• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

D-I Athletic Scholarship Table

Started by VULB#62, October 08, 2013, 10:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

In responding to the discussion that talked about starting hockey, I went to Wikipedia and found this.  Thought we all could use the information.  Hope it's accurate:

Sport                                 Men's        Women's
Baseball                           11.7        –
Basketball                         13        15
Bowling                              –        5.0
Cross-country/track & field  12.6       18.0
Equestrian                          –       15.0
Fencing                             4.5       5.0
Field hockey                        –       12.0
Football                          85 (FBS)
                                    63.0 (FCS)      –
Golf                                  4.5        6.0
Gymnastics                        6.3             12
Ice hockey                       18.0             18.0
Lacrosse                          12.6        12.0
Rifle                                  3.6         –
Rowing                               –         20.0
Rugby                                 –        12.0
Sand volleyball                      –          5.0
Skiing                                6.3          7.0
Soccer                               9.9            14.0
Softball                               –         12.0
Swimming and diving             9.9         14.0
Tennis                                4.5            8
Volleyball                             4.5           12
Water polo                           4.5           8.0
Wrestling                             9.9            –

From this table I conclude that if a school does not have scholarship football, it can add additional men's sports because the scholarship weighting is otherwise skewed to women's sports to compensate for football. But somehow when I check non-FB school websites they invariably have at least one more women's sport than on the men's side.  Someone out there have an explanation?

FWalum

I am pretty sure this information is not completely accurate because it does not show equivalency sports properly.  For example, Rifle is an equivalency sport for NCAA scholarship purposes, so partial scholarships can  be awarded in any proportion  to meet the limit per school and must be shared if the school has both a men's and women's team.  These sports can also in some cases have co-ed teams.  This website should help http://scholarshipstats.com/default.htm
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 08, 2013, 10:24:19 PMI went to Wikipedia and found this.   Hope it's accurate:
Wikipedia

(seriously, though, thanks for this, both o'y'all)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on October 10, 2013, 01:02:10 AMIs that from the Southern Dictionary?
could also be celtic, hebraic, or oriental
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on October 10, 2013, 01:02:10 AMIs that from the Southern Dictionary?
Southernese might be better "botha y'all", which sounds like name of a George Lucas character ("Botha Yall")