• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

BB on the radio

Started by valpospartan, November 08, 2013, 10:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpospartan

What happened to the radio stations that used to carry the basketball games?  I like to listen to Todd on the post game show, but WVUR is only listenable within 8 feet of the campus.  What a bummer.

chef

The Network this year is WVUR, WEFM and WJOB. Although WEFM and WJOB were not on because of H.S. football playoff action. WEFM will carry almost every other game, and their signal is good throughout most of Porter County.

agibson

WAKE! Say it ain't so!

WJOB seems to offer streaming...

http://www.wjob1230.com/
http://peace.str3am.com:6550/listen.pls

It wasn't immediately successful for me, but I'm still not quite streaming-fluent on this Mac...

The WVUR link on their website
mms://audiocast.valpo.edu/wvursports
was working OK for me tonight for soccer.  Over the years, of course, they've had a checkered history....

Thankfully, I do get WVUR at home.  I've got to be... as the crow flies... at least a mile from campus ;)  Maybe 1.5!  More like 2.5 as the bike rides.

In other streaming news, was it just me, or was the audio on the HLN feed really quiet for the Murray State game?  That's been an issue at times in the past, but seemed especially so last night.

In other audio oddities... how about WVUR?  Does it seem not entirely stereo?  I think the left channel maybe isn't on zero, but it seems like a lot more of the sound is coming from the right.

StlVUFan

So far I am 0-2 in getting the Android App for WJOB to work.  After a few seconds of "Loading..." I get "Stopping...".

Today I was in a low coverage area and I forgot to engage 4G, so I'm not ready to point fingers yet.  I suspect 4G wasn't available where I was anyway today (I was roaming), but Friday I tried it while I was driving home and it still didn't work.

Kyle321n

WVUR is on the tuned in radio app so if WJOB doesn't work, try that.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

StlVUFan

Quote from: Kyle321n on November 10, 2013, 05:32:38 PM
WVUR is on the tuned in radio app so if WJOB doesn't work, try that.
You mean TuneIn?

Kyle321n

historyman

Quote from: StlVUFan on November 10, 2013, 06:14:25 PM
Quote from: Kyle321n on November 10, 2013, 05:32:38 PMWVUR is on the tuned in radio app so if WJOB doesn't work, try that.
You mean TuneIn?
A great radio online app but not challenging the Chinese at all. We need to get a backbone and if the Chinese want to use our technology they should allow free thinking. You want democratic technology in your society you need to allow democratic ideas also. The Chinese stick us with their communist thinking.

http://www.techinasia.com/tunein-radio-censors-its-own-app-in-china/
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

StlVUFan

Quote from: Kyle321n on November 10, 2013, 06:38:04 PM
Yeah, that one
Test drove it for about 20 seconds after I installed it and I was impressed.  If it is better than the CBS YourDay app, for example, I will be well pleased.  Might be because it's just radio streams without all the extra crap.  I know this: it's already tons better than the WAKE Radio App I tried last year a couple of times.  And it's already better than the WJOB app I tried this year.

I'm going to listen to the woman's game tonight to give it a longer test run.

Kyle321n

Quote from: StlVUFan on November 12, 2013, 03:07:21 PM
Quote from: Kyle321n on November 10, 2013, 06:38:04 PMYeah, that one
Test drove it for about 20 seconds after I installed it and I was impressed.  If it is better than the CBS YourDay app, for example, I will be well pleased.  Might be because it's just radio streams without all the extra crap.  I know this: it's already tons better than the WAKE Radio App I tried last year a couple of times.  And it's already better than the WJOB app I tried this year. I'm going to listen to the woman's game tonight to give it a longer test run.

Holy crap that WAKE app was awful. It was 10 minutes behind, it would buffer after every commercial break and it was a ginormous app for only one radio station.  TuneIn Radio works pretty well for all station that aren't a part of the CBS network or the IHeartRadio network.  With those 3 apps you should be able to listen to any radio station in the country.

StlVUFan

Quote from: Kyle321n on November 12, 2013, 03:10:05 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on November 12, 2013, 03:07:21 PM
Quote from: Kyle321n on November 10, 2013, 06:38:04 PMYeah, that one
Test drove it for about 20 seconds after I installed it and I was impressed.  If it is better than the CBS YourDay app, for example, I will be well pleased.  Might be because it's just radio streams without all the extra crap.  I know this: it's already tons better than the WAKE Radio App I tried last year a couple of times.  And it's already better than the WJOB app I tried this year. I'm going to listen to the woman's game tonight to give it a longer test run.

Holy crap that WAKE app was awful. It was 10 minutes behind, it would buffer after every commercial break and it was a ginormous app for only one radio station.  TuneIn Radio works pretty well for all station that aren't a part of the CBS network or the IHeartRadio network.  With those 3 apps you should be able to listen to any radio station in the country.
I found WBBM, WSCR, and WGN on TuneIn.  I don't need YourDay anymore.  I did not find WDFM (Oakland games), but IHeartRadio app has worked fine in the past.

I think the problem is they want to give you all these extra bells and whistles.  YourDay offers video and text stories along with it.  I've been able to connect to WSCR with it when I'm in the St. Louis area, but too often the stream dies and I have to restart it.  I'll be interested to see how TuneIn does tonight.