• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Men's Soccer Thread

Started by historyman, September 14, 2013, 12:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Nice 2-1 overtime win for the men's soccer team over IUPUI Friday night.

After giving up a goal in the first half on a defensive lapse despite controlling possession most of the first half, the Crusader men scored a late goal with 7 minutes to go in the 2nd half and the winner with less than 4 minutes to go in the 2nd overtime. It was a very exciting win and showed how relentless this Valpo men's soccer team is.

I now believe that they actually don't lose.

This story is from the IUPUI website.

http://www.iupuijags.com/news/2013/9/13/MSOC_0913130626.aspx

The host Crusaders pulled even on a goal from Todd Vervynckt in the 82nd minute and stole the win with a Nick Suker goal in the 106th minute, moving the Jaguars' losing skid to four straight.

Valpo enjoyed a 22-11 shot advantage while the Jaguars were whistled for 25 fouls and drew just 13 whistles. 

EDIT: Valpo athletics website story:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/msoccer/news/2013-14/12918/crusaders-defeat-jaguars-in-dramatic-fashion/

Crusaders Defeat Jaguars in Dramatic Fashion

"First off, it was an exciting game – we had a really great crowd for our first home game of the season, we want to thank everyone for coming out tonight and giving us support at home.  The environment was electric and you could see how our guys were able to feed off of that positive energy," said head coach Mike Avery.  "I think the fans definitely got their money's worth tonight."

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

Selfishly, arriving at half time (as Zev Taublieb's junior high coach stepped out of his cab from the South Shore station! we hung out), I was happy to get some extra soccer, after the first 90.

I heard some murmuring that the first goal was an own goal, but maybe not.  Valpo certainly dominated possession in the 2nd half.  IUPUI did have a forward that made some dangerous-looking runs forward.  But, mostly, Valpo looked pretty well in control.  If a little muddled and congested in the final third (Zev's old coach suggested they should take advantage of the full width of the field, nad broaden that attack). 

Valpo deserved to win.  So, good to see them get it.  Definitely exciting for them to equalize in time, and then win it with just a couple of minutes to go (isn't that what we normally call the 107th minute?).  It was a good game - a fun 45+10+10, for sure.  (Lots of fans lefter after 90... did they announce maybe a little too late that the game wasn't over?)

The crowd was pretty good - at least pretty good side.  I bet having the team benches on the ARC side makes the environment feel more "electric" for the bench, at least.  There was a pretty good, if not huge, student supporter section chanting and singing, drumming, etc.   For some reason, they started on the opposite side of the field.  (In past seasons, they mostly hung out behind the opponents' goal.) They thankfully came over to the ARC side for OT.  Father Kevin was in the stands, doing his bit to lead the cheering (from his seat, not from out front - but I definitely appreciated the effort! and it bore some fruit).

Too bad, as they announced after the win, that we won't see them until next month!

But, a solid start to the season.  Can't go wrong with undefeated.  Even if it include three draws. 

I've not checked the regional rankings this year, but perhaps Valpo will make an appearance?

agibson

Quote from: agibson on September 14, 2013, 03:23:41 PMI've not checked the regional rankings this year, but perhaps Valpo will make an appearance?

Interesting to see both Butler and Bradley picking up some votes in that national rankings.

http://www.nscaatv.com/rankings/college

Michigan State is no more receiving votes.  (0-0 draw with Butler in an exhibition earlier this seaon, incidentally.)

Ah, there we are!  #10 in the regional polling already last week
http://www.nscaatv.com/rankings/2142/NCAADivisionI/men/GreatLakes/Poll2
Tied with Michigan State.  I don't think I saw that in the weekly notes this week?  Maybe they were written before the poll was released.

Milwaukee's #7, with UWGB receiving votes.  I suppose Milwaukee's probably not _too_ far out of receiving votes nationally.  A great win over #12 Marquette, and 3-0-1 overall, having just knocked off Depaul in OT.

