• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bryce Drew Contract Extension

Started by valpo95, December 18, 2013, 09:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo95

Just got an email from MLB called the Crusader Report.

In it, there was a link to a preview of the contract extension for Bryce Drew:

http://valpo.streamlinetechnologies.com/mbasketball/news/2013-14/13244/PREVIEW/

No details on the specifics, but it is for 10 years.

classof2014

Seems like Bryce will be a Crusader for quite some time. Never thought he would leave, he's been the pride and joy of Valparaiso. Just imagine WHEN he brings the team back to the Sweet 16 and beyond as the coach... there will literally be story after story on how Bryce did it as a player and now as a coach for Valpo.

We certainly are blessed to have Bryce at the helm. He's a class act and I wouldn't want anybody else representing our team, our school, and our city. Congratulations Mr. Drew, you've earned it. 

wh

Quote from: classof2014 on December 18, 2013, 09:57:35 AM
Seems like Bryce will be a Crusader for quite some time. Never thought he would live, he's been the pride and joy of Valparaiso. Just imagine WHEN he brings the team back to the Sweet 16 and beyond as the coach... there will literally be story after story on how Bryce did it as a player and now as a coach for Valpo.

We certainly are blessed to have Bryce at the helm. He's a class act and I wouldn't want anybody else representing our team, our school, and our city. Congratulations Mr. Drew, you've earned it.

This.

historyman

Quote from: classof2014 on December 18, 2013, 09:57:35 AMNever thought he would live
The heart issue he had in high school has been over for a long time. I didn't think an issue like that would be brought up at this time of a 10 year contract extention. Kudos again to MLB and President Heckler for at least securing our excellent coaches to long contracts. I really hope they keep working on the facilities and other coaches contracts.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpopal

Great news! This commitment by Coach Drew should reassure the current freshmen players and also help with recruiting new players. Bryce is a great individual to have as a representative of Valparaiso University and as the face of Valpo Crusader basketball.

valpotx

I believe he meant to say 'leave'  :).

He definitely deserves a contract such as this, but as we all know, this doesn't mean he will stay for 10 years lol.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on December 18, 2013, 10:08:21 AM

He definitely deserves a contract such as this, but as we all know, this doesn't mean he will stay for 10 years lol.

I was just going to say the same thing.  Coach Woodson was "under contract", Scott was "under contract".. The whole thing seems very much one sided.  The school is obligated to pay on the contract but the employee is not.  there may be provisions for a new school to pay a fixed fee to "break" the contract but beyond that the thing is hardly worth the paper and ink used.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

classof2014

I did mean leave, fixed it.

a3uge

I don't know, Bryce is still quite the binge drinker (he has been kicked out of Duffys a number of times) and had been known to snort cocaine in the locker room at half time when he was a student, much to the dismay of Homer. His wild lifestyle has always driven me to think that he wouldn't live either.

historyman

Quote from: a3uge on December 18, 2013, 10:59:43 AMHis wild lifestyle has always driven me to think that he wouldn't leave either.
Yep, where else could he have furthered his cocaine habit in front of his coach except nepotistic Valpo?

By the way, has the new football coach's wife, who was a better athlete than her husband, been hired as the Valpo woman's tennis coach, or at least as an asst women's tennis coach?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

setshot

In a recent report on college Presidential salaries,Heckler was listed as making $440,000 per year. If so, what could Bryce be making? ???

vu72

Quote from: setshot on December 18, 2013, 11:20:47 AM
In a recent report on college Presidential salaries,Heckler was listed as making $440,000 per year. If so, what could Bryce be making? ???

Unknown, but back in the day Homer was the highest paid employee, more than President Harre or the Dean of the Law School.  Stated salaries often don't tell the whole story either as Homer was getting differed comp as part of his comp package, from what I remember.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

ProudValpoAlum705

Absolutely ecstatic about this commitment to Bryce. Big things coming for Valpo!

