• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs. UIC, Jan. 2nd, 7:05pm CT Game Thread

Started by wh, December 31, 2013, 05:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: ARCInsider on January 02, 2014, 09:40:29 PM
Boy, that Keith Carter really sucks.
[/b]

I think we are just starting to see why he was the runner up to a guy going in the first round of the NBA draft. Somehow I think we are pretty well set at the point for a few years.  A very solid second half which very clearly showed the difference in talent between the two teams.  Now, results over the season will be mixed as this team matures, but a very solid upside and very nice win.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

StlVUFan

I sure hope Coleman got credit for that tip-in when it was 50-46 in the 2nd half.  John Bawker announced Capobianco and I and everyone around me immediately said, "No, that was Coleman!"

chef

Coleman got the tip...John is not the official scorer.  ::)

valpopal

We certainly saw the difference when this team cuts down its turnovers. In the second half UIC scored 0 points off turnovers after scoring 12 in the first half. The physical nature expected in Horizon League play was also on display. Valpo players were beat up quite a bit, with Dority and Coleman knocked to the floor a number of times, sometimes with no foul being called. Coleman was still bleeding during the post-game press conference, and Dority had his head hit the court pretty hard when he was flattened by Humes. In fact, after Dority was decked one of the times early in the second half, he seemed especially angry and even more motivated.

As others have noted, Carter showed skills we were hoping to see from him, and he alternated with Lexus in providing energy for the team in the second half. The guard positions were especially impressive with the ball handling: Carter, Williams, and Coleman combined for 72 minutes without a single turnover, and Dority played 36 minutes with only 2 turnovers and 6 assists. Those stats present one key to victory for this Crusaders team. Below are a few of my game photos including the four guards.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on January 02, 2014, 10:10:27 PMI think we are just starting to see why he was the runner up to a guy going in the first pick of the NBA draft.
There, I fixed it for you ;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpopal on January 03, 2014, 01:02:09 AMCarter, Williams, and Coleman combined for 72 minutes without a single turnover
That is amazing.  I hope it happens again and again.

Let's see...we always (under Bryce) lose our first conference game and still win the conference.  IMAGINE what could be possible when we WON that first game!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Sometimes I don't understand why is it so natural for a big man to dribble when everyone guarding them has hands that they can easily reach into the big man's "dribble zone" and knock the ball away. When Vashil was able to resist his urge to dribble (which seems to be the way he generates momentum to go back up towards the basket) he was able to get several put back points and under the basket points. He hasn't perfected his move yet or his put backs but he has made such huge steps toward his goal. Unfortunately the shimy was working on the FT's. 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

oklahomamick

Quote from: historyman on January 03, 2014, 09:47:15 AMHe hasn't perfected his move yet or his put backs but he has made such huge steps toward his goal. Unfortunately the shimy was working on the FT's. 

Don't forget the baby hook he has developed.  Its going to take Vashil, Bobby and Moussa to defend Oakland's Petros.  I hope we can steal an early road conference game.  2-0 much nicer than 1-1. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpo4life

Here's my  :twocents: on why we may not start off well in the 1st half but improve in the 2nd. For all that know Bryce, he's a not really a "rah-rah" kind of coach. He doesn't really seem, at least to me, as the kind of guy to really get these younger kids motivated with a big time pre-game speech. But once he gets frustrated going into the locker room and assume that he really gets on the guys, they respond very well.

As far is this game goes, it's still pretty obvious that Bryce is still looking for different lineups that work well together. A couple times we even saw William, Dority, and Carter all on the floor at once. Give it a couple more games and Bryce will have a couple lineups that he likes the best and run with those and we will see improvement. Same thing happened after a couple games to start the year this season, I'm a little more optimistic than most and think we'll see another boost in our level of performance soon, hopefully tomorrow.

truth219

Adekoya needs some love. He had a few turnovers, but down the stretch he was fantastic. He had a three pointer, a hustle play to save the ball, and a bunch of strong rebounds.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

valporun

Sounds like it was better having Carter coming off the bench as the spark when we need a Kenney-like burst of energy. Vashil starting was a surprise, but sounds like a decent move in this game. Can't imagin how much better Vashil would be with a few more years of basketball experience under his height and legs. Glad to get the new year started off with a W, now to get the defense in check to hold Bader down below his usual numbers, and bring him back to Earth.

historyman

Quote from: valporun on January 03, 2014, 12:19:40 PMSounds like it was better having Carter coming off the bench as the spark when we need a Kenney-like burst of energy. Vashil starting was a surprise, but sounds like a decent move in this game. Can't imagin how much better Vashil would be with a few more years of basketball experience under his height and legs. Glad to get the new year started off with a W, now to get the defense in check to hold Bader down below his usual numbers, and bring him back to Earth.
I think Vashil's starting was due to Gueye's sore back which was mentioned in one of the pre-game stories.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpopal

I have uploaded more than 30 of my photos from the game, which I hope everyone will enjoy. There are a number of pictures with crowd shots, so you also might recognize familiar faces. The set of photos can be found at the following link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157639355445095/

As you can see from the photo below, Coach Phipps seems to think they're great!

Valpofan00

historyman

Go to ESPN 3 to see the entire game in their "REPLAY" section.

talksalot

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 02, 2014, 11:08:50 PMI sure hope Coleman got credit for that tip-in when it was 50-46 in the 2nd half.  John Bawker announced Capobianco and I and everyone around me immediately said, "No, that was Coleman!"

and I was corrected immediately by the two folks at the table NOT blocked out.  Coleman did get credit for the tip in... I clearly saw Capo come down and the ball go in, and we argued about it at the table.   THEN I watched the [mcDonalds] Highlight Board replay from the angle on the other side of the court and Coleman did tip it in... From my original vantage point, I would have stuck with Capo!

valpopal

Quote from: talksalot on January 06, 2014, 09:19:38 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on January 02, 2014, 11:08:50 PMI sure hope Coleman got credit for that tip-in when it was 50-46 in the 2nd half.  John Bawker announced Capobianco and I and everyone around me immediately said, "No, that was Coleman!"

and I was corrected immediately by the two folks at the table NOT blocked out.  Coleman did get credit for the tip in... I clearly saw Capo come down and the ball go in, and we argued about it at the table.   THEN I watched the [mcDonalds] Highlight Board replay from the angle on the other side of the court and Coleman did tip it in... From my original vantage point, I would have stuck with Capo!

This was the play, and it is understandable that the line of sight was blocked at the scorer's table since there was an official and a couple of players in between. In addition, both Bobby and Jordan were moving pretty much in unison.