• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Two Oakland players (Mondy and Williams) arrested for rape

Started by valpopal, November 15, 2013, 01:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Two Oakland University basketball players -- including one NBA prospect -- were arrested Thursday morning after allegedly raping a woman in L.A., TMZ Sports has learned.

Law enforcement sources tell us, 23-year-old starting guard Duke Mondy and 20-year-old Dante Williams were arrested inside a Culver City hotel following an SVU investigation, and subsequently booked for rape. They are each currently being held on $100,000 bail.

wh

Oakland fired the women's basketball coach for allegedly being "too religious."  Apparently, she should have been teaching some basic human values to the men's team. 

valpotx

This is just so ridiculous.  Not just that ANYONE would possibly do such a thing, but someone that is most likely wanting to make a lot of money in their field.  Do you think things like these just won't come up if you do them?  Idiots....
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Stuff like this is why I'm hypersensitive to recruits demeaning women in their Twitter feed.

If they're guilty, book THROWN.

OU's game plan just went from good to bader.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

According to cbssports.com, Kampe told them the charges have been dropped and the two players will fly back to Michigan and miss the California and Gonzaga games remaining on their trip.

Quote"They will be appropriately suspended upon review of the situation," said Kampe, who added that Mondy and Williams met the alleged victim at Wednesday's Clippers game at Staples Center. "This was more than going past curfew, more than breaking of team policy. It's more than that. I take it very seriously, am apologetic to our fans, apologetic to college basketball that something like this would happen."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24238764/two-oakland-basketball-players-charged-with-rape-in-la

Just occurred to me that Kampe didn't apologize to the victim but he may be waiting for the university's investigation.

LaPorteAveApostle

that's ridiculous.

carlos hyde, anyone?

...except who cares about oakland BB?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Similar to how jack a$$ Steve Alford never apologized for demeaning the victim in his Iowa coaching days?
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Wanna bet their "suspensions" will not last into the HL season?   :-X

wh

LaPorteAveApostle

They may be in the our league now, but they'll never be in our class.

(there they're still in the InContinent Conference.)

My recently earned respect for Kampe is gone:  get THIS:
Quote"This became a national story. That changes everything. If you run a red light and the cops don't see you, you don't get a ticket. If they see you, you get a ticket. The whole world saw us run that red light."
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131115/SPORTS0203/311150093/Oakland-s-Greg-Kampe-Players-were-never-charged-reported-rape?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|s

that's...that's ridiculous.  so he wouldn't have done anything to them if TMZ hadn't found out.

historyman

Just keep your daughters away from the Valpo motels on Feb. 9 when the Golden Grizzlies come to town. They play on Sunday afternoon but let's hope nobody's here on Mondy.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

That's the bad thing about being able to make such allegations.  If they are true, then it is a horrible thing to do, of course.  If the allegations made against people are just because someone regrets the decision they made, then it is ridiculous that people are held in jail while waiting for it to be cleared.  Look at this Winston case.  It looks like the police documents state the victim says her abuser was 5'9"-5'11"...Winston is 6'4" and you would think that someone could tell the difference between such heights, but I guess it changes your perception if someone is possibly drunk
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

On one hand, this is another case of a woman alleging rape after making a couple of extremely poor decisions.

On the other hand, these two boys shouldn't have put themselves in this situation in the first place. A threesome the night before a big game? You're Oakland University basketball players, not Magic Johnson.

StlVUFan

Quote from: a3uge on November 18, 2013, 09:39:39 AM
On one hand, this is another case of a woman alleging rape after making a couple of extremely poor decisions.

According to the arrest report, yes.  The worst thing is: all we can really say is that it *looks* like she was not a victim.  We can't say for absolute certainty.

On the other hand, these two boys shouldn't have put themselves in this situation in the first place. A threesome the night before a big game? You're Oakland University basketball players, not Magic Johnson.
Agreed.  A couple of OU fans (one is a media member I think) are going back and forth on this on twitter today, debating this very point.  The media guy is arguing your point, and doing just fine at it, so I haven't jumped in.

a3uge

Quote from: StlVUFan on November 18, 2013, 06:03:57 PM

According to the arrest report, yes.  The worst thing is: all we can really say is that it *looks* like she was not a victim.  We can't say for absolute certainty.

Agreed.  A couple of OU fans (one is a media member I think) are going back and forth on this on twitter today, debating this very point.  The media guy is arguing your point, and doing just fine at it, so I haven't jumped in.

I think I found what you were talking about. The argument "every single player in college athletics does the exact same thing" is prrrobably incorrect. I can't exactly see Chadwick and Clay Yeo having a threesome with a random "broad" late at night in a hotel room.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on November 18, 2013, 06:35:51 PMthreesome
how come no one's mentioned this?  not just "a trois", but a *devil's 3-way*?  that's awful.

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on November 18, 2013, 06:35:51 PMI think I found what you were talking about. The argument "every single player in college athletics does the exact same thing" is prrrobably incorrect. I can't exactly see Chadwick and Clay Yeo having a threesome with a random "broad" late at night in a hotel room.

I bet if you asked them they could think of somebody that would be mutually agreeable................I digress, that obviously would never happen..............or would it.............NEVER on a road trip or before a game..............I hope.

valpotx

Quote from: a3uge on November 18, 2013, 06:35:51 PM

I think I found what you were talking about. The argument "every single player in college athletics does the exact same thing" is prrrobably incorrect. I can't exactly see Chadwick and Clay Yeo having a threesome with a random "broad" late at night in a hotel room.

Crap, if everyone in college athletics does that, I missed out on the cool version of such a thing (no devil's 3-way)
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpotx on November 19, 2013, 01:08:01 AM
Quote from: a3uge on November 18, 2013, 06:35:51 PM

Crap, if everyone in college athletics does that, I missed out on the cool version of such a thing (no devil's 3-way)
I'm half there with you and half feeling really old because I think "casual sex" is a contradiction in terms.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: StlVUFan on November 19, 2013, 07:23:54 AM"casual sex" is a contradiction in terms
amen, brother, amen.  we'll inherit the ruins and rebuild western civ together.

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 19, 2013, 07:56:26 AM
Quote from: StlVUFan on November 19, 2013, 07:23:54 AM"casual sex" is a contradiction in terms
amen, brother, amen.  we'll inherit the ruins and rebuild western civ together.

We are a rudderless ship sailing into the mystic:

Colin James- Into the Mystic

Very alluring - until we crash.

LaPorteAveApostle

THAT'S NOT VAN MORRISON AT ALL

*we would also have accepted Glen Hansard