It looks like Michigan State wasn't all that entrenched in the polling, at least not the NSCAA coaches' poll.  They popped in after the season started, and have now disappeared.  Still, certainly a fine win.

agibson

Milwaukee's now receiving votes nationally in both polls
http://www.soccertimes.com/ncaa/top25/men.htm
http://www.nscaatv.com/rankings/2229/NCAADivisionI/men/National/Poll3

We hang in regionally at #10
http://www.nscaatv.com/rankings/2222/NCAADivisionI/men/GreatLakes/Poll3
Michigan State now having moved beyond this on the strength of their away win at Marquette (who's now merely receiving votes, and only in one national poll).

Off to Tulsa next!  T15/18 nationally!  Our toughest game yet, perhaps?

covufan

agibson

Interesting!  A complete national ranking.  It's a computer ranking, I guess?

Glancing quickly, is their soccer methodology similar to what I assume is primarily a football methodology?  They use game scores including margins?

Are the rankings any "good"? 

I notice they have Michigan State still at 25, a good notch above Tulsa, for example.  The opposite of what the human polls have currently (Tulsa in the top 25 - indeed 15/18, and a head above Michigan State).

agibson

Looks like Tulsa completely shelled them in the second half.  Valpo went down one in the first half, but it looked more or less competitive (going only by the stats).  Not so in the second half.  Looked like Valpo was completely on their heels, and got pretty well schooled.

Hopefully Western Illinois tomorrow is a chance to recover.

historyman

Final score was 4-0 Tulsa.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/msoccer/news/2013-14/12939/crusader-men-suffer-first-loss-at-12-tulsa/

We were definitely second best on the night; Tulsa is ranked #12 in the country and looked every bit that good tonight so you have to congratulate them," said head coach Mike Avery.  "To be fair, I thought it was a performance by us that left a little bit to be desired."

"I think we could look at a lot of different reasons why we had this result tonight – we had some tough travel yesterday, the numbers of road games we've been playing, and all those things," said Avery.  "But at the end of the day what really happened was that we ran into the really tough Tulsa team and they made us pay for every mistake that we made.  That was really the story of the game; we were doing fine in the game and we made one error and they capitalized.  They capitalized on our mistakes and that's what good teams are able to do."
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

Wow!  VU scores two in the 9th minute! 

The first off a corner.  Not sure if it bounced around in the box a bit, or if there was a header and then a deflection, or what.  Taublieb taking the corner got an assist, and so did Iwunze, while Graham gets credit for the goal.  Yannick Iwunze seems big and athletic, so one can well imagine him helping pull the ball down out of the air.

37 seconds later we get Nick Suker scoring, "breakaway off WIU turnover".  I guess it's not a running clock, so maybe they stopped it at the first goal and restarted it at the kickoff.  But, still, they must have turned over their first or second pass?  How long does it take to sprint down field?  Presumably there were defenders?

I've not looked at WIU at all.  They started 1-5.  So, maybe this is a game we should have won.  But, quite remarkable to see anybody (let alone a VU team) score two goals at that spacing, and that early in the game.

Remarkable start!

historyman

Western Illinois scores in the 2nd minute of the 2nd half off a corner kick.

Valpo 2
WIU   1

EDIT: Charles Barden scores for Valpo on assist from Zev Taublieb in 61st minute.

Valpo  3
WIU    1

2ND EDIT: Eric Bloom scores for WIU on assist by Tyler Chavez in 68th minute.

Valpo   3
WIU     2

3RD EDIT: Charles Barden scores on assist by Nick Suker in 75th minute.

Valpo   4
WIU     2

4TH EDIT: Jordan Aidoud scores on assist by Charles Barden in 86th minute.

Valpo   5
WIU     2

FINAL

agibson

They made a game of it, but Valpo wins 3-2.

chef

agibson

Quote from: chef on September 23, 2013, 10:19:57 AM
I think 5-2 was the correct final.

Ah, interesting!  That's a little more consonant with 2-0 in the 9th minute.  My 3-2 came from the live stats.  Could have been my error, or some technical glitch perhaps.

