• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Capital Campaign

Started by 78crusader, January 23, 2014, 10:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

78crusader

Does anyone on this board have any idea when our next Capital Campaign will begin?  Or if we will ever have another one?  The last one started in 2004 and ended in 2009.  When I attended the Union opening in January 2009, President Harre mentioned the next campaign would likely start in 2011.  (I know President Heckler was VU president by then, but President Harre was present and gave some remarks.)

I know there has been talk about building phase one of a new science/health sciences building.  We are building a new dorm.  Just wondering where the money is coming from.  I hope we are not borrowing it.  For some reason I think VU borrowed the money to build the new Arts & Sciences building.  I hope that isn't right. 

Paul

valpopal

The campaign mentioned by Pres. Harre possibly referred to the "Spirit of Valpo Challenge," which began in 2011 and stretched through 2013 and was deemed a success, though I can't provide exact amounts. I wouldn't be surprised if a new Capital Campaign were announced by the end of spring or beginning of fall. Still, the Valpo endowment investments have steadily increased each year as the university has maintained its good credit rating and outlook.

My understanding is that the Arts & Sciences building was constructed with existing funds rather than borrowing. In fact, one of the reasons I was told it received priority and was built so quickly had to do with a time stipulation tied to the funding. As we all know, the Welcome Center was also funded. The new dorm is on schedule to be open in the fall and could house nearly 300 students. The Science & Lab building is also moving ahead on schedule as most likely the next big project, since the plans and design are in the works. 

vu72

Not sure about anything but there was talk about outside investors put up the funds for the dorm in ezchange for a long term lease from the University. This makes a lot of sense. As for the next capital campaign, it probably is underway now. These things aren't annoinced until the big hitters have put up their money. The rest of us just fill in some gaps.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on January 23, 2014, 11:30:22 AM
Not sure about anything but there was talk about outside investors put up the funds for the dorm in ezchange for a long term lease from the University.

I don't know specifics about the funding for the new dorm, but your description about outside investors applies to the University Promenade buildings.