• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

My campus visit

Started by 78crusader, August 04, 2013, 04:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

thanks ml2, are there plans in the works to replace the old ARC sign?  Why was it removed?  In general I don't have issues with the landscaping.  could it be better?  for sure.  Is it an embarrassment?  Nope.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Quote from: ml2 on August 08, 2013, 12:10:42 AMSome other posters on here might know better than me, but I think the stairs to nowhere in this shot show where the main entrance to the building was before the ARC addition was put on in 1984. Now they just lead to windows of the main athletic administrative offices.
If I remember correctly, those steps did lead to the main entrance of the Hilltop Gym.  If they now lead to just windows, and there are large planters there, why didn't they jackhammer the steps outs and make the landscape match sometime in the last 29 years?

valpo64

The steps were at the entrance to the swimming pool

HC

Maybe ml2 can get a blank check from Bill Gates to cover everything you want done.

valpopal

With this discussion about the appearance of the campus and landscaping, I thought I'd share this photo I took this morning that seems to display the Chapel is ready for the return of students:

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on August 08, 2013, 01:37:42 AM
Wow, thanks for the picture of the football field.  It looks a lot different without the hospital there!

One random observation about Brown Field, inspired by the picture.

I was up to see the Chicago Fire the other night.  For $12 (they were running a special), I watched two professional teams (both MLS) go at it.  And I was _much_ closer to the field than at Brown Field.  My view wasn't quite as good, perhaps, since I was in the corner (somewhere on the sidelines would have been $18).  But, I was _much_ closer.

I think the sight lines aren't bad at Brown Field.  I do enjoy watching soccer games there.  But, the grassy area, "this place reserved for a track", does add up to a sub-par soccer experience.

swiftmutiny

Awesome photo Valpopal. Can't wait to get back on campus!

VULB#62

Quote from: agibson on August 09, 2013, 02:48:18 PM
Quote from: valpotx on August 08, 2013, 01:37:42 AM
Wow, thanks for the picture of the football field.  It looks a lot different without the hospital there!

One random observation about Brown Field, inspired by the picture.

I was up to see the Chicago Fire the other night.  For $12 (they were running a special), I watched two professional teams (both MLS) go at it.  And I was _much_ closer to the field than at Brown Field.  My view wasn't quite as good, perhaps, since I was in the corner (somewhere on the sidelines would have been $18).  But, I was _much_ closer.

I think the sight lines aren't bad at Brown Field.  I do enjoy watching soccer games there.  But, the grassy area, "this place reserved for a track", does add up to a sub-par soccer experience.

Goes back to what I've said in the past:  Move the "new" track to the area directly behind the current visitor stands (which should be moved into the vacant grass area to make room for the track in its new location) and build a suitable home grandstand (at least 30 rows high) and press box closer to the field in the vacant grass area.  The new grandstand footprint would extend back to include most, if not all, of the old grandstand footprint.  Then enclose it all with a 6' high grass berm on top of which install permanent fencing and landscaping.

vufan75

Quote from: vufan75 on August 06, 2013, 04:54:56 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on August 04, 2013, 07:18:01 PM
Quote from: 78crusader on August 04, 2013, 04:12:51 PM
4.  The front (south) entrance to the ARC is in much need of landscaping and a new sign -- it looks quite neglected right now;

6.  The landscaping around campus, with the exception of the ARC, is literally 100% better than 10 years ago;

9.  There is no other way to say it -- the current football stadium is terrible and we need a one, right now!  I don't know how Coach Carlson convinces kids to come here with that facility.  Some trees that turn color in the fall surrounding Brown Field/the stadium would be a welcome addition, too;

Thanks, Paul, for the tour.  The comparison of #4 and #6 is interesting.  The simplest way to make a facility attractive (at least on the outside) is to do a good job with the landscaping and then keep it up, freshen it a bit every Spring, and just make it inviting -- curb appeal.  Sorry to hear that is not being done.  From an athletic recruiting perspective, facilities play a large role in attracting prospects.  Even though the ARC may have limitations as suggested by many strings in this forum, it can still always present itself well as you come upon it even before you enter -- "You never get a second chance to make a good first impression."  And a tepid first impression of the outside could taint what is observed inside as well.