"Hail Crusaders! Who rise to glory, our challenge has been hurled. Team Victorious, our colors glorious are known through out the world, Valparaiso, we're here to back you, Our cheers like thunder roar. See our school, see our team, see our colors gleam. Let's fight for the Brown and Gold! "
Hail Crusaders! Who rise to glory, Our challenge has been hurled. Team Victorious, our colors glorious Are known throughout the world, Valparaiso, we're here to back you, Our cheers like thunder roar. See our school, our team, See our colors gleam. Let's fight for the Brown and Gold!

valpo64

Another feather in M  LB's hat!    I remember talking to Alec P and his Dad just prior to his  commit to VU and what impressed Alec was the young, long term commit by Bryce and the coaches and their love for VU.  This should be a great recruiting tool for the coming years.  As stated earlier in this thread, let's get the facilities going now.

vu72

I just read Paul Oren's article about the contract extension in The Times.  I had wondered about when Bryce and his wife might want to have kids and the article confirms that they are expecting their first child in May!! How exciting for them.  Congrats! 

valpotx

Geez, now that makes me feel older.  My first child will be born in April, which means that my son will be older than Bryce's kid.  Congrats Bryce!!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Great news.  I am glad Valpo is investing in the sport generating the most success to the school. Nice work MLB.  Now it's time to expand, renovate the ARC, and sell beer at the games.

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on December 18, 2013, 12:05:04 PM
Quote from: setshot on December 18, 2013, 11:20:47 AM

Unknown, but back in the day Homer was the highest paid employee, more than President Harre or the Dean of the Law School.  Stated salaries often don't tell the whole story either as Homer was getting differed comp as part of his comp package, from what I remember.

I'm no accountant, but the IRS Form 990's that nonprofits file tell at least some of the story.

http://www.eri-nonprofit-salaries.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=NPO.Form990&EIN=350868125&Year=2013

has a reasonable set for VU.  I wasn't trivially able to turn up the 2012 version.

I'm not sure that the 2011 version has a full year of Bryce's head coach compensation - it may not (though Homer's not on the list of top paid employees...).  We may need to wait for the 2012 figures. 

In 2010 Homer's base compensation was a shade under 200k, with almost 65k in "retirement and other deferred compensation" (that pot's a factor of three larger than any other employee listed), for a total of about $260k.  That was good for the third highest total listed, behind Heckler and Conison (dean of the law school).  The Provost and a number of other VP's, and a number of law professors weren't too far behind.  (e.g. in the $200k+ range).

Looking back a bit further, in 2001, it looks like Homer probably was the highest paid employee.  $176k+$52k.  Ahead of Harre at $181k+$21k.

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on December 18, 2013, 10:36:22 AM

I was just going to say the same thing.  Coach Woodson was "under contract", Scott was "under contract".. The whole thing seems very much one sided.  The school is obligated to pay on the contract but the employee is not.  there may be provisions for a new school to pay a fixed fee to "break" the contract but beyond that the thing is hardly worth the paper and ink used.

Oh, and per the 2011 form 990, the $440k for Heckler includes all forms of compensation listed there, including "retirement and other deferred compensation".

LaPorteAveApostle

I've been on the board long enough to know that "salaries" is a conversation we have every year.  Kind of funny.

Beats discussing why we lost to so-and-so at home.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Yeah, it could almost be a sticky with a link to the IRS 990's ;)  Maybe a google doc?

Here's the thread, less than a year ago, where you introduced me to the forms.

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1371.85

Three cheers for public accountability!

LaPorteAveApostle

lol.  that's classic. 

also slightly embarrassing that you had an easier time finding the thread than I. :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Some of the comp figures are very interesting.  Lisa Hollander makes more than Mark Schwehn?  Also interesting that Keith Freeman was making 125k.  Doubt many would have thought Valpo would be paying their women's coach that kind of money.

FWalum

What a great "family" we have in the VU athletic department.  As a VU alum I could not be prouder of the coaches and staff.  Whether you are Christian or not, I think those values come through loud and clear in the way our teams are represented to the public and sporting community.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Interesting, from the NWI Times piece.  http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/vu-signs-bryce-drew-to-long-term-contract/article_d11e0a06-c718-562e-99f0-96b5e8610aa8.html

As for Drew, the contract represents deeper roots to Northwest Indiana and will allow Drew and his wife Tara to begin raising their family in Valparaiso. Tara is due with their firstborn child in May.

Apart from Paul having the Christmas story apparently very much on his mind... this could be bigger news for Bryce's retention than the contract!  Tara's due in May!