• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

HL Previews USA Today

Started by wh, September 17, 2013, 04:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Kyle Binder interview with Scott Gleeson from USA Today regarding 2013-14 outlook.  Interesting points:

---They stress the importance of playing BCS opponents in preparing for the post-season.   Then they cite the only 2 decent OOC opponents on WSU's and GB's respective schedules to support their premise.

---Look at Gleeson's BR - a messed up bed and whiskey bottles in the corner below what appears to be a crucifix.  You gotta love telecommuting... lol

http://www.horizonleague.org/sports/mens-basketball

historyman

Quote from: wh on September 17, 2013, 04:02:05 PMKyle Binder interview with Scott Gleeson from USA Today regarding 2013-14 outlook.  Interesting points: ---They stress the importance of playing BCS opponents in preparing for the post-season.   Then they cite the only 2 decent OOC opponents on WSU's and GB's respective schedules to support their premise. ---Look at Gleeson's BR - a messed up bed and whiskey bottles in the corner below what appears to be a crucifix.  You gotta love telecommuting... lol http://www.horizonleague.org/sports/mens-basketball
And not one mention of a team besides Wright St and Green Bay. That's not really analyzing the Horizon League because in a lot of peoples' view this season the HL will be a lot more than just a two team race. You have to at least mention Valpo, the winner of the last two regular seasons, Detroit, tourney winner two years ago and possibly Cleveland St, Youngstown St and Oakland.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

EddieCabot

I'm sure Coach Drew will use this (and the other "expert previews") as motivation for the team.  I'm sure they want to do their best, but it never hurts to have a little chip on your shoulder.

EddieCabot

From the WSU board, here's the full USA Today preview for the Horizon.

USA Today's Horizon League Preview

1. Wright State
2. Green Bay
3. Cleveland State
4. Oakland
5. UIC
6. Youngstown State
7. Valparaiso
8. Detroit
9. Milwaukee

First Team

Travis Bader, Oakland
Kendrick Perry, YSU
Alec Brown, Green Bay
Cole Darling, Wright State
Kamren Belin, Youngstown State

Second Team

Keifer Sykes, Green Bay
Jordan Aaron, Milwaukee
Corey Petros, Oakland
Jordan Fouse, Green Bay
Hayden Humes, UIC

Player of the Year: Kendrick Perry
Rookie of the Year: Lexus Williams, Valparaiso

Recruiting roundup

Top Class: Valparaiso
Worth watching: Oakland
Sleeper: Cleveland State

Read more: http://wrightstate.proboards.com/thread/2666/hl-previews?page=2#ixzz2fOnrLz8w

Odd that they put two YSU guys on the first team, but predicted them to finish 6th.  Maybe they didn't realize that "YSU" and "Youngstown State" were the same team.  :crazy:

valpopal

The details of the USA Today Preview should provide a number of examples with specific motivation for Valpo. I'd like to see Capobianco make the first or second team. I also think the team will be inspired by the seventh-place prediction.

As for Williams as Rookie of the Year: given enough minutes, I think Peters or Yeo could have as much of a chance for that honor. In addition, I believe Carter will likely be the starting point guard for conference play rather than Williams, which could give him a chance for Rookie of the Year since I think transfers are eligible as well as freshmen. In fact, I thought the title was Newcomer of the Year. 

classof2014

The one question with WSU will they be able to score? Last year they had the worst offense in the league PPG wise, with only 62.0 PPG. They did finish 4th shooting wise but will their offense hold them back again this year.

People remember their start in the HL last season, starting 4-0, but they did beat UWM, CSU, GB, and Loyola, 3 out of the 4 worst teams in the HL. They were good last year but I don't believe they are a lock for the top spot in the HL. The main question around their team is scoring, we know they can play defense but if they can't score they will be good but probably won't be able to win the HL just on defense alone.

_____

On the other hand, having Jordan Aaron on the HL 2nd team made me laugh. He was a mediocre player on a team that saying they are terrible is a compliment. Not to mention he had a 37% shooting percentage, not very good... The only think USA Today got right was the PoY in Kendrick Perry, other than that it seemed like they just put names into a hat and picked at random...

vu72

Funny how nobody has even mentioned Lexus Williams on this board.  Where do they find this stuff?  Nothing against Lexus, and I hope he does very well, but a guy like Alec Peters, who was widely recognized as one of the top players in Illinois and who had offers from several BCS schools or Clay Yeo, who was an Indiana All Star, would seem more likely to garner this sort of prediction.  This stuff is laughable on many fronts.  With Carter and last year's Sixth Man of the Year playing point, I doubt Lexus will see the floor much his freshman year.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

Talk about throwing darts at a bull's ass, and hoping to hit on something...

hailcrusaders

Quote from: classof2014 on September 20, 2013, 08:38:23 AM
The one question with WSU will they be able to score? Last year they had the worst offense in the league PPG wise, with only 62.0 PPG. They did finish 4th shooting wise but will their offense hold them back again this year.