The football stadium is on yet another plane.  No manner of landscaping will disguise the unacceptability of what presently exists for a D-IAA university football program. I think it might be Coach Carlson's strategy to recruit far and wide because the single visit a recruit takes  in mid winter might not convey the true picture of where they will play for 4 years. Local kids who visit more than once will see through that right away.  Just having the track in the void that now exists would improve the impression.  Powerball is up to $400 mm.  If I win, we can check this off as done:  6K capacity, ticket sales and welcome plaza, 2 level press box with President's/Crusader pavilion to entertain boosters, VIPs and everyone on this forum, in-stadium rest rooms and concessions, improved lighting, brick and steel fenced-in perimeter, gorgeous landscaping.

Good points made by both 78 and 62. I'm only at the ARC half a dozen or so times a year for games during the winter, so I can't comment much about the landscaping at the main south entrance to the ARC. But I will take 78's word for it, knowing the BOD's history as to the level of funding given for athletic venue purposes. I can imagine the ARC as it stands today, that the landscaping might need updating and freshening up. We seem to be hanging on to the idea that the ARC was just recently built and is fine as is. Well, almost 30 years has gone by at this point since it was built. It is no longer a "new" facility, and clearly in need of changes. Other than the Schrage addition courtesy of a very kind donor, the renovation of Hilltop gym a few years ago thanks to another donor, a new wood floor and modern scoreboard, nothing much has changed. Don't get me wrong, these were nice enhancements and upgrades. And surely different rooms within the ARC have been remodeled and are used for things other than the original intention, but basically the ARC today is pretty similar to the ARC of the mid-80's with the exceptions noted. Perhaps the landscaping is being left alone because of a pending major renovation to the ARC that is part of the strategic plan. Maybe the BOD has seen the years of neglect in several of the athletic venues, and has BIG plans to remedy this. One can hope anyway.  ;) 

62 is right, you only get one chance to make a first impression with folks, particularly in our case with recruits and their families. The football field itself is fine, as is the scoreboard. After that, I think many changes are needed at Brown Field to create some sort of "stadium feel" that just isn't there today. It seems odd to me that schools with smaller endowments have far nicer athletic facilities. Why not Valpo is the question I would ask?   

A view of the progress on the renovation of the football stadium at PFL member Campbell University in North Carolina. It doesn't look like there is a track around the field. But the stadium does look like it will be a nice place to play or watch a game.

http://www.gocamels.com/sports/fball/2013-14/releases/201308139og4o9

Barker-Lane Stadium construction update: August 13

BUIES CREEK, N.C. – Construction continues at Campbell's Barker-Lane Stadium.

Significant progress is made daily at the new-look home of the Camels, with most of the grandstand's structure and fixtures in place. Crews will begin installing seats in the coming days.

The stadium's major addition began to take shape two weeks ago, with the press box tower nearly enclosed.

With the main structure in place, interior utility work progresses in the tower, and masonry continues beneath the grandstand. Nearly all steel for the project is in place, as the team practices through training camp.

Barker-Lane Stadium has been the home of Campbell's football team since the program relaunched 2008. The stadium also hosted CU's inaugural women's lacrosse team in spring 2013.

Campbell announced Mike Minter as its second head modern era football coach on November 27. Minter officially announced his first coaching staff on Dec. 20.

The 2013 season will begin on Aug. 31 at Charlotte. The team's six-game home schedule will start with UVa.-Wise on Sept. 7 at 6 p.m.

LaPorteAveApostle

I just made my campus visit, and yeah, Paul, I have to agree with you...the landscaping (or lack thereof) has always been a problem at VU, relative to the other five campuses at which I have spent significant time, and to pretty much everything else I've been to...I mean, PuNC, for cripey!...

