• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Wait 'Til Next Year

Started by KL31NY, May 29, 2011, 02:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will be Valpo's first Horizon League champion?

Baseball
3 (14.3%)
Men's Basketball
1 (4.8%)
Softball
4 (19%)
Volleyball
12 (57.1%)
Women's Soccer
0 (0%)
Other
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 20

KL31NY

Our fourth year of Horizon League competition is over, and still no champions. Of course, it's not a given right that we should have a title, but as anyone knows, we have been so close:

Baseball: 2011 Horizon League Championship Game (Lost first of potentially two games to Wright State)
Men's Basketball: 2010-11 Regular Season (Fourth place finish, just one game back of a four-way tie for the title)
Softball: 2nd Place Finishes in 2008 and 2011 (the latter by just half a game to Loyola)
Volleyball: 2nd Place Finishes in 2008 and 2009, Horizon League Championship Game appearances in 2007 and 2010
Women's Soccer: 2009 Horizon League Championship Game (Lost 4-0 to Milwaukee)

Believe it or not, we are now less than 3 months away from the start of the 2011-12 Valpo athletics season. Thinking ahead, who do you think has Valpo's best chance to win a Horizon League regular season or tournament championship? Let the debate begin...

NOTE: The picks are the five who have been the closest so far and do not necessarily represent the five best teams next year. They were just easy to pick.  :)
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

Crusader65

I think we are expecting better from each of the programs.  This is where they need to be - planning to win not just participating at the next level.  Will the first to win chronologically be the real first or will all that compete in the same athletic year 2011-12 that would win be the firsts for the program or the sport? I'm think of multiples! Yes, I can dream too!

vu72

I think men's soccer may also make a run.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

okinawatyphoon

Should help with our McAfferty trophy standings at least.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

new2ff

I will go with softball. They lost a few good players, but I am told they have couple great recruits coming in. They will also have the Marinic player back & I think an all conference player from 2010 that did not play this year.

DMvalpo18

i almost decided to vote for volleyball, but after what we saw this year from baseball i'm hopeful that they will be ready to make that final stride. if we could just start strong and be consistent. that hole really killed the team.

dcvalpo

I'm really thinking that girls' basketball will surprise next year!  With the girls Keith is bringing in and the impending decline of UWGB, don't be surprised if Coach Freeman has the girls dancing sooner than later.

You heard it here first!

DMvalpo18

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 30, 2011, 09:13:01 PM
I'm really thinking that girls' basketball will surprise next year!  With the girls Keith is bringing in and the impending decline of UWGB, don't be surprised if Coach Freeman has the girls dancing sooner than later.

You heard it here first!

i don't doubt that keith will work hard. but i honestly don't see him catching green bay anytime soon, or ever.

dcvalpo

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on May 30, 2011, 09:16:17 PM
Quote from: dcvalpo on May 30, 2011, 09:13:01 PM
I'm really thinking that girls' basketball will surprise next year!  With the girls Keith is bringing in and the impending decline of UWGB, don't be surprised if Coach Freeman has the girls dancing sooner than later.

You heard it here first!

i don't doubt that keith will work hard. but i honestly don't see him catching green bay anytime soon, or ever.

This is bulletin board material!!!   :thumbsup:

StlVUFan

I have no serious notion, so I went with the team that's been to the most championship matches/games (volleyball, unless I'm mistaken).

dcvalpo

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 30, 2011, 09:46:11 PM
I have no serious notion, so I went with the team that's been to the most championship matches/games (volleyball, unless I'm mistaken).

In hindsight, you're probably right!  Carin is a fantastic coach and is on the verge of big things.  Nicely done, STL!

KL31NY

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 30, 2011, 11:03:01 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on May 30, 2011, 09:46:11 PM

In hindsight, you're probably right!  Carin is a fantastic coach and is on the verge of big things.  Nicely done, STL!

Due to the program's consistency and the amount of talent coming back, I went with VUVB as well. Diebler and Layman are big losses up front, but there's more than enough depth to cover up those spots w/ the players that are returning.

I give softball a close second. Marinec and Ichiyama coming back will boost the infield depth, all the rock solid pitching is back, and as long as they can get a productive outfield from Strickland and whoever else is plugged in, they'll be a good team.

Baseball and men's basketball have decent shots IMO. Most of the rotation has graduated, so I'm hesitant to pick baseball now. If the basketball team can get consistency inside, they could be the team, but I'm going to wait and see how that develops.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."

covufan

Speaking of Diebler.  Has anyone from VU offered the Diebler's future children scholarships yet?

milanmiracle

Quote from: covufan on June 01, 2011, 10:25:25 AM
Speaking of Diebler.  Has anyone from VU offered the Diebler's future children scholarships yet?

If you're refering to Jon Diebler from Ohio State great idea!!!
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

dcvalpo

Quote from: milanmiracle on June 01, 2011, 02:32:03 PM

His children would probably just use us to get their less-talented cousins a ride.

covufan

Quote from: milanmiracle on June 01, 2011, 02:32:03 PM

Actually, I was referring to Tara Diebler, who graduated from VU and played on the volleyball team the last 4 years.  She is married to one Jake Diebler.  She's a Division I volleyball player and he is a Division I basketball player, both over 6'.  I don't care what sport, just get those kids a scholarship!

boomdad

Not familiar with the other sports so I will have to back the softball program. They were strong last season and should do well again with the kids they picked up.

KL31NY

Quote from: vu72 on May 29, 2011, 05:48:56 PM
I think men's soccer may also make a run.

Assuming you had the one vote for other, CONGRATULATIONS! The 2011 Crusader men's soccer team won at least a share of the Horizon League regular season title. Your winnings... unfortunately nothing more than extra pride  :) Give yourself a nice pat on the back though. You deserve it!