• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Most Anticipated Debut

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, December 15, 2013, 08:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 18, 2013, 08:32:28 AM
The biggest overhyped player in Valpo hoops history beyond any doubt had to be Rob Harden in 1983-84.  They were bringing him in as the savior of the program where "next year is here."  He had a great shot, but was slow and could not play defense.  Also, his personality was such that he would have been kicked out of a Dale Carnegie course.

I never understood how the Valparaiso community supported him. It was embarrassing.

lol   :lol:

crusaderjoe

Quote from: Valpo89 on December 16, 2013, 05:43:31 PM
Now that I think about it, I never looked forward to anyone playing more than David Redmon and Casey Schmidt.
Why? Because the team was bad until they got there.
They were on campus for one year before they were eligible to play.
They were from Valpo High School.
They gave Tracy Gipson a chance to play with some good players.

And to be honest, I'm not sure we'd even be having this discussion if Dave and Casey had NOT transferred to VU. Because the program may have continued on its downward death spiral. Bryce may have gone to Notre Dame. Homer may have been fired. Who knows.

Nice post.  If we go from 1990 forward, IMO having those two guys transfer in and the Mid-Con regaining its automatic bid after the conference nearly collapsed are probably the two most important reasons why VU is where it is today from a basketball standpoint. 

StlVUFan

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 18, 2013, 08:32:28 AMI never understood how the Valparaiso community supported him. It was embarrassing.

Obviously because he was a huge star at VHS, that's why (though his younger brother Roger might have been even bigger).

I still remember a Sports Center Top 10 quality play I saw in person at Viking Gym when Roger flung a 3/4er court behind the back pass to Jeff Furlin who hit the center under the hoop for an easy layup that brought the house down.  For all I know it was Rob instead (memory is hazy), but both Harden's owned the town and almost took VHS to the Final Four one of those years.

zvillehaze

Quote from: StlVUFan on December 18, 2013, 07:23:28 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on December 18, 2013, 08:32:28 AMI never understood how the Valparaiso community supported him. It was embarrassing.

Obviously because he was a huge star at VHS, that's why (though his younger brother Roger might have been even bigger).

I still remember a Sports Center Top 10 quality play I saw in person at Viking Gym when Roger flung a 3/4er court behind the back pass to Jeff Furlin who hit the center under the hoop for an easy layup that brought the house down.  For all I know it was Rob instead (memory is hazy), but both Harden's owned the town and almost took VHS to the Final Four one of those years.

That's a trip down memory lane.  I saw all VHS's regional and semi-state games while Rob was there.  They made it to the semi-state twice, but never past the afternoon game.  The '79-'80 team with both Hardens and Furlin was probably the best team they had ... lost to John Flowers' (IU/UNLV) FW South team in 3 OTs.  One of the best high school games I've ever seen.

I'm still amazed that Roger H. was Mr. Basketball in '82.  He averaged 26.5 for a 13-13 VHS team, while 40 miles away, Scott Skiles averaged 29 for a team that lost only once and won the state championship.  If I recall, in those days the Mr. Basketball ballots were due before the state tournament.  That has since changed, probably in part due to what happened in '82.

chef

When I first started voting (the 80's), your vote had to be in after the regionals. Then Woody Austin went 6 for 30 at Hinkle in the semi-state. A week later Shawn Kemp showed at the final four that he was likely the best high school player in the country. When Austin was named Mr. Basketball it was pretty much an embarrassment. Thus the vote deadline was changed for the following year. Many believe that Glen Robinson would have lost out to Alan Henderson under the old system. However, when Robinson outplayed Henderson in the state championship game, that sealed the deal. Likewise, Bryce's performance at the 94 final four sealed the award for him.

usc4valpo

As a 1984 graduate and going to school in Hoosier Hysteria, I learned high school basketball was a religious experience.  The Rob Harden experience must have been the low point of the Tom Smith coaching tenure.  They hyped up this team based on the return of a slow 5'10" guard had an non-engaging personality and did not attend class.  That team started out well but defeated a bunch of ham and egger teams - including a Bradley team that had 8 players on their roster.  They beat Lewis by 2 and DePauw by 1.  Then came the infamous Eastern Kentucky game, where a 2-8 team beat Valpo and the joyousness of Harden's personality came out.

