• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Detroit going to the NCAAs

Started by VULB#62, May 05, 2013, 09:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

FWIW Department:  Doesn't matter for Valpo nor the rest of the Horizon, but the UDM men's lacrosse team beat Siena in the final of the MAAC lacrosse  tournament and will be going to the NCAALAX tournament and play #2 Notre Dame.  The program is only 5 years old and this is the second MAAC final they have gone to in the last two years -- they lost 12-3 to Siena in 2012.

okinawatyphoon

Sounds similar to our situation in bowling, perhaps. I'd also like to note that we are going to the NCAA tournament in men's golf after only 5 or so years with the program.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

VULB#62

blackpantheruwm

Lacrosse is a very fun sport to watch and I see it taking some of the thunder when football eventually declines.

My sister lived in Baltimore for a number of years, and I got to watch a few Johns Hopkins games. Just a wonderful atmosphere.

I watched Duke trounce Marquette yesterday here in Milwaukee; I only wish that my pleas seven years ago to add a lax program would have been heeded. Oh well, when Marquette gets a long enough home season I'll be purchasing season tickets.

mvandersee

Interesting to see that out of the 6 first round games completed so far the Titans actually kept the game closest out of any of the losing teams. Also cool to see that 2 of the Quarterfinal games will be in Indy at Lucas Oil next Sunday. Makes it look like the NCAA wants the sport to expand in the state of Indiana. Personally I'd love to see some lacrosse at Brown Field in the near future!

wh

I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed somewhere, but might starting a lacrosse team  be a good alternative to football?  Not trying to upset VU football supporters.  I'm just wondering if the university could more easily build a winning lacrosse program and get a better return on its investment. 

covufan

Quote from: wh on May 14, 2013, 05:44:00 PM
I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed somewhere, but might starting a lacrosse team  be a good alternative to football?  Not trying to upset VU football supporters.  I'm just wondering if the university could more easily build a winning lacrosse program and get a better return on its investment. 
Good question.  LAX is really taking off around the country, and I can see why.  Good, fast athletes needed, but not necessarily big - like basketball or football.  The only lacrosse player I can think of is that Syracuse All-American from the 1950's that seemed to do OK in the NFL.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on May 14, 2013, 05:44:00 PMI'm just wondering if the university could more easily build a winning lacrosse program and get a better return on its investment.
Here's the long answer:  The University of Michigan took its club team to the varsity (DI) level for the first time this past year.

This was an earthshaking move: it was Inside Lacrosse's Story of the Year, 2011, even though they wouldn't actually be a full-member of DI until 2013.
http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2011/11/16/inside-lacrosse-december-issue-jiloty-—-michigan-going-di-a-game-changer

It was quite the established program at the club level, winning 11 of 13 conference championships between 1999 and 2011, and in fact had won 3 consecutive club level national championships from 2008-10.

They are the University of Michigan, fergodsakes, and they have money to burn, shall we say; they are one of
Quote[j]ust 23 of 228 athletics departments at NCAA Division I public schools [that] generated enough money on their own to cover their expenses in 2012
and #3 in generated and total revenue ($140 million) as well as #3 in profit ($24 million).
http://www.freep.com/article/20130508/SPORTS06/305080114/college-athletic-department-budgets

What does all that get you?

One win in their first season as an affiliate member (2012).

One win in their first season as a full member (2013).

Sooooo...you wanna start from scratch?

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

That's interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  I wonder how Detroit's experience has gone?  I'm guessing that VU would probably be benchmarking programs like that if it ever got serious about lacrosse.