happy overall where the HL stands next season.

So, last year we lost Butler and the 10,000 seat Hinkle
Last year, UWM moved to the Klottsche at 3,500 seats (from @12k US Cellular)
This year we lose Loyola with it's current Gentile seating at 4,486 (and they will expand)

Now, we are possibly getting Oakland and their 4,000 gym.

Please tell me you are not in the Business School and graduating next year.

All indications are that the Horizon (without adding teams like Evansville, Belmont, Murray State) is actually getting smaller.  This will only make making money that much harder.

wh

Quote from: motowntitan on April 30, 2013, 07:46:21 PM
Quote from: classof2014 on April 29, 2013, 10:20:00 PM

So, last year we lost Butler and the 10,000 seat Hinkle
Last year, UWM moved to the Klottsche at 3,500 seats (from @12k US Cellular)
This year we lose Loyola with it's current Gentile seating at 4,486 (and they will expand)

Now, we are possibly getting Oakland and their 4,000 gym.

Please tell me you are not in the Business School and graduating next year.

All indications are that the Horizon (without adding teams like Evansville, Belmont, Murray State) is actually getting smaller.  This will only make making money that much harder.

Someone on your board is reporting that the presidents took a vote on Oakland yesterday, and Detroit vetoed it.  Do you know anything about that?

valpopal

Oakland's Board of Trustees has a "special formal meeting" scheduled for Tuesday.

motowntitan

Quote from: wh on April 30, 2013, 07:55:47 PM
Someone on your board is reporting that the presidents took a vote on Oakland yesterday, and Detroit vetoed it.  Do you know anything about that?

WH,

No, I am a season ticket holder since the Perry Watson days.  But that is my extent of involvement with the athletic department.   

It is my understanding that the veto needs to have additional support.  This support was allegedly with Butler and Loyola in the past.  The following statements make me think Oakland will get in (if this is taking place):

1) There is only one other private school left- Valpo.
2) Lutherans hate the Catholics
3) Valpo hates Detroit
4) Valpo was like 200-1 against Oakland

Valpo will welcome their old beatdown foe and screw Detroit at the same time.   ;)

vu72

Quote from: motowntitan on May 01, 2013, 06:51:09 PM

WH,

No, I am a season ticket holder since the Perry Watson days.  But that is my extent of involvement with the athletic department.   

It is my understanding that the veto needs to have additional support.  This support was allegedly with Butler and Loyola in the past.  The following statements make me think Oakland will get in (if this is taking place):

3) Valpo hates Detroit

Valpo will welcome their old beatdown foe and screw Detroit at the same time.   ;)

Well now, let's clear up a few details.  Lutherans do not hate Catholics, we simply view them as having a few theologicals issues improperly interpreted.  And yes, unlike the Catholic view of the 60's and before, we are both going to heaven!

Now, as for Oakland being our old "beat down foe", it is true that we hold a dominating 17-5 record all time versus Oakland but they have won 2 of the last 3.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Jesuit schools aren't even Catholic. I don't know why any Lutheran would dislike Marquette, SLU, etc for being Catholic (Jesuit whatever) affiliated when nobody there seems to want anything to do with being Catholics.

Was that too offensive ?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on May 01, 2013, 09:22:48 PMI don't know why any Lutheran would dislike Marquette, SLU, etc for being Catholic when nobody there seems to want anything to do with being Catholic
ok, ok, man, you've got to stop posting like this or people really will think we're the same person.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Quote from: vu72 on May 01, 2013, 08:21:56 PM
Quote from: motowntitan on May 01, 2013, 06:51:09 PM

WH,

3) Valpo hates Detroit

Well now, let's clear up a few details.  Lutherans do not hate Catholics, we simply view them as having a few theologicals issues improperly interpreted.  And yes, unlike the Catholic view of the 60's and before, we are both going to heaven!

Now, as for Oakland being our old "beat down foe", it is true that we hold a dominating 17-5 record all time versus Oakland but they have won 2 of the last 3.

I believe that we were 11-0 against Oakland in my 5 years at VU (13 or 14-0 all-time), so it is amazing to see that we are now 17-5
"Don't mess with Texas"

Grizz

Oakland has won 5 of the last 6 vs Valpo including 2-0 against the past two Horizon Leage champs. Oakland will be very good next year with a kid who may end up the POY.