From that, Mr. Harden decided he would not play nice in the Valpo sandbox, and left for Reno.  What disturbed me at the end of this fiasco was an article in the Torch blaming the students and the fans for putting so much pressure on Harden to succeed and the tough challenges playing in the AMCU8.  My reaction was similar to Ditka's "Who're your crapping?"

justducky

Quote from: Valpower on December 17, 2013, 03:20:37 PM
Quote from: FWalum on December 17, 2013, 10:11:07 AMWatched some KC high school games and all I can say is that our bigs need to be ready to catch the ball because there is going to be a lot of driving and dishing going on.

This will be the ideal way to get offensive production out of Moussa and Vashil and I predict that we will see them fouling out less frequently when the opponent is racking up fouls as least as quickly they are.  (I don't know if defense-only big men ever work out that well, but when they are the floater in a mostly-zone defense, expecting them to not foul out based on pure technique seems wishful.)
As much as I am looking forward to his attacks on the basket my defensive anticipation is even greater. I keep dreaming of the type of pressure that he and Lexus in tandem could apply when working the top of the zone together. Keep in mind that our goalie defense has the advantage of allowing us some calculated overplay and anticipation that even when not resulting in turnovers may greatly limit their open looks.

Just like the Bear teams of old sometimes the best offense is a good defense.

StlVUFan

Quote from: zvillehaze on December 18, 2013, 08:29:27 PMlost to John Flowers' (IU/UNLV) FW South team in 3 OTs.  One of the best high school games I've ever seen.
I had to settle for reading about that game (I was at Rose-Hulman at the time).  The one thing I remember was Jeff Furlin missed a baseline jumper in one of the OTs that likely would have won the game.  "Just missed," he said, wistfully.  That's the quote I remember.

LaPorteAveApostle

You talk about your great VHS sports families, the Furlins have to be at the top of almost any list.  Almost two solid decades of giving us great players.

I remember being at a game in 1995 and Dave (the baby, then a senior) had clearly had a great game; when John Knauff read off that he had poured in 40 I was dumbfounded.  One of those moments you remember right where you were when "lightning strikes".

Plus Bunny is an absolute saint.  My First Communion teacher besides.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

zvillehaze

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 19, 2013, 09:15:18 PM
You talk about your great VHS sports families, the Furlins have to be at the top of almost any list.  Almost two solid decades of giving us great players.

I remember being at a game in 1995 and Dave (the baby, then a senior) had clearly had a great game; when John Knauff read off that he had poured in 40 I was dumbfounded.  One of those moments you remember right where you were when "lightning strikes".

I don't know the whole family, but got to know Jeff well.  Played against him in HS, college and for 15+ years after college in leagues around Indy.  After that, we watched our sons compete against each other.  The last time I talked to him was at a volleyball game our daughters were playing in.  Definitely a great guy.

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 19, 2013, 09:15:18 PM

Hmnnnn.  So unless Bunny is a guy, wouldn't it be against the church's teaching to receive instruction in the faith from a female??   :o :o :o  I'm of course givng you the business!   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

LETICIA FURLIN IS A SAINT!  YOU HEAR ME?  A SAINT!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

chef

Jeff and Ray McCallum were teammates and good friends. Dave and Bryce Drew were teammates and good friends. I don't know a thing about the church, so I second the Bunny is a Saint comment.

usc4valpo

Dorothy Mantooth is a saint and she brought pole dancing at nightclubs in San Diego.  I learned that from seeing Anchorman 2 yesterday.  Lots of laughs.

I was excited when Larry Doby transferred from Bradley to Valpo, but for some reason he never fit in. He was awesome at Westinghouse HS in Chicago, and DePaul and other schools were recruiting him.  He had some decent moments, but I think he was in Tom Smith's doghouse.  I never heard what happened to him.  He was a very quiet dude.

