• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Progress...

Started by vu72, June 02, 2013, 07:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

As another year comes to a close my feeling is that Valpo has made great progress in several areas and that needs to be acknowledged.

Football?  Well, that is still a work in progress.

Volleyball?  A second place finish, still working to adjust to the Horizon League level of play, but on the way...

Men's and Women's soccer?  A rebuilding year but lots of great prospects.

Women's Basketball?  Wow, what can we say...A opening season win against the Big12 was encouraging but, much work to be done.

Men's Basketball?  A return to the Dance for the first time in this conference and as exciting a recruiting class as perhaps we have ever seen.

Softball?  Our return to the NCAAs and, a first EVER win.  More to come...

Baseball?  A return to the NCAAs and our first win in 47 years.

Our coaching is top notch, our players are an ever improving level of player and they still bring all the qualities we hold dear for Valpo athletes.

We won't hear anything about the success from people like setshot but nonetheless, there has been a bunch...Keep it up and GO VALPO!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

okinawatyphoon

Don't forget men's golf as well!
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

HC

AD has done a fantastic job hiring very good coaches, these coaches have done a very nice job coaching and recruiting quality athletes, the fundraising department has done a very nice job raising money to pay the higher salaries/budget these coaches and their programs demand. Ultimately it will be up to the athletes and other alumni to come through with the donations to help keep this thing going in the positive direction it appears to be headed!

vu72

Quote from: HC on June 02, 2013, 09:15:22 PM
AD has done a fantastic job hiring very good coaches, these coaches have done a very nice job coaching and recruiting quality athletes, the fundraising department has done a very nice job raising money to pay the higher salaries/budget these coaches and their programs demand. Ultimately it will be up to the athletes and other alumni to come through with the donations to help keep this thing going in the positive direction it appears to be headed!

Ah yes, men's golf, women's bowling...it is becoming hard to keep up with all the progress!  Let's all dig a little deeper to support the facility upgrades necessary to put us on the bigger map!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

The official video review of 2012-2013:

2012-2013 Year in Valpo Athletics

bbtds

I will in no way argue that Mark and his coaches have not done a great job. On the other hand they have received little support as far as facilities and improvements to the athletic department from the board of directors (which ties the hands of the president-Pres. Heckler gives great lip service but he's not allowed to back it up with facilities and money) and that has kept Valpo from moving forward and joining conferences, such as the MO Valley. I applaud Mark LaBarbera and the coaching staffs in the Valpo athletic department. They have done a wonderful job despite the non-support of the BOD.

Hip, hip hurray!!!!

You have truly done a wonderful job and we, the true supporters of Valpo athletics, hope you stay at Valpo.

vufan75

Quote from: bbtds on June 03, 2013, 06:20:53 PM
I will in no way argue that Mark and his coaches have not done a great job. On the other hand they have received little support as far as facilities and improvements to the athletic department from the board of directors (which ties the hands of the president-Pres. Heckler gives great lip service but he's not allowed to back it up with facilities and money) and that has kept Valpo from moving forward and joining conferences, such as the MO Valley. I applaud Mark LaBarbera and the coaching staffs in the Valpo athletic department. They have done a wonderful job despite the non-support of the BOD.

Hip, hip hurray!!!!

You have truly done a wonderful job and we, the true supporters of Valpo athletics, hope you stay at Valpo.

Well said,  bbtds. Mark has brought a great level of professionalism to the a AD job at Valpo, has worked hard at developing a larger support staff for athletics, has increased athletic scholarships in several non revenue sports, and for the most part made very good coaching hires, and found ways to retain the coaches. If the.Athletics Dept had more support from the BOD in terms of improved or new facilities....who knows where that would take Valpo in many ways. It sure seems President Heckler gets it from the interviews he has given over the last few years. I know there are many areas of need at Valpo, all vying for limited resources. But after hearing about future new or improved venues for quite a few years now, it seems time to make it reality. Especially for what we consider our flagship sport of basketball, that brings Valpo significant publicity, locally and nationally. I would be thrilled to see the ARC renovation timetable moved up and done sooner than shown in the strategic plan. Oh well, I know it likely won't happen, but nice to think about.

By the way, does anyone know when the next capital fundraising campaign will roll out? Any ideas if any dollars generated will go toward athletics specifically? Is it etched in stone the fieldhouse will be built before the ARC is remodeled and renovated?

vu72

Quote from: vufan75 on June 03, 2013, 07:51:52 PM
Quote from: bbtds on June 03, 2013, 06:20:53 PM

Hip, hip hurray!!!!

Well said,  bbtds. Mark has brought a great level of professionalism to the a AD job at Valpo, has worked hard at developing a larger support staff for athletics, has increased athletic scholarships in several non revenue sports, and for the most part made very good coaching hires, and found ways to retain the coaches. If the.Athletics Dept had more support from the BOD in terms of improved or new facilities....who knows where that would take Valpo in many ways. It sure seems President Heckler gets it from the interviews he has given over the last few years. I know there are many areas of need at Valpo, all vying for limited resources. But after hearing about future new or improved venues for quite a few years now, it seems time to make it reality. Especially for what we consider our flagship sport of basketball, that brings Valpo significant publicity, locally and nationally. I would be thrilled to see the ARC renovation timetable moved up and done sooner than shown in the strategic plan. Oh well, I know it likely won't happen, but nice to think about.

By the way, does anyone know when the next capital fundraising campaign will roll out? Any ideas if any dollars generated will go toward athletics specifically? Is it etched in stone the fieldhouse will be built before the ARC is remodeled and renovated?