People remember their start in the HL last season, starting 4-0, but they did beat UWM, CSU, GB, and Loyola, 3 out of the 4 worst teams in the HL. They were good last year but I don't believe they are a lock for the top spot in the HL. The main question around their team is scoring, we know they can play defense but if they can't score they will be good but probably won't be able to win the HL just on defense alone.

_____

On the other hand, having Jordan Aaron on the HL 2nd team made me laugh. He was a mediocre player on a team that saying they are terrible is a compliment. Not to mention he had a 37% shooting percentage, not very good... The only think USA Today got right was the PoY in Kendrick Perry, other than that it seemed like they just put names into a hat and picked at random...

Given WSU's ridiculously slow pace of play, the 62.0 ppg number isn't as bad as it appears. Scoring sure isn't their strong suit, but they aren't the most inefficient team in the league.
#CrusadersForever

wh

Quote from: hailcrusaders on September 23, 2013, 06:47:44 PM
Quote from: classof2014 on September 20, 2013, 08:38:23 AM

_____

Given WSU's ridiculously slow pace of play, the 62.0 ppg number isn't as bad as it appears. Scoring sure isn't their strong suit, but they aren't the most inefficient team in the league.

I agree that it always seemed as if WSU was playing at a snail's pace, but the facts don't support this premise.  As you can see below, WSU averaged only 1 possession/game less than Valpo in conference play.  We were much more efficient offensively - 1.15 PPP(1st) vs. 1.0 PPP(8th). In defensive efficiency WSU was ranked 1st.  We tied for 3rd. 

TEAM-RECORD-Pos/G-Off.Pts/Pos-Def.Pts/Pos
MIL     3     13   53      1.16        1.35
CSU    5   11   63      0.97        1.11
LOY     5   11   63      1.03        1.04
GBU   10    6   64      1.06    0.98   
WSU  10    6   64      1.00        0.94
UIC    7    9   65      1.04    1.05
Val   13    3   65      1.15    1.04
YSU    7    9   68      1.04    1.07
Det   12    4   70      1.15    1.08

I think this shows that they didn't win games by slowing the pace. They won by playing very physical, lockdown defense, which overcame their offensive woes, more often than not.  With the new rule changes this season designed to cut down on "manhandling" on the defensive end, teams like WSU and GB are going to have to improve their offensive efficiency to be as successful as they were a year ago. 

Rule changes:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2013-06-24/ncaa-playing-rules-oversight-panel-approves-changes-foul-call

wh

Over on the Detroit board "Commissioner" has posted a thorough and enlightening season preview for Wright State.  He plans to do one for every HL team.  I will re-post them here as I see them:

Horizon Analysis - Wright State
by Commissioner » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:59 pm

I'm writing up some longer analyses of the various Horizon league teams this year, in no particular order. This is the first one, on Wright State.

Wright State:
2013: 10-6, 3d (T) Horizon; 23-13 overall, CBI.

At first glance, what's not to like about the 2014 Wright State Raiders? The Raiders return 12 players from last year's surprising 23 win team, including all five starters and 9 players who averaged 14 minutes or more per game. In addition, Butler transfer Chrishawn Hopkins (9.1 ppg in 2012) becomes eligible at the end of fall semester. The likely 10-man rotation will include 9 juniors or seniors. Not surprisingly, Wright State has been the favorite of most national prognosticators to win the Horizon this year.

But a closer examination suggests that the Raiders are not so formidable as they first appear. Let's start with last year's surprising season. To start, remember, that if this is the same personnel that won 23 games last year, it is also the same personnel picked to finish dead last in last year's pre-season polls. The prognosticators were wrong in their assessment of WSU's talent, but were they all that far wrong? Perhaps not.

Until the CBI, when they beat Tulsa (RPI 124) and Richmond (RPI 91) at home, the Raiders beat just one team all season with an RPI below 150 – Detroit, whom they skinned twice, once in the regular season and then on a last second shot in the conference tournament. Indeed, the Raiders were a remarkable 6-0 last year in conference games decided by one possession (that is, 1 to 3 points). You might call that clutch play or good coaching. But others would call that luck, particularly given that the Raiders were one of the league's worst free throw shooting teams, finishing 7th in the conference. Split those six nailbiters 3-3, and the Raiders would be looking at a 7-9 conference record and a 6th place finish.

Similarly, the Raiders' projected conference record, based on actual points scored and allowed, would have been just 8-8, with an overall record of 19-17 (That is, the average team with Wright State's points scored and points allowed would have finished 8-8 in conference and 19-17 overall, vs. WSU's 10-6 and 23-13). Again, you can call it clutch play and good coaching, or you can call it plain luck, or maybe some of each. But it suggests a decline is more likely than an improvement.

The stats show a number of weaknesses in Wright State that suggest that they overperformed last year. The Raiders were a so-so shooting team, 4th in the Conference (just .001 ahead of #5 Green Bay). They were 6th in 3-point shooting percentage and 7th in 3 pointers made. As noted, they were 7th in free throw shooting. Hopkins has a reputation as a scorer, but at Butler he was not a good shooter, hitting just 35.3% from the floor and 26.7% from 3-point range, so he may not improve things as much as some expect. In freshman wing JT Yoho, they did have the league's #2 3-point shooter, but Yoho's lack of defense often kept him on the bench.

In addition, the Raiders were not a good rebounding team, finishing 6th in the conference with an average deficit of 1.3 rebounds per game. Their offensive rebound percentage was last in the league, not a good sign for a so-so shooting team, and their defensive rebounding percentage was just 4th. Nor did the Raiders take good care of the ball. They were 8th in the league in total turnovers, ahead only of Valparaiso, which played a much more up-tempo game. And they were 7th in Assists/Turnover ratio, ahead only of 8th place Cleveland State and last place Milwaukee. This is another area where the addition of the veteran guard Hopkins may not really help – at Butler he had more turnovers than assists, by a considerable margin.

So how did the Raiders end up with 23 wins? Besides winning close games, the key to WSU's success last season was a swarming defense. The Raiders forced 15.8 turnovers per game, a remarkable number given their relatively slow-paced style of play (Only Detroit, playing a much more up-tempo style, forced more, an average of 16.4 per game. Similarly, they were second to Detroit in steals per game.) The Raiders come at teams in waves, constantly changing match-ups and keeping their own players fresh (which may have helped garner all those one-possession wins).

Even beyond the addition of Hopkins, there is reason to believe the Raiders could improve in 2014. The team's best player, 6-8 forward Cole Darling, missed 13 games last year with injuries, including the final 10. The sharpshooter Yoho should be more consistent and can pick up his defense; junior point Reggie Arceneaux has also been inconsistent for two years but may be ready to blossom. Junior forward Tavares Sledge is another player who has yet to reach the potential he showed as a recruit. The team's tremendous depth allows it to go big or small as the circumstances demand, and they can accordingly match up well with any team in the league.

Despite these advantages, color me a Wright State skeptic. It's not that I think they're going to completely collapse or anything, and in fact a cream puff non-conference schedule almost guarantees an overall 18 win season and a CIT bid in a worst case scenario. But as I've tried to demonstrate above, I think their success last season is a bit misleading. They look to me more like a team heading for a come-down than a charge to the top. And that's before we consider the possible effects of injuries. 6-5 senior guard Matt Vest, the only player to start all 36 games last season, had hip surgery in the off-season. His recovery remains uncertain. Darling has had a series of shoulder problems that have hindered him throughout his collegiate career, and as noted missed the last quarter of last season with a foot injury and recurring shoulder problems. 6-10 senior forward A.J. Pacher also had off-season surgery. Wright State's depth could be sorely tested.

There's a reason why Wright State is generally considered the Horizon pre-season favorite, and frankly, they've earned it. But there's also an old adage, "buy low, sell high." Last year was a good time to buy Wright State low. This year? Wright State will be a tough opponent in every game, and a factor in the race, but don't anoint them champs yet.

Probable Starting Line-up:
F: Tavares Sledge 6-9 Jr.; 4.1 ppg, 4.1 rpg
F: Cole Darling 6-8 Sr.; 11.3 ppg, 4.6 rpg
G: Kendall Griffin, 6-4 Sr.: 6.3 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 2.0 apg.
PG: Reggie Arceneaux, 5-9 Jr.: 8.9 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 2.5 apg; .346 3P%.
G: Matt Vest, 6-5 Sr.: 5.5 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 2.2 apg.

Other Key Players:
F: A.J. Pacher 6-10 Sr: 5.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg.
F: Jerran Young 6-6 Sr: 8.8 ppg, 4.1 rpg
F: J.T. Yoho 6-6 So: 6.5 ppg, 2.4 rpg, .422 3P%.
G: Chrishawn Hopkins 6-1 Jr.: (2012 Butler) 9.1 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 1.5 apg.
G: Miles Dixon 6-1 Sr: 8.5 ppg.

I think we have the most knowledgeable group of message board fans in the HL, but there are some excellent students of the game from other fan bases, as well.  Commissioner is definitely one of the best.   

motowntitan

WH,

He has his Valpo preview up now.

wh

Commissioner's season preview for Valpo:

This is the second of my Horizon 2014 team analyses.

Valparaiso
2013: 13-3, 1st Horizon, 26-8 Overall, NCAA

After a two-year run at the top of the league, Valparaiso loses all 5 starters and its top 6 players in minutes played last season, including 2012 Conference Player of the Year Ryan Broekhoff and 2nd team all-conference selection Kevin Van Wijk. But the cupboard was not left entirely bare, and there's quite a bit of new talent, so Valpo approaches the season with confidence.

This year's Valpo edition starts with size. The one sure starter up front is 5th year senior and Indiana transfer Bobby Capobianco. The 6-10, 235 lb. Capobianco averaged 5.9 ppg and 4.5 rebounds in 2013 while shooting 55% from the floor. Capobianco's game is too limited for him to become a break out star, but he's a very good player and will be a solid regular. Likely to join Capobianco up front is 6-10, 245 lb. Jamaican Junior Vashil Fernandez. Fernandez averaged just 7 minutes per game in 27 games last year, but Valpo has anticipated big things from the big guy since his signing. If Fernandez can't step up, the Crusaders will turn to 7-0 Alabama transfer Moussa Gueye. Gueye is not an offensive threat, but he rebounds and alters the shot of most anybody trying to get in the lane. I think it is unlikely that both Fernandez and Gueye will start, but the option to go huge across the front line is a nice one to have. But if only one starts, as I think likely, I think Fernandez gets first chance because of his greater upside. Also available is David Chadwick, a 6-9 5th year senior transfer from Rice. Chadwick lends depth but if he's playing more than 10-15 minutes per game it's not a good sign for Valpo.

A trio of freshmen are likely to battle for the final spot in the front line: 6-7 Jubril Adekoya, 6-8 Alec Peters, and 6-4 Clay Yeo. Peters, who chose Valpo over Boston College, Butler, St. Louis and a number of other offers, is probably the best of the trio. Adekoya also fielded a host of mid-major offers before choosing the Crusaders. Yeo is not as good a player as Peters and Adekoya, but he's a bigger scoring threat on a team that needs to find points, and a better ball handler on a team that, at least early, will be weak at PG. He's also a three point threat, which this team needs. As a result, I think he'll get the nod. Alternatively, if none of the frosh are ready Coach Bryce Drew could go with 6-5 senior guard Jordan Coleman on the wing. Coleman averaged 4.4 points and 2.5 rebounds in just under 15 minutes per game last season.

Valpo's best player may be a guy who's played all of 39 minutes of college ball and won't be eligible until mid-December. Former St. Louis coach Rick Majerus once called Billiken transfer Keith Carter the best floor leader he'd ever coached after Andre Miller. As a freshman last year, Carter was injured in the Billikens' second game of the season, missed 7 games, returned to play 21 minutes against Eastern Illinois on December 19, and then announced two days later he was leaving the program. He'll be eligible for Valpo's game against NAIA member Southeastern on December 22, and the Crusaders need him badly. A key weakness to last season's squad was lack of depth at the point, which Detroit, in particular, used to its advantage. Carter will be the Crusaders' point once eligible.

Until then, they'll muddle through the non-conference schedule with South Florida transfer Lavonte Dority at the point. Dority is a shooting guard at heart, but was often forced to play the point last season when starter Erik Buggs hit the bench. He averaged 8.6 points in just 21 minutes per game, but had more turnovers than assists. Dority likes to chuck it up, but he's not actually shown himself to be a good shooter, averaging less than 32% from the floor in two seasons at USF, and 37% last year, including 31% from behind the arc. Still, he's the kind of guy who can light it up on a hot night. He'll probably slide over to the #2 slot when Carter comes in, although he could be used as a spark off the bench with the starting gig going to Coleman or another touted freshman, Nick Davidson. And still another freshman, 5-11 Lexus Williams, will back up the point or could even take the job from Dority until Carter is eligible. Williams is quick, sees the floor well, and should eventually be a good player, but probably isn't ready to step in to a major role this year. Nonetheless, given Dority's weaknesses as a point guard Williams will be given the opportunity to play if he shows well in practice.

Valpo's biggest problem this year may be getting points on the board, an odd situation for a school that is usually at or near the top of the conference in scoring and points per possession. If Drew lets him, Dority would be happy to chuck up 20 shots a night and average about 14-15 ppg, but that's probably not the best move for a winning team. Capobianco should average in double digits and is capable of the occasional big night, but he's not a true, consistent scoring threat. So someone has to step up there – it could be Fernandez or Coleman, or perhaps Carter, or one of the freshman – all are possibilities but none the obvious candidate.

In two years at Valpo Bryce Drew has shown himself to be one of the nation's best young coaches, but this year will easily be his toughest test to date. He's got to bring together a team of freshmen and transfers, mix in a new point guard ten days before the conference schedule begins, and find somebody who can score points. And there's not much time to do this: they've got games with Murray State, Mercer, Central Florida, and at Illinois, Ohio U. and Evansville, before the end of November. Then St. Louis visits on December 7. So don't be surprised if Valpo is slow out of the gate.

But ultimately, there's talent here. Valpo is a likely middle of the pack team, perhaps finishing as high as 3rd or a low as 7th or even 8th. If I had to pick winners today, I'd likely pick league favorite Wright State to beat Valpo when they meet on January 10 in the ARC. But Valpo should get better as the year goes along, and if I had to pick today I'd pick Valpo to win a March rematch of last year's Horizon Tournament championship game with WSU. Other Horizon teams definitely don't want to let Valpo sneak through this year, because the Crusaders are only going to get better in 2015 and 2106 as Carter and the freshmen mature.

Probable Starting Lineup:
PG: Keith Carter, 6-0 Soph. Played 3 games with St. Louis in 2012-13.
SG: Lavonte Dority, 6-1 Sr., 8.6 ppg, 1.9 apg.
F: Clay Yeo 6-4 Fr.
F: Bobby Capobianco 6-10 Sr., 5.9 ppg, 4.5 rpg, .551 FG%
C: Vashil Fernandez 6-10 Jr., 1.1 ppg, 1.4 rpg

Other Key Players:
G: Jordan Coleman, 6-5 Sr.: 4.4 ppg.
PG: Lexus Williams, 5-11 Fr.
SG: Nick Davidson, 6-3 Fr.
F: David Chadwick, 6-9 Sr.: (2012 Rice) 1.5 ppg, 0.9 rpg.
F: Jubril Adekoya, 6-7 Fr.
F: Alec Peters, 6-8 Fr.
C: Moussa Gueye, 7-0 Sr.: (2013 Alabama) 1.4 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 1.4 blocks pg.

classof2014

The only thing I would change is I think Moussa will start before Vashil. Other than that I think it covers it pretty well. I think the dimension of the team will completely change once KC becomes available.

Personally I think we have more of a chance of finishing 3rd than 8th.

vu72

If Vashil starts over Moussa I will personally eat my Valpo banner.  So Moussa, who would have been a starter at SEC Alabama, decides to come off the bench at Valpo?  Right.  Vashil has a ways to go.
As for the freshman, picking Yeo to be a contributor over Peters is way off.  Sure he can score but so can Peters who is 4 inches taller and shot over 40% last year from the 3.  Peters is a Ryan Broekhoff prototype.  I expect Peters to start at the 3 with Moussa and Bobby up front and to start out, Dority at the point with Coleman at the 2.  We'll see Williams getting some point time and Yeo some at the 2 or 3.  Vashil, Chadwick and Adekoya all getting some time at the 4 and 5 spots. That's 10 guys possibly in the rotation.  Something has to give at Bryce will probably go with his normal 8 person rotation, which means that after Carter is elgible Williams goes to the bench, Vashil's time in limited and either Coleman or Yeo's time is cut as well.

Nice choices to have...

Get ready for Alec:

Alec Peters 2013 Washington (IL) at the GRBA Championships
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Get ready for Clay, too:

Clay Yeo Senior Night Tribute, Valley at Triton

And, to think he's added 18 pounds of muscle since this video!

LaPorteAveApostle

Mostly I'm impressed that he wrote an entire VU preview without any sneaky cheap shots at Capobianco for the Anderson takedown.

I'd like to think I could have done the same were I in his shoes, but an early part of improving one's character is not fooling yourself.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

LAA, maybe he didn't mention it because Anderson graduated, and Detroit won't have a huge impact on anything in the conference besides trying to knock off any top dogs? I don't see Bobby doing what he did in Detroit with the "mauling" this season.

LaPorteAveApostle

Dude, if I were a UDM fan, and clearly didn't have a rational view nor understanding of that play, I would be mentioning that until Bobby Capobianco Jr. suited up for the Crusaders (coached by Will Phipps) and then I would start bringing it up aGAIN.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on September 27, 2013, 08:57:40 AMAs for the freshman, picking Yeo to be a contributor over Peters is way off.  Sure he can score but so can Peters who is 4 inches taller and shot over 40% last year from the 3.
I think if you could see Yeo play you would think otherwise. He is just surprising a lot of people and will make the team even stronger. I have nothing bad to say about Peters. He is pretty much what I expected but I think Yeo will score more if given the chance. Peters is the shooter. Yeo is the total points scorer. Yeo will do more without the help. Peters is excellent, Yeo is better. 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on September 28, 2013, 10:30:23 PMPeters is the shooter. Yeo is the total points scorer. Yeo will do more without the help. Peters is excellent, Yeo is better.
High praise!  That will be exciting to see develop, and I hope you're right.

justducky

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on September 28, 2013, 10:33:06 PM
Quote from: historyman on September 28, 2013, 10:30:23 PMPeters is the shooter. Yeo is the total points scorer. Yeo will do more without the help. Peters is excellent, Yeo is better.
Longer term this sounds great but I have to wonder how this will play out for this season. Will Yeos ballhandling limitations restrict him to playing only the 3 and the small 4, and if so just how uncommon will it be to see both Peters and Yeo on the floor at the same time? So here we are with more new talent and depth at the 3, 4, and 5 than we can use (much of it untested); and even bigger early season questions at the 1 and the 2.

I am optimistic that this can be a strong February team but I just don't see this sorting itself out quickly.

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on September 29, 2013, 02:28:44 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on September 28, 2013, 10:33:06 PM
Longer term this sounds great but I have to wonder how this will play out for this season. Will Yeos ballhandling limitations restrict him to playing only the 3 and the small 4, and if so just how uncommon will it be to see both Peters and Yeo on the floor at the same time? So here we are with more new talent and depth at the 3, 4, and 5 than we can use (much of it untested); and even bigger early season questions at the 1 and the 2.

I am optimistic that this can be a strong February team but I just don't see this sorting itself out quickly.
I agree with this with a few surprises thrown in. We could surprise Central Florida, Saint Louis (lost to Santa Clara last year), LMU or even Illinois (but not as likely). I think beating Mercer, Murray State, Ball State or James Madison would not be surprises but are just as likely to lose.

historyman

Quote from: justducky on September 29, 2013, 02:28:44 PMWill Yeos ballhandling limitations restrict him to playing only the 3 and the small 4, and if so just how uncommon will it be to see both Peters and Yeo on the floor at the same time?
I think you will see that Yeo's ball handling skills will not limit him as much as you think. He's as good at ball handling as probably Jordan Coleman.

justducky

Quote from: historyman on September 29, 2013, 03:59:47 PM
Quote from: justducky on September 29, 2013, 02:28:44 PMWill Yeos ballhandling limitations restrict him to playing only the 3 and the small 4, and if so just how uncommon will it be to see both Peters and Yeo on the floor at the same time?
I think you will see that Yeo's ball handling skills will not limit him as much as you think. He's as good at ball handling as probably Jordan Coleman.
I am not too concerned about his ballhandling at the 3 but since we can only put 5 players on the floor at one time, has he developed enough to compete with Coleman and Davidson and later on Dority for a little playing time as a 2? We do not know where our points are going to come from and here we have 2 of our best scoring prospects that may rarely be on the floor together.