I am looking forward to seeing what Keith Carter can do.  Wow, Valpo's team is showing potential for years to come!!  Exciting times ahead.

valpo84

USC -- I think you meant Larry Roby.... Larry Doby played for the Cleveland Indians and was the first African-American baseball player in the American League.

Wasn't Bryce the most anticipated player? I was also eager to see Barton play and he did not disappoint in that opening weekend. Would have liked for us to have played IU in a "championship game" for that weekend. And that Western game in 95 Mid-Con Championship was incredible. That team deserved a post-game trip. Agree that Schmidt/Redmon transfers may have been the most influential recruits. The frosh class 94-95 season with Bryce and the Jenkins was also very influential. I also think the Lubos frosh class was also very important with Jason Jenkins/Jared Nuness the year before being very important because it meant that the roll would continue. The frosh class that Scott had was probably the most disappointing on many levels.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpo84 on December 20, 2013, 12:33:49 PMWasn't Bryce the most anticipated player?
Probably true. 

True story:  he had his college announcement in the choir room at VHS.  Karl Berner and I snuck into the rehearsal room which adjoined both the choir room and band room so that we could eavesdrop.  Knowing what we now know I am so glad Bryce had nothing to do with Digger Phelps.  When the announcement came Karl and I were giddy and were jumping up and down, high-fiving, and just generally causing a ruckus. 

I wonder if any of that made it into the choir room.  I think we were jubilant with impunity, since we figured the rehearsal rooms were pretty well sound-proofed.

usc4valpo

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think John MacLoad was the coach at ND at that time, not Digger.

BTW, every time I see Digger Phelps coaching highlights, it always reminds me of the great wrestling manager Booby "The Brain" Heenan.

Hey at least I did not say Reggie Roby - the great NFL punter.  Sorry 84.

agibson

Phelps was apparently head coach at Notre Dame from 1977 to 1991.  So, he should be the coach in question.

talksalot

If you watch the video highlights pgmado posted, you can see the coaches (Homer and Digger) "handshake" at the end of the game... OH, I'm the guy in the middle of the background of that handshake.... I was a lot younger back then.

IndyValpo

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 20, 2013, 10:54:46 AM
Dorothy Mantooth is a saint and she brought pole dancing at nightclubs in San Diego.  I learned that from seeing Anchorman 2 yesterday.  Lots of laughs.

I was excited when Larry Doby transferred from Bradley to Valpo, but for some reason he never fit in. He was awesome at Westinghouse HS in Chicago, and DePaul and other schools were recruiting him.  He had some decent moments, but I think he was in Tom Smith's doghouse.  I never heard what happened to him.  He was a very quiet dude.

I am looking forward to seeing what Keith Carter can do.  Wow, Valpo's team is showing potential for years to come!!  Exciting times ahead.

Larry Roby actually came to us from Wabash Valley JC after one unsuccessful year at Bradley.  He was effective for us averaged 10 points, 13 in the AMCU-8. He also was a black hole. He had 6 assists in almost 600 minutes. He was here for one year.

chef

A lot of people thought Bryce might go to Notre Dame. MacLeod was the coach when Bryce was recruited (93-94). He came to see Bryce play in a game at Michigan City Rogers. Without question it was the poorest basketball game Bryce ever played. Truth is there was never any chance he was going to Notre Dame. They were still a semi-regular team on the Valpo schedule. The Crusaders had blown them right out of the Joyce Center the previous season. Bryce had no interest playing against his dad. MacLeod's trip to Michigan City was a waste of time, and in a bit of irony Bryce's poor performance was a way of saying "stop bothering me"  ;D

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: chef on December 20, 2013, 10:21:21 PMMacLeod was the coach when Bryce was recruited
You're so totally right, thanks.  I remember that now.

There was talk of Syracuse...But Jim Boeheim grew up with my dad so that might have been window dressing?

usc4valpo

Correct me if I am wrong, didn't Bryce also look at Stanford?  For him to reject one of  the best academic schools in America certainly shows his commitment to his family and Valpo.

chef

Bryce took official visits to Stanford and Syracuse.