If we're stuck with the ARC for the foreseeable future, then at least let's gussy it up.

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on August 16, 2013, 11:38:37 AM
Quote from: vufan75 on August 15, 2013, 07:00:00 PMCampbell announced Mike Minter as its second head modern era football coach on November 27. Minter officially announced his first coaching staff on Dec. 20
I just realized, and this may have been discussed previously, that the name Mike Minter sounded familiar. Mike is a former defensive back with the Carolina Panthers. He started in the 6th game of his rookie year, and except for times when he was ill or injured, started every game during his career. In 2003 Carolina went to the Super Bowl against New England. Minter was ranked second in defense and actual broke his foot in the 3rd quarter. Despite the injury Mike stayed in the game. I really think the fortunes of the Campbell football team will change starting with the year 2013.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Minter

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Quote from: 78crusader on August 07, 2013, 12:26:28 PM
Fellow posters, bear with me. 

The ARC landscaping -- I should say lack of landscaping -- is particularly distressing to me.  What is there now is leftover stuff from 1984 when the place opened.  Some old evergreens and ground cover.  That is it.  The sign that was there was taken down several years ago and not replaced.  I'm not sure I've seen another athletic center on any campus that didn't have an electronic sign out in front.  The university should spend the $20,000 or so it will take to put a sign in there. 

Many of us, myself included, are for the most part blissfully unaware of the financial pressures nearly all four-year colleges and universities are under nowadays.  I'd be surprised if even a small expenditure -- say 5000- isn't a big deal that needs approval from several higher ups.  But $5000 or maybe $7500 in landscaping this building would make a huge difference.  The entrance has southern exposure.  Perfect for daylilies and roses.  Put in some annuals like vinca in the summer and mums in the fall.  The place needs 2 or 3 very large pots filled with trailing petunias, salvia, and grasses.  It would be easy to plan and do. The flagpole -- rarely used -- needs to be replaced since it is too tall.  A shorter pole with a 4 x 6 US flag would work.  I'll bet that the members of this fan forum could raise that kind of money.  What do you all think?

The point is, small expenditures can make big differences.  Right now the ARC entrance is old and uninviting.  Rather than wait 5-7 years for the ARC remodel (yes, it will be that long since the fieldhouse must be built first, and that will take years) why not do what I've suggested?  This is, after all, the one building (other than the Chapel and Union) that gets the most pedestrian traffic. 

My wife and I have invested small sums in other landscape projects.  Just across the road from the south entrance of the ARC, right between the road and the sidewalk on the north side of the Guild-Memorial parking lot, we put in 5 maple trees.  Instead of a bare area we now have some really pretty trees.  We did the same thing right next to the west wall of the old gym/ARC, the side that faces the relocated Victory Bell.  We figured that some trees there were better than nothing, which is what was there before.  Maybe someone on this board who lives in Valpo or works for VU could take a look and maybe post a picture of them.  I like to think these trees have made a difference.

We always talk about supporting VU in various ways.  This is one suggestion.  Let me know what you think.  Thank you, Paul Thune

Whether by coincidence I don't know, but since Paul's post about how scruffy the landscaping looks at the front of the ARC, the area between the sidewalk and the building has been completely stripped down to bare dirt.   

T_$

Does it bother anyone else but me that we still have the original stairs of the ARC that lead to the windows of coaches offices? Or that we can't connect the sidewalk across the street from the ARC? Why did we just leave the opening from when they closed off the entryway of the old Dau parking lot? The cutting corners drive me crazy. Even with the new Welcome Center, they cut corners. What one of the admissions counselors told me was the decided not to put any storage over there for admissions booklets and handouts. So they have to go back to their old building to get what they need. They only put 1 set of bathrooms in the building instead of putting another one back in the office area.

HC

Some people just aren't happy if they aren't complaining about something.