• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Vs. Loyola Marymount Dec 14, 1:05pm CENTRAL TIME Game Thread

Started by talksalot, December 08, 2013, 08:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Hi...  I'll start this thread with the CORRECT Game time at the ARC.  Seems there are two schedules out... the correct time 1:05pm Central.    So.  I'm thinking Valpo by 15.   These Lions are not Billikens.  They have not been victorious against anyone with an RPI under 230.  Back to Back Cross Country trips (played Friday 12/6 at Pitt, lost by 17.  The beat Long Beach State (0-9) by ONE.

They have a 7-player rotation...when looking at their PITT boxscore:

VISITORS: Loyola Marymount (6-3)
                          TOT-FG  3-PT         REBOUNDS
## Player Name            FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA OF DE TOT PF  TP  A TO BLK S MIN
02 BLACKWELL, CJ....... f  1-4    0-2    0-0    1  0  1   2   2  0  2  0  0  21
10 Dickinson, Ben...... f  5-10   0-0    0-1    3  3  6   1  10  2  0  0  0  27
32 Levin, Gabe......... f  6-15   0-1    2-2    5  9 14   2  14  0  1  0  2  35
01 Payne, Evan......... g  5-14   2-4    4-4    2  0  2   2  16  0  2  0  2  32
03 Ireland, Anthony.... g  7-17   1-3    5-6    1  1  2   2  20  5  4  1  0  37
11 Stover, Nick........    1-1    0-0    0-0    0  0  0   2   2  0  0  0  0   8
15 Osborne, Alex.......    1-2    0-0    0-0    0  0  0   2   2  0  0  0  0   4
21 Heller, Max.........    0-0    0-0    0-0    0  0  0   3   0  1  0  0  0   6
23 Flint, Chase........    0-2    0-2    2-2    0  2  2   4   2  1  2  0  0  17
42 Mornar, Marin.......    0-2    0-0    0-0    3  2  5   0   0  1  0  1  0  13
   TEAM................                         1  4  5   1         1
   Totals..............   26-67   3-12  13-15  16 21 37  21  68 10 12  2  4 200

TOTAL FG% 1st Half: 13-30 43.3%   2nd Half: 13-37 35.1%   Game: 38.8%  DEADB
3-Pt. FG% 1st Half:  1-6  16.7%   2nd Half:  2-6  33.3%   Game: 25.0%   REBS
F Throw % 1st Half:  2-3  66.7%   2nd Half: 11-12 91.7%   Game: 86.7%    1

Kyle321n

Well this is a "big" game.  It's MidMajorMadness's Game of the Week.

Valpo wins it by over 10.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

I think we let LMU in for a little but in the first half.  We come out in the second half and take control, but don't put them away until the end.

Valpo -  85
LMU   -  71

bbtds

gamelord

I'm the new guy here. Been reading the board for several years and finally decided to start posting. I jumped on the bandwagon after the '98 team and have attended at least 6 home games every year since then. So far I attended the Murray State, Mercer and Saint Louis games so far. This young team has molded well... much better than I had expected. I might get some backlash over this, but to me Fernandez is the worst player on the team. Sure he's tall and might get some rebounds, but he can't shoot at all. He misses everything from layups to free throws. Feel free to comment if i'm missing something.

My prediction:

Valpo 79
Loyola Marymount 66

classof2014

Quote from: gamelord on December 09, 2013, 08:35:47 PM
I'm the new guy here. Been reading the board for several years and finally decided to start posting. I jumped on the bandwagon after the '98 team and have attended at least 6 home games every year since then. So far I attended the Murray State, Mercer and Saint Louis games so far. This young team has molded well... much better than I had expected. I might get some backlash over this, but to me Fernandez is the worst player on the team. Sure he's tall and might get some rebounds, but he can't shoot at all. He misses everything from layups to free throws. Feel free to comment if i'm missing something.

My prediction:

Valpo 79
Loyola Marymount 66

Couldn't agree with you more on the Vashil comment. I was so optimistic after the MSU game where he exploded for 14 points or something but he gets in foul trouble quick which puts a lot of pressure on Moussa. He plays defense decently and is nowhere near as strong as Moussa   who seems to be coming around lately. Vashil is a good player but he is the weakest link, at least in the regular rotation. He has improved greatly from last year and I'm not expecting him to be an offensive juggernaut. Hopefully he can learn something from Moussa who can absolutely shut someone down and be dominant down low.