FWalum

Quote from: Grizz on May 01, 2013, 11:38:09 PM
Oakland has won 5 of the last 6 vs Valpo including 2-0 against the past two Horizon Leage champs. Oakland will be very good next year with a kid who may end up the POY.
Grizz is BACK!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

StlVUFan

Quote from: Grizz on May 01, 2013, 11:38:09 PM
Indeed.  Oakland beat Valpo at the O'Rena in 2006 and swept us in 2007.  In the current series, we won the Lou Henson tourney at the O'Rena, but they fought back from a 17-point deficit at the ARC and a 9 pt deficit at the O'Rena to take the 2 remaining games in the series.

I swear if they could schedule a Valpo Thurs-Saturday Oak/Detroit weekend, I will be at both games.  Of course, there's a better chance of that happening if HL adds a 10th team for 2013-2014 ;)

Western4Life

:twocents:

WIU..... and UMKC to the HL. We are 4:20 minutes apart and they are putting $ into sports finally. They will begin playing games at the Municipal Arena as well rather than on campus. I feel UIPUI and UMKC have shown too little support to be worthy of an addition. Say what you want but the last home game I saw in Macomb had over 4,500 people and a co-SL regular season championship celebration was had. UMKC was horrible but could offer a nice market which HL likes with WIU as a decent travel partner since that was mentioned before as an issue.

Travel Partners. UMKC/WIU, GB/UWM, UIC/Valpo, Oakland/Detroit, Wright St/UNK, YSU/CSU Obviously that is 12 members though. Baseball would be fine at least, so would the foot print and getting games which can be hard for a relevant mid major conference. 

I know people will wait on the MVC but they may be very content to stay where they are due to NCAA credit sharing. I doubt many HL want to give that up themselves in the conference transition period we are having.

VULB#62

Quote from: Western4Life on May 02, 2013, 02:46:07 PM
:twocents:

WIU..... and UMKC to the HL. We are 4:20 minutes apart and they are putting $ into sports finally. They will begin playing games at the Municipal Arena as well rather than on campus. I feel UIPUI and UMKC have shown too little support to be worthy of an addition. Say what you want but the last home game I saw in Macomb had over 4,500 people and a co-SL regular season championship celebration was had. UMKC was horrible but could offer a nice market which HL likes with WIU as a decent travel partner since that was mentioned before as an issue.

Travel Partners. UMKC/WIU, GB/UWM, UIC/Valpo, Oakland/Detroit, Wright St/UNK, YSU/CSU Obviously that is 12 members though. Baseball would be fine at least, so would the foot print and getting games which can be hard for a relevant mid major conference. 

I know people will wait on the MVC but they may be very content to stay where they are due to NCAA credit sharing. I doubt many HL want to give that up themselves in the conference transition period we are having.

Did you mean to write IPFW, Western4life?  If not, then you're undermining your own argument.

classof2014

UMKC is a big time NO in my opinion. They have done nothing basketball wise PERIOD. They don't fit our demographics at all, besides opening up a KC market they do nothing for the HL except worsen the HL's credibility.

WIU is a possibility for the future. Right now I want to work on adding Oakland and after that look to a RMU or NKU type team to add as our tenth program. If they HL looks to expand to 12 then I think we could look to WIU instead of IUPUI or IPFW to increase to 12.

Like I said, right now we need to worry about Oakland since they are our first choice right now and we need to sew that deal up.

UMKC HELL NO!!!

Western4Life

#68, I did mean to put UIPUI and IPFW without adding UMKC but honestly they and Chicago St. are all the same thing IMO for what they bring to a conference. They are simply the closest school to WIU that matches the HL foot print (metro city & new focus on hoops).

WIU is a better option than UMKC (same as UIPUI/IPFW) but I have been surprised to see the money UMKC has spent recently to upgrade their reputation. UNK does make the most sense but I have been brain storming on a logical option to get WIU in the mix too so bare with if I seem too loony. At this point I want out of the SL. There is no easy add aside from Chicago State due to football and who wants to see that mess in their league? New arena or not Chicago State is the team that when you lost to them your coach makes you run the next day all practice. That applies for any sport they sponsor.  ???

UMKC does have a nice market. I wouldn't have even mention UMKC before this year but moving to a legit basketball home and acquiring a competent coach were smart decisions. When the MVC considered them I was floored but aparently they are an option for several leagues just because they are on the geographical line where the Mid West trails into the Rocky's. KU and KSU would have had Big 12 issues and Wichita State seems to be stuck alone in the MVC. UMKC is just a buffer but it added one that WIU could easily travel with.

Robert Morris express any interest in a move? I am more curious than anything.