• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Butler's Bulldog mascot Blue II dies

Started by bbtds, September 07, 2013, 10:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

http://news.butler.edu/blog/2013/09/mascot-blue-ii-dies/

In case you missed it, Butler's Blue II passed away a few days ago.

"Blue epitomized The Butler Way," University President James M. Danko said. "Without saying a word, Blue demonstrated perfect loyalty, team spirit, and steadfast pride in representing the University to the world.

"And he always made people smile," Danko said. "We will miss him very much."

valpo64

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

I think it does some what surmise the fall of the Butler basketball program from the limelight to lower levels. We will see if they fall as far as to DePaul status.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

milanmiracle

Quote from: historyman on September 08, 2013, 12:26:03 PM
I think it does some what surmise the fall of the Butler basketball program from the limelight to lower levels. We will see if they fall as far as to DePaul status.

DePaul had Ray Meyer...Joey Meyer, Pat Kennedy and...crickets.

Butler had Barry Collier, Thad Matta, Todd Lickliter, Brad Stevens, and now Brandon Miller.

BIG DIFFERENCE! Everybody wants to blame the coaches at DePaul, and there is no doubt they are huge part of the problem, but the other issue is the administration for hiring these smucks.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

setshot

Valpo had ...Homer Drew,Scott Drew,Homer Drew and Bryce Drew. Give us a break!  :-[

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: milanmiracle on September 12, 2013, 12:50:19 PMTodd Lickliter
now THERE's someone i bet would like to have the last 10 years back to do over
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

zvillehaze

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on September 12, 2013, 09:18:03 PM

Here's a different spin on your take ... since 2003, here's what he's done:

1.  Took Butler to two Sweet 16s and two NIT appearances in 6 seasons.
2.  Collected $5 million for his 3 years at Iowa.
3.  Returned to his hometown as head coach at Marian University.

By all accounts, his time at Iowa wasn't a success.  But as he nears retirement age, he's financially secure and doing what he loves in a city he loves and is very happy.  I'd take that in a heartbeat.

LaPorteAveApostle

All right, so not 10, but 5 years.  Just goes to show how long he's been down that it seems like 10 years ago.

Also just goes to show you the grass isn't always greener.

Butler wouldn't have made back-to-back title games with him, most likely, but they would still be a power, and he'd be there instead of Marian. 

milanmiracle

Quote from: zvillehaze on September 12, 2013, 10:44:44 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on September 12, 2013, 09:18:03 PM

Here's a different spin on your take ... since 2003, here's what he's done:

1.  Took Butler to two Sweet 16s and two NIT appearances in 6 seasons.
2.  Collected $5 million for his 3 years at Iowa.
3.  Returned to his hometown as head coach at Marian University.

By all accounts, his time at Iowa wasn't a success.  But as he nears retirement age, he's financially secure and doing what he loves in a city he loves and is very happy.  I'd take that in a heartbeat.

You also forgot one very important point in that list...his kid played at Marian. Doesn't get much better than that.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado