• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Men's Soccer schedule released

Started by bbtds, June 08, 2013, 07:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

http://www.valpoathletics.com/msoccer/schedule/

I noticed that we play Oakland at Rochester, MI in a tournament called the Grizzly/Spartan Crossover Tournament in Sept. Valpo plays at Michigan State in this tournament two days later. The game at Oakland is also now a conference game because OU joined the Horizon League while a game in Chicago against Loyola in October will still be played but not counted, obviously, as a conference game. Why not let Loyola schedule their Missouri Valley games in October and find a new opponent such as Northern Kentucky or Murray State?

blackpantheruwm

Because this isn't basketball. In hoops, June is late in adding games. In June, adding games for soccer is insane.  I'd be surprised if as many as ten NCAA soccer teams still had a game to schedule for the upcoming season.

Speaking of, how are you guys looking this year?

historyman

Quote from: blackpantheruwm on June 10, 2013, 02:34:17 AMBecause this isn't basketball. In hoops, June is late in adding games. In June, adding games for soccer is insane.  I'd be surprised if as many as ten NCAA soccer teams still had a game to schedule for the upcoming season. Speaking of, how are you guys looking this year?

One can only assume that Butler re-formed their whole soccer schedule last year around May 2012. Also VCU.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

oklahomamick

Another note for the soccer team, assistant coach and alumni Jeff Oleck, took a job at Northwestern. 
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

Not much of a home schedule!  One exhibition in August.  One non-conference game in September.  A good stretch of three conference games in October.  One conference game (and maybe the tourney, who knows?) in November.   Overall 6 at home, 14 on the road.  Plus the tourney.

No matinees :(

valpotx

Coaching announcement for men's soccer.  Neat to see a guy that played/graduated from Trinity!  My older brother was a 4 year starter (SS/2B in baseball) at Trinity.  It is a very solid D-3 athletics program.  Another side note (since I do so often lol): Centenary actually plays in the same conference as Trinity now.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/msoccer/news/2013-14/12811/mens-soccer-adds-altman-to-coaching-staff-promotes-roth/
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Why doesn't men's soccer release the results of their exhibitions?  They have played 2 in the last few days, but unlike the other sports, haven't produced any stories or stats...
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

We beat IPFW last week-end in Ft.Wayne, 2-1.  I think it was an exhibition but not sure.

valpopal

I can't offer statistics, but I can report the men won their exhibition last night against Lewis 2-0. (The second goal was a particularly fine header from a fair distance that went into the upper part of the net.) However, I can provide some of my photos. Below are three, and there are a number more in a set at the Valpo Sports Photography archive, which includes pictures of both goals:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157635253435015/

valpotx

Awesome, thanks for the updates and great pictures as always!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

By the way, in case you are wondering, the colors are not off in the photos: the team wore neon green uniforms that look like a textbook highlighter color and nearly glowed under the lights.  8-)

valpotx

That is our third color, added a few years ago mainly for marketing purposes I thought.  Maybe it will be more prominent in other uniforms, to differentiate us like Boise State does with their blue turf.  They have these types of outlandish colors for professional basketball teams around the globe.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Quote from: valpotx on August 27, 2013, 09:15:38 AM
Why doesn't men's soccer release the results of their exhibitions?  They have played 2 in the last few days, but unlike the other sports, haven't produced any stories or stats...

I'll let Mike answer that from the recently released MSO Newsletter:
Some have been asking why we haven't been more public with the results of the exhibitions, and I wanted to let you know that it was my decision. We have a great SID staff and they provide us with great support and coverage, so just know that it was my call and not a lack of effort on their part. The exhibitions are simply glorified practice sessions that are critical to our internal preparation. There is no real benefit to giving away any more information about our team at this point to our opponents, and regardless of how the scrimmages turned out, we still enter next weekend's season 0-0-0.

If any of you would like to subscribe just send him an email.   soccer@valpo.edu

Here's more on the preseason:

On the field, our varsity / reserve split is not completely finalized, but the quality in each group is apparent and bodes well for our future. The young players were thrown right into the deep end last week - playing five matches over seven days - and they gained tremendous college soccer experience while going 2-0-3 during that demanding stretch against varsity teams from the JC, D2 and D3 level.
The 1st team finished a two game exhibition set over the weekend with a 2-1 win over IPFW on Saturday night in front of more than 3,000 fans at the Shindigz National Soccer Festival in Ft Wayne, and then a home victory against traditional D2 power Lewis University (2-0) last night. We had a nice crowd out for our own Monday night futbol opener of about 500.

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on August 27, 2013, 04:30:20 PMneon

The uniforms were more of an optic green.  A bit more neon, a bit livelier, than our usual "accent color" (citrus green?).  They looked really sharp at night.

They also moved the benches for both teams to the home-stand side of the feel.  A move which I quite liked.  If you're going to have all of that room ("this space reserved for a track") anyway, you may as well put the benches where they can hear the fans.