I also think that all the compliments headed Mark's way are due.  We have coaches doing a great job, but there is more to Valpo then facilities.  This could also be said of Loyola. The Valley chose Loyola for their location, not because they lack a track for their track team.  In the same way Valpo doesn't have the greatest facilities, but, they do have the best academics in the conference and that is drawing athlete after athlete. 

So, the BOD may be dragging their collective feet, and I agree that NOW is the time to make athletics a MAJOR part of the next drive, but, things like engineering, and having the only solar research facility in undergrad life, draws kids like Alex Peters.  So please don't overlook that the improved Academic facilites, as directed by the BOD, does have a positive effect on athletics at an academically challenging place like Valpo.

SanityLost17

Here is a good question.  What the heck is wrong with the Cross Country and Track programs? 

I only ask because I coach high school track and cross country in the area and none of my athletes have ever received ANY interest from Valpo, despite the fact that most all of the D2 and D3 schools in the state are WAY WAY WAY better than Valpo in both sports.  I just don't get it.  Southern Indiana doesn't have a track, yet they are very successfull.  Indiana Tech just won a national title on the mens and womens side for NAIA and they don't have a track.   It can't be money, because D3 schools are beating them.   It must be the coach, right? 

Valpo is a very good running city.  Fitness is celebrated there.  I just don't get why they are not toward the top of the Horizon every single year. 

VUfan

How did Valpo do in the all Sports Standings In the Horizon League?

valporun

Going back to SanityLost's post about what is going on with track and cross country...what can the teams do with a lack of scholarships to get some of the good talent in the NWI area? Combined, the men's cross country and track team has 1!!! scholarship to use, and the women's cross country and track team has 1!! scholarship to use. You can't recruit too many good runners from the NWI area on two scholarships a year. We know the lack of facilities is a problem, but when no money is going to any of those four programs to get some quality athletes, the coaches are stuck!!

LaPorteAveApostle

Putting the Student in student-athlete:
http://valpoathletics.com/news/archives/2012-13/12780/six-valparaiso-athletic-programs-earn-ncaa-recognition/

6 teams (all women's...) all ranked in the top 10% of their respective sports in APR (academic progress rate, which is an aggregation of eligibility, retention, & graduation): our
Quotesoftball, women's basketball, women's cross country, women's golf, and women's indoor and outdoor track teams each received the honor. All six squads were repeat award recipients, while the softball program earned the Public Recognition Award for a fifth straight season.
Kicking butt in the HL yet again:
QuoteWith six teams honored, Valparaiso leads all current Horizon League member institutions. ... Last November, an NCAA report showed that 80 percent of Valpo's student-athletes graduated within six years of enrollment and that they had a Graduation Success Rate of 94 percent, ranking highest among Horizon League members in both metrics.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

SanityLost17

Quote from: valporun on June 06, 2013, 01:01:44 PM
Going back to SanityLost's post about what is going on with track and cross country...what can the teams do with a lack of scholarships to get some of the good talent in the NWI area? Combined, the men's cross country and track team has 1!!! scholarship to use, and the women's cross country and track team has 1!! scholarship to use. You can't recruit too many good runners from the NWI area on two scholarships a year. We know the lack of facilities is a problem, but when no money is going to any of those four programs to get some quality athletes, the coaches are stuck!!

Manchester university and Wabash college do not have scholarships, yet they are consistently better than Valpo in cross.  I had a distance girl on my team who won the Lilly and could go to any school in Indiana for free.  I got calls or emails by just about every coach in the state that was not IU or PU, except for Valpo.  Distance runners are usually smart, meaning they get a lot of academic money. You are right, the coaches are in a tough spot, but a truly passionate coach who is good at recruiting can overcome and put a better product than that on the course.

covufan

Quote from: SanityLost17 on June 18, 2013, 08:46:32 AM
Quote from: valporun on June 06, 2013, 01:01:44 PM

Manchester university and Wabash college do not have scholarships, yet they are consistently better than Valpo in cross.  I had a distance girl on my team who won the Lilly and could go to any school in Indiana for free.  I got calls or emails by just about every coach in the state that was not IU or PU, except for Valpo.  Distance runners are usually smart, meaning they get a lot of academic money. You are right, the coaches are in a tough spot, but a truly passionate coach who is good at recruiting can overcome and put a better product than that on the course.
This is good info, thanks.

Sounds like VU needs a recruiting coordinator for all of the men's and women's track and field and cross country teams that could use knowledge of midwest HS teams and any scholarships those students have already earned.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: SanityLost17 on June 18, 2013, 08:46:32 AMDistance runners are usually smart
everyone who makes generalizations should be shot.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 18, 2013, 12:01:01 PM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on June 18, 2013, 08:46:32 AMDistance runners are usually smart
everyone who makes generalizations should be shot.

All your statements are so rude.

Ouch, that slingshot rock smarts like a distance runner. 

LaPorteAveApostle

There are three kinds of people in this world:  those who can count, and those who can't.

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 18, 2013, 03:39:45 PM
There are three kinds of people in this world:  those who can count, and those who can't.

Brother: And Saint Attila raised the Hand Grenade up on high, saying:

"O Lord, bless this thy Hand Grenade that with it thou mayest blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and large chu..
Maynard: Skip a bit, Brother.

Brother: And the Lord spake, saying:

"First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin.
Then, shalt thou count to three, no more, no less.
Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three.
Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.
Five is right out.
Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

Maynard: Amen.

Monty Python-Holy Hand Grenade