Sounds like a pretty wild match
http://www.valpoathletics.com/msoccer/news/2013-14/12946/crusaders-score-five-in-win-over-leathernecks/

vu72

The win over Western was impressive in that Western was the defending champ in the Summit, returned the defensive player of the year and was picked second in the conference for the current year.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Things start to get serious this weekend, for conference play.  Valpo goes to Wright State to play tomorrow evening.  Just a seven game conference schedule (we're still playing Loyola, but they're no longer in the conference, which I'd temporarily forgotten!).

Wright State's 1-4-1, but against some, though probably not exclusively, relatively tough opponents.  (I don't know the scene so well... maybe losing to Northern Kentucky in Dayton is a bad loss?).

Could be a good chance to pick up a win on the road.  Probably the only chance we have to stay above unbeaten Milwaukee on the conference table, for at least a little while longer (Milwaukee goes to winless Detroit this weekend).

agibson

Apparently the game's on HLN Live.  6 PM central time, I think.  I wonder if Wright State's production will be any more polished than Valpo's.

LaPorteAveApostle

if this is to become the "discuss soccer this season" thread, could it be retitled to reflect it as such?

i don't know if such things are possible, but 'twould be helpful.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

You want more threads? We could do more threads!

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on September 26, 2013, 01:28:24 PM
if this is to become the "discuss soccer this season" thread, could it be retitled to reflect it as such?

I was totally surprised but yes the originator of the thread can change the thread title. Of course that doesn't change the titles on any other posters replies in this thread.

valpo04

Quote from: historyman on September 26, 2013, 10:04:58 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on September 26, 2013, 01:28:24 PM

I was totally surprised but yes the originator of the thread can change the thread title. Of course that doesn't change the titles on any other posters replies in this thread.

..but will from this point on  :)

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

Big weekend for VUMSO -- Horizon match with WSU and @ #19 Dayton.  WSU is 1-4-1 but it could be a trap game as the team might be looking ahead to the match with Dayton.

While Dayton is 7-0 and nationally ranked here's who they beat:

T Kentucky 0-0 (exhibition game for UK - 2-4 so far)
W Eastern Ill. 2-1 (exhibition)
W IPFW 4-2
W Northern Kentucky 5-0 (Beat WSU and Loyola, tied UK in exhibition and IPFW)
W Lipscomb 2-0
W Western Ill 2-0
W Detroit 1-0
W Ohio State 3-1 (OSU having a down year - WSU tied OSU 0-0)
W IUPUI 2-0
They play Loyola Chicago (newly of the Missouri Valley Conference   ::) ) today

Dayton is beatable.  Go Crusaders

historyman

Wright State knocks off Valpo 2-0.

I really think WSU plays a tougher schedule and really plays tough defense. Once they took the lead the Raiders shut down Valpo's stubborn offense.

I also think Valpo may be tiring from a lot of travel. The Crusaders didn't seem fresh at all.

agibson

Going to be a tough one on the road at Dayton today.  Hopefully they can keep their spirits up.  It's back on the road to... Green Bay?... after that.

agibson

at about the same time as Valpo hosts league-leading Milwaukee.

This was quite a game.  From what I saw of the first half (missed the goal, watching from home while eating dinner with the family; muted), and what I saw in person in the second half, Valpo probably earned a draw.  But, Valpo lost 1-0.  I've still not heard how the goal went down.

The game was pretty chippy at times.  Valpo picked up a late red card for a "run across the field and shove you with two hands for pushing my teammate after the whistle".  The push got Milwaukee a yellow.  And got all of us in the stands to sit and watch for what felt like five minutes as the ref broke things up, consulted linesmen, came over and made sure the fourth official (is that who it was?) got the card assignments correct, had the Milwaukee coach shout at him for restarting the game by giving the ball to our goalie, etc, etc. 

Could easily have been 0-0 from what I saw, or probably 1-1 or even 1-0 Valpo.

A reasonable attempt at defending the home field against a visitor who's now ranked in the top 25 nationally.