• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball v. Wright State

Started by jetz, April 26, 2013, 07:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetz

We start the second half of the HL season today with some confidence after beating ASU.  The bad news is that ace Cole Webb is out with a hip flexor.  Not sure about a return date for him.  We're going with DeBoo Friday, Lundeen Saturday and TBA Sunday.  I'm just guessing, but maybe freshman Trevor Haas will get his first weekend start.  Wormington is able to go as well.  Elliott Martin was due back a couple of weeks ago, but reinjured a hamstring when he took infield practice and now we're just hoping he can play in the HL tournament.  We need to battle through the injuries and win the series...
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

Valposter

Great update Jetz....thanks!  Sorry to hear about Martin and Webb.  Very difficult news.  Also, if Haas is inserted in the weekend starter spot, then I'm assuming Worm has fallen out of favor......can you elaborate?

Obviously, a huge series this weekend with the dreaded Raiders.  We need to keep our bats going as we hit much better overall at ASU, imo.  We need to announce our presence with authority this weekend!

GO VALPO BASEBALL!
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

valpotx

Good 5-1 win.  I am really hoping for the sweep to get us 1 game outside of 2nd place!
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valposter

Big win today for Valpo 17-5 against Wright State.  As I'm typing this another Valpo hitter just got plunked.  7 Valpo batters hit by Raider pitchers today.  Must be close to some kind of HL record.  Great line on the Valpo Baseball twitter feed today, "Can't spell disaster without Raider".  Great line.  I would love to be a fly on the wall to hear Cooper's post-game locker room speech.......probably not rated pg-13 I'm guessing.  Great job Valpo Baseball!  The weather is heating up and so is Valpo Baseball!  Big game tomorrow!
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

valpotx

Awesome win.  No one is going to want to play us in the HL tournament if we keep this up. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valposter

Big start for Worm today.  Valpo really needs this game to fully entrench themselves back into the HL Regular season race.  Worm struggled mightily in the first half of the season and lost his weekend starting spot.  He gets a second chance today due to Webb's injury.  It will be a huge lift if Worm can return to his 2012 performance level starting today.  Maybe some mental and physical rest along with some time to work on mechanics in the bullpen will do the trick. 

Good luck Worm!  Go Valpo Baseball!

Valposter

Quote from: Valposter on April 26, 2013, 09:18:33 AM
Great update Jetz....thanks!  Sorry to hear about Martin and Webb.  Very difficult news.  Also, if Haas is inserted in the weekend starter spot, then I'm assuming Worm has fallen out of favor......can you elaborate?

Obviously, a huge series this weekend with the dreaded Raiders.  We need to keep our bats going as we hit much better overall at ASU, imo.  We need to announce our presence with authority this weekend!

GO VALPO BASEBALL!

I know I'm quoting myself, but I think we have announced our presence with a great deal of authority in the first two games this weekend!  Let's keep the mojo flowing today!

Valposter

Valpo leads 1-0 after 1.  Valpo had strike em out throw em out DP in top of 1st.  Cribbs has been consistently great behind the plate this year throwing out runners stealing.

valpotx

If we win today, the regular season championship is not out of question with 9 games left.  We would be 3 games outside of first (if Milwaukee loses today against UIC), and 1 game outside of 2nd (UIC).  We have 3 left at home against Milwaukee, 3 at UIC, and 3 at home against YSU.  We can win 2 or 3 against Milwaukee, win all 3 against YSU, and anywhere from 1-3 against UIC. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valposter

Worm has shutout going through 4.  Valpo leading 1-0 in bottom of 3rd.  Keep dealing Worm!

Valposter

Quote from: Valposter on April 28, 2013, 11:35:43 AM
Big start for Worm today.  Valpo really needs this game to fully entrench themselves back into the HL Regular season race.  Worm struggled mightily in the first half of the season and lost his weekend starting spot.  He gets a second chance today due to Webb's injury.  It will be a huge lift if Worm can return to his 2012 performance level starting today.  Maybe some mental and physical rest along with some time to work on mechanics in the bullpen will do the trick. 

Good luck Worm!  Go Valpo Baseball!

Wow.  6 innings of shutout baseball for Worm today!  I would say that classifies as coming up big today!  Great outing Worm........huge!  Maher in to pitch in relief.  3-0 Valpo in bottom of 7.

Valposter

Great weekend.  Just what the baseball docter ordered.  A shutout win today 4-0 for the sweep of Wright State. 

Go Valpo Baseball!

valpotx

Just like that, we are tied for second, with us currently holding the tiebreaker over YSU per our 2-1 series lead on them.  We are 4 games back of 1st place with 9 to play, with 3 of those at home against first place Milwaukee.  Let's shoot for another sweep next week, and be 1 out with 6 to play!  I would love to see us steal this away in the final weeks :).
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

I'm sure someone knows, but I have no idea how the HL is going to handle the missing series between UWM and WSU.  WSU was supposed to play at Milwaukee April 19-21, but that was rained out.  Wright offered to host the series at that time since the weather in Dayton was OK and the WSU field is now turf.  WSU parents were saying yesterday that UWM declined that offer.  I can understand that since UWM hadn't hosted a series at that point, but now it appears they will not make that series up.  Bottom line, UWM has six HL games left, and we have nine even though both of us have played 15 HL games.  How are they going to determine a champion if we happen to sweep them next weekend?   ???  I think the league screwed this one up.  I don't see a slot in UWM's schedule where they can fit this in...

valpotx

When we had games rained out in conference that couldn't be played during the same weekend, they did not make them up, and they went by conference win percentage in crowning a champion.  Now, this was obviously in the Mid-Con/Summit, but I imagine that the HL will do the same thing.  I believe it was my last year when Oakland had played 4-5 less conference games than us, but received the last bid to the Mid-Con tournament over us because of winning percentage (6 of 9 teams made it each year).
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Here's some pix from the Wright State weekend.  We did break out the old school gold unis for the Sunday game.  We are now 1-1 in 2013 with the gold jerseys.  Interesting note:  the starting pitcher determines the uniforms for the day.  His choice is approved by the coaches and the deal is done.  Even if the starter is a freshman!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/107694216823525506352/albums/5872325722041363681?authkey=CPqoja3c9NfZ2wE