As for the LMU game, I think it will be a blowout in favor of Valpo. LMU isn't that good this year and Valpo wants to get that bitter taste of losing on a buzzer beater to a very good SLU team out of their mouth

Valpo 85
LMU 62

valpopal

valpotx

Quote from: gamelord on December 09, 2013, 08:35:47 PM

My prediction:

Valpo 79
Loyola Marymount 66

You are not too far off in regards to Vashil, but we need to focus on the fact that he has 3-4 years of basketball experience.  Look at the strides he has made from last season to this season alone.  He still does have trouble holding onto the ball, but not as much as last year, he gets more rebounds, and is developing some offensive moves.  No, these moves have not paid off in points yet, but he is learning them.  If he gets that hook shot to fall consistently next year, it will add a good component to our offense, as no one can reach that high.
"Don't mess with Texas"

classof2014

Wonder how a bunch of California boys will fair in the beautiful NWI weather. Cold and snow will be a plenty! 

wh

I see that one of their guys - Gabe Levin - is from River Forest, IL.  He graduated in 2012 (4th team all state), spent a year at a prep school, and is now a freshman.  He has some good numbers - averaging nearly a double-double:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/loyola-marymount/gabe-levin

I would imagine our Chicago area players are familiar with him - maybe Alec, as well.

gamelord

Quote from: classof2014 on December 11, 2013, 10:28:52 PM
Wonder how a bunch of California boys will fair in the beautiful NWI weather. Cold and snow will be a plenty! 

Add +5 to my score due to the weather. :)

In reality tho, I don't think it'll affect the game as I'm sure their already in the building a few hours before game time.

Kyle321n

We all know how great the ARC's facilities are.  The locker rooms could be quite frigid.

covufan

If the game were outside, the weather might be a factor.  Then again, Miami did beat Pittsburgh in the snow this past weekend...

justducky

Quote from: covufan on December 12, 2013, 11:31:29 AM
If the game were outside, the weather might be a factor.  Then again, Miami did beat Pittsburgh in the snow this past weekend...
As small as the Saturday crowd was we might be able to shovel off an outdoor court, throw up some temporary bleachers and give everybody who wants to come a decent look at the game. I'll bet that all of our guys from the midwest have played a little basketball under similar conditions (not sure about Moussa or Vashil).

Hmmmm.  Maybe we should challenge North Dakota State to an outdoor basketball exhibition game for next December up in the great white north. All we will need would be numbered insulated coveralls, earmuffs and mittens. It might be harder to find a crew of referees than a TV contract!

talksalot

Where are you going to find a scorekeeper, clock operators and an announcer and a radio team willing to sit out in this?

valpospartan

Quote from: valpopal on December 10, 2013, 10:29:15 AM
I know we've mentioned this before, but Todd is excellent at interviewing:

As he is excellent at play by play!

Kyle321n

My take on LMU

They've got 3 stars that we need to watch.  Outside of that we should win.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

classof2014

Quote from: valpotx on December 13, 2013, 05:57:26 PMI just don't see a team such as LMU beating us at home, but then again, I didn't see Mercer doing it either...

Remember that Coleman got hurt early on in the Mercer game. With a healthy Coleman we probably win that game.

wh

We just ran into the LMU team at Wendy's a few minutes ago.  It looks like they walked over from the Courtyard.  A few were wearing hoodies and basketball shorts.  Not exactly how I would have expected them to be dressed, considering it's 25 degrees and snowing heavily. Then again they are from LA. lol

The spread has us favored by 10 1/2.

http://www.oddschecker.com/basketball/ncaab/loyola-marymount-at-valparaiso-crusaders/point-spread

valpotx

Geez, that spread seems awfully large against what seems like a pretty good team.
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: justducky on December 12, 2013, 06:09:46 PMAs small as the Saturday crowd was we might be able to shovel off an outdoor court, throw up some temporary bleachers and give everybody who wants to come a decent look at the game. I'll bet that all of our guys from the midwest have played a little basketball under similar conditions (not sure about Moussa or Vashil).Hmmmm.  Maybe we should challenge North Dakota State to an outdoor basketball exhibition game for next December up in the great white north. All we will need would be numbered insulated coveralls, earmuffs and mittens. It might be harder to find a crew of referees than a TV contract!

Quote from: talksalot on December 12, 2013, 09:08:20 PMWhere are you going to find a scorekeeper, clock operators and an announcer and a radio team willing to sit out in this?
If the kids are willing to play in a 30 below wind chill blizzard then I have to question the value of trained scorekeepers and timekeepers (hard to do with fogged up glasses and wearing mittens). As for the announcer and radio team they can probably find some real men up there who would be glad to do it either bare chested or in a tee shirt, just to say that they did and just for the love of the game!

I bring up this outrageous hypothetical only because there is almost as good a chance of it happening as there is of ND ever heading up to Fargo for a rematch and that is the shame of our college basketball pecking order.  Hey is weathernerd still up there? He might show up in just sandals and swimming trunks.