• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The tone of the forum

Started by agibson, May 23, 2011, 05:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

This forum used to be such a calm, peaceful place!

I think I'd prefer to have jj back, over the current climate of "a little bit of sniping, and a little bit of over-sensitivity".

Surely we can disagree with each other without making personal attacks, and even if we feel like we're being attacked we can try to put the best construction on the posts of the "attacker".  (Stl, is it time for a quote from the catechism?)

dcvalpo

Quote from: agibson on May 23, 2011, 05:48:04 AM

I think I'd prefer to have jj back, over the current climate of "a little bit of sniping, and a little bit of over-sensitivity".

Surely we can disagree with each other without making personal attacks, and even if we feel like we're being attacked we can try to put the best construction on the posts of the "attacker".  (Stl, is it time for a quote from the catechism?)
:thumbsup:  I couldn't agree more...I'm all in, what say the rest of you?  Take a page out of 72's and my book...we were at each other's throats and decided to handle it like men and agree to a truce.  Hope the others in this thread who are at odds will follow suit.

sectionee

you guys enjoy your big heterosexual cyber hug....I'm taking the day off (need to use these sick days in the next few weeks) and going fishing with my son.  When I get back, ya'll better be getting along!

dcvalpo

Quote from: sectionee on May 23, 2011, 07:51:32 AM
you guys enjoy your big heterosexual cyber hug....I'm taking the day off (need to use these sick days in the next few weeks) and going fishing with my son.  When I get back, ya'll better be getting along!

Don't worry EE, I've got it under control  :)

Have a good time with your son!

FWalum

Surely we can disagree with each other without making personal attacks, and even if we feel like we're being attacked we can try to put the best construction on the posts of the "attacker".  (Stl, is it time for a quote from the catechism?)
Agreed, I was responding to DMvalpo18 based upon that perceived change in climate.  I thought his response to me was chippy and I escalated the rhetoric.  I have not been able to post much because of spending a ton of time at a new job.  I have continued to read most posts and for some reason this board can have a very different tone at times.  My apologies.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo04

Quote from: FWalum on May 23, 2011, 10:23:46 AM

I have not been able to post much because of spending a ton of time at a new job.  I have continued to read most posts and for some reason this board can have a very different tone at times.  My apologies.

I don't think these are mutually exclusive  ;D

It seems the "tone-setters" from the old board aren't posting as much, leaving new posters and some posters who barely posted on the old board to try to up their post count and set a certain tone here or something.

lowposter

Give us a report on the fishing, including quantity, type, size, etc.

Thanks,

lowposter

sectionee

The redears on the beds.  A good pair of polaroid shades is a must.  Brought home 6 plump ones for lunch.  In all the excitement my 4 year old stepped on and broke my fishing rod so that ended our day a little prematurely.  We did have the redears on a stringer on the bank, and while pulling it out to place another one on it noticed a 2 1/2 foot long snake was inches from my fish in the water.  Must have heard the splashing and wanted an easy meal.  Being that both my son is a big fan of Man v. Wild we thought this was pretty cool and wanted to catch and eat the snake as well.  Thankfully for me the snake wasn't interested in my beemoth!

wh

Quote from: valpo04 on May 23, 2011, 10:40:50 AM

I have not been able to post much because of spending a ton of time at a new job.  I have continued to read most posts and for some reason this board can have a very different tone at times.  My apologies.

It seems the "tone-setters" from the old board aren't posting as much, leaving new posters and some posters who barely posted on the old board to try to up their post count and set a certain tone here or something.

Rest assured that there is a cause-and-effect relationship occurring here with the "new" snarkiness and fewer "old poster" posts.  Current tactics of primarily one poster as supported by one other poster:

- Take issue with the mainstream of thought followed by something antagonistic like "I'm going to be in for it now from the Old Guard."
- Personally call out highly respected posters like vu72, rlh and fwalum.
- Offer to have a truce with '72.  Thank goodness 72 didn't even dignify this with a response.
- Act like an moderator wanna be and tell other posters they are violating board rules - rules he didn't even know existed until you pointed them out to him
- tell people they are headed to the woodshed never to return
- tell the world that the administrators are fair, but they will only take so much
- make up a fictitious inside contact that "tells me things"

Is this what we want - a board dominated by one or two people driving a confrontational agenda - like we used to have with rick or the Butler board had with duck on a rock?  I for one am not interested in playing someone's childish games.     

valpofan56

Quote from: wh on May 23, 2011, 12:27:25 PM

Rest assured that there is a cause-and-effect relationship occurring here with the "new" snarkiness and fewer "old poster" posts.  Current tactics of primarily one poster as supported by one other poster:

- Take issue with the mainstream of thought followed by something antagonistic like "I'm going to be in for it now from the Old Guard."
- Offer to have a truce with '72.  Thank goodness 72 didn't even dignify this with a response.
- Act like an moderator wanna be and tell other posters they are violating board rules - rules he didn't even know existed until you pointed them out to him
- tell the world that the administrators are fair, but they will only take so much

Is this what we want - a board dominated by one or two people driving a confrontational agenda - like we used to have with rick or the Butler board had with duck on a rock?  I for one am not interested in playing someone's childish games.     

:thumbsup: I couldn't have said it better myself wh.  I know the way this board has been lately has just about had me to the point of not checking it anymore.  Oh well, I guess if it stays this way maybe I'll be able to get more stuff done ;)

rlh

I think it's very simple, at least for me it is.  I have been involved in sports for 40 years of my professional life, have covered and been closely involved with VU for the past 17 years and am past the point of having to PROVE myself when it comes to my knowledge and support of VU and it's programs.  When that comes into question, then I simply have decided to turn off instead of argue or defend myself.  I suspect others of us "old" posters feel the same way.  I personally don't like the tone this forum has adopted lately.  I always thought we were better than other sports message boards, more tolerant, more aware....and I would hate to see that change.....

agibson

I figure it's a teething period.  With the new forum, and maybe for other reasons, the membership has changed a bit.  It always takes a while for such a forum to assimilate new people.  When there's a strong base, like I think we have (hang in there, rlh, and others!), the fundamental make-up of the board doesn't have to change.

Indeed, I also consider this board more civilized than average.  And, I think we can maintain that.  But, there may be some teething pains now and then.

dcvalpo

Quote from: wh on May 23, 2011, 12:27:25 PM

Wow, tell us how you really feel  :lol:

dcvalpo

Quote from: rlh on May 23, 2011, 12:37:28 PM
I think it's very simple, at least for me it is.  I have been involved in sports for 40 years of my professional life, have covered and been closely involved with VU for the past 17 years and am past the point of having to PROVE myself when it comes to my knowledge and support of VU and it's programs.  When that comes into question, then I simply have decided to turn off instead of argue or defend myself.  I suspect others of us "old" posters feel the same way.  I personally don't like the tone this forum has adopted lately.  I always thought we were better than other sports message boards, more tolerant, more aware....and I would hate to see that change.....

rlh, I do respect your knowledge and have not meant to offend you.  I enjoy being a provocateur and thinking outside the box, but I certainly don't intend to offend.  You've got a lot more years of VU basketball under your belt than I do, so maybe I need to be a little bit more guarded in what I say.

To all who are offended---besides wh, you never once talked to me about your opinions before throwing me under the bus, so I don't apologize to you for even a second---I apologize and will try to make the tone of this forum more friendly.

dcvalpo

BTW...

1) I do have an inside guy close to the VU basketball program

2) It is not "wrong" to call out a long-time poster...this is an open forum, it is okay to disagree with someone even if they have been posting for years.

3) VU72 did dignify my truce with a response and we worked things out.  Try reading before making statements.

4) The administrators are fair...how much they will take, I guess that is up to them. 

mj

QuoteI enjoy being a provocateur and thinking outside the box

So you just admitted to being a troll.
I believe that we will win.

agibson

Come now, someone who enjoys playing devil's advocate, or pushing others to think outside the box doesn't _have_ to be the same as a troll.

StlVUFan

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 23, 2011, 01:15:28 PM
BTW...

1) I do have an inside guy close to the VU basketball program

Either name him or get used to being doubted.

I understand the impulse to leak hints about big news (and plenty of connected folks here have done it, so I'm not singling you out).

But in this day and age, my reaction is: <yawn>.  Wake me when you've got some actual news.

Sorry, but when somebody puts out a teaser like this and then clams up, I begin to wish they would have kept their mouths shut to begin with.

dcvalpo

I totally see what you're saying Stl...I won't mention things again unless I'm ready to spill the beans.  I see how that could be annoying.

StlVUFan

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 23, 2011, 10:04:17 PM
I totally see what you're saying Stl...I won't mention things again unless I'm ready to spill the beans.  I see how that could be annoying.

I think that's a good approach for everyone, but I don't want you to think it ruins my experience in this forum.  I'm actually used to it, as I intimated.

My main message is that I endeavor to let such teasers go in one ear and out the other.   Others may too, for the same reason.  If you can live with that, it's all good.  Some people like to turn it into a guessing game, as you've seen.  I just won't be one of them, that's all.

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 23, 2011, 07:38:30 PM
Sorry, but when somebody puts out a teaser like this and then clams up, I begin to wish they would have kept their mouths shut to begin with.

I'm on the other side of the fence here.  Obviously it's only official when it's announced.  But, a lot of the fun of message boards is trading rumors, and speculating on the authenticity, etc. of the rumors.  It's even more fun when you know that the message board is populated by some interesting mix of people, some of whom really do have inside access to information, and some of whom may just be making things up (and sometimes you know who's who, and sometimes you don't).

I say, hint away.

dcvalpo

Ok, now I don't know what to think!  :lol:

I will hint, but sporadically...how's that?

FWalum

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 24, 2011, 09:04:22 PM
Ok, now I don't know what to think!  :lol:

Just wondering.... why did the move to the new board cause you to disgorge your opinions on almost every issue and topic? I was looking at the board earlier today and literally every new post in the basketball topic was from dcvalpo.  Many of us frequent posters on the old board have established identities, in several posts you seem to indicate that you have an established identity yet I have no idea what that is.  Since you really are dominating the board care to enlighten us a little on what makes dcvalpo a knowledgeable Valpo basketball fan?

After reading this again it sounds a little harsh, didn't mean it to be that way, just wanting to know a little more about our new #1 poster.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

DMvalpo18

Agreed, I was responding to DMvalpo18 based upon that perceived change in climate.  I thought his response to me was chippy and I escalated the rhetoric.  I have not been able to post much because of spending a ton of time at a new job.  I have continued to read most posts and for some reason this board can have a very different tone at times.  My apologies.

i apologize if you felt antagonized by anything i said. sometimes i can respond quickly out of emotion and not handle it as best as i could.

valpo04

Quote from: FWalum on May 24, 2011, 11:01:14 PM
Quote from: dcvalpo on May 24, 2011, 09:04:22 PM
Ok, now I don't know what to think!  :lol:

Just wondering.... why did the move to the new board cause you to disgorge your opinions on almost every issue and topic? I was looking at the board earlier today and literally every new post in the basketball topic was from dcvalpo.  Many of us frequent posters on the old board have established identities, in several posts you seem to indicate that you have an established identity yet I have no idea what that is.  Since you really are dominating the board care to enlighten us a little on what makes dcvalpo a knowledgeable Valpo basketball fan?

After reading this again it sounds a little harsh, didn't mean it to be that way, just wanting to know a little more about our new #1 poster.

This.

You went from 71 posts in about 2 years at the old board to this self proclaimed "well respected" poster with 194 posts in just over 2 months here.  I don't know if you are taking the new board as your opportunity to try and establish your "identity" and "knowledge" and basically control every discussion but the constant posts and comments referring to your "knowledge" are starting to wear thin and I'm afraid driving people away from the board.

Care to explain a bit?