• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs. UIC, Saturday Feb 1, 3 PM

Started by Kyle321n, January 30, 2014, 03:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle321n

Let keep the rock rolling off the cliff. 

Not sure how many people are planning on attending the pre-game pep rally buffet but I'll be there.  Apparently today is the last day to register as well.

Anyway this should be a win and a great chance for locals to see the team on the road.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpotx

Hopefully we come to play, regardless of their record.  They have played well against several conference foes, only to lose it at the end.

Valpo 74
UIC 67
"Don't mess with Texas"

classof2014

LVD and Lexus are both Chicago kids, while Keith is from Maywood which is the town west of the city, and Jubril is from Tinley Park a southern suburb. So I'm sure friends and family will be there in full force and none of these guys want to disappoint.

Valpo 85
UIC 68

ml2

We are expecting a great turn out for the UIC game tomorrow. About 100 fans have registered for the event at Hawkeye's Bar and Grill before the game. Men's basketball has used up their allotment of seats behind their bench, and our Alumni Relations office has sold an additional 170 tickets for the game. Should be an exciting day for Valpo in the city!

valpotx

Always good to have traveling fans!  That is something our alumni/students have been better at than other teams in the HL.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

The guys on the UIC board are ready to fold their tent and let the guys who will be around next year play the balance of the year.  On another note, Humes will be out for 2-4 weeks with an eye injury.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

HC

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on January 31, 2014, 02:12:40 PMOn another note, Humes will be out for 2-4 weeks with an eye injury
Bummer.  Was hoping to see him.

Now just hoping he can see!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

talksalot

severe winter storm warning starting tonight through mid-day tomorrow.   3pm start may help... but 6-10" of new stuff may keep the crowd down.

valporun

The game will be on CSN Chicago tomorrow afternoon for those who don't wish to brave the elements again.

vu72

Quote from: talksalot on January 31, 2014, 03:45:37 PM
severe winter storm warning starting tonight through mid-day tomorrow.   3pm start may help... but 6-10" of new stuff may keep the crowd down.

Unbelievable what you folks have been through/will be going through.  Must be the worst winter in what? 20 years?

Weird weather all over with snow in North Carolina and even here in Dallas, 75 today, mid-thirties with possible snow showers by Sunday.  Stay warm and drive slowly!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Snowiest January in Fort Wayne history.  The snow and cold has really played havoc with the high school and grade school basketball schedules.  Fort Wayne's Lutheran School Athletic Association lsaafw.org is have its Basketball Tournament finals this weekend at Concordia Lutheran High School.  One of the participants will be Keon Brooks from St. Paul's Lutheran Grade School, one of the top rated 7th graders in the country. Pretty crazy to be watching a grade school game and have a 7th grader dunk on someone.

The Lutheran Schools Indiana State Tournament will also be held at CLHS.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

Quote from: talksalot on January 31, 2014, 03:45:37 PM

6-10"  Wow!  Recruit him.  Oh  ...... never mind.

agibson

Quote from: valporun on January 31, 2014, 03:53:23 PM
The game will be on CSN Chicago tomorrow afternoon for those who don't wish to brave the elements again.

Does that mean no HLN?  (Answering my own question, looks like HLN will still be available.  And the Green Bay - Wright State evening game tomorrow is on ESPN2!)

The game's on opposite the US men's soccer.  I'd been tentatively planning to record the soccer, and watch the basketball on HLN.

Now, I may be stuck in one of those rare situations wishing I had multiple tuners.  (Will the soccer be available archived on ESPN3? Hmm...)

historyman

Quote from: agibson on January 31, 2014, 06:16:54 PM
Quote from: valporun on January 31, 2014, 03:53:23 PMThe game will be on CSN Chicago tomorrow afternoon for those who don't wish to brave the elements again.
Does that mean no HLN?  (Answering my own question, looks like HLN will still be available.  And the Green Bay - Wright State evening game tomorrow is on ESPN2!) The game's on opposite the US men's soccer.  I'd been tentatively planning to record the soccer, and watch the basketball on HLN. Now, I may be stuck in one of those rare situations wishing I had multiple tuners.  (Will the soccer be available archived on ESPN3? Hmm...)
If it is blacked out on ESPN 3 or if you don't have the correct subscription to watch the game but can get ESPN 3 later you can always watch the archive copy of the game listed under REPLAY.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

Quote from: historyman on January 31, 2014, 08:01:50 PMIf it is blacked out on ESPN 3 or if you don't have the correct subscription to watch the game but can get ESPN 3 later you can always watch the archive copy of the game listed under REPLAY.

Cool.  I see they do have some international friendlies on archive (up to 30 days, maybe?), so that bodes well. 

And some other foreign stuff I didn't expect - a fair bit of Mexican soccer, French cup, some Dutch league (a chance to watch Johannsson sometime, perhaps?), etc.

Smj

On my way to the game. ..  Anyone else making the trek?

wh

Family and I are here. Very small crowd so far 20 min before tipoff, but I recognize several Valpo people.

Smj

They say it is sold out in lower section (bs)....   They made me by tickets in upper level. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Anyone who doesn't think LVD is the POY should have to watch this first half repeatedly.

While being punched in the nuts.

Repeatedly.

That. Was. Amazing.

Now do it again in the second half.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

oklahomamick

Wish I was at the game, the UIC/HL commentators today are winey.  They sound like the stupid Kentucky Elk commercial that continues to play during the timeouts on the HL network. 
CRUSADERS!!!

rink

22 point first half for Dority, capped off with a three from NBA range at the buzzer. Nice! Almost singlehandedly matching UIC by himself. Nice 36-23 lead at the half. Don't somehow squander this one...

historyman

Thank God for Dority's senior leadership and ability to shoot, pass, attack the basket with speed and call out the defensive set ups. This team would be truly lost without him.

Forcing Peters to shoot a three. Very interesting defensive scheme. I was thinking Alec needed to hit that shot more than any shot he has hit so far this year.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

LaPorteAveApostle

LVD Fr-Jr vs. LVD Sr. (up-to-the-minute)

3PTers:  32.6% vs. 45.4%

FG%:  36.1% vs. 48.8%

Minutes played:  818 vs. 708

If anyone deserved to play more than 6 semesters in college, it's this kid.

Can you imagine if we had another year of him?