• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Oakland & Detroit Game Ticket Prices

Started by Chairback, February 01, 2014, 12:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairback

Anyone know why general admission tickets for these games are $20 a piece instead of $10?  Check them out online on the ticket website.

Had a group of Vu alumni friends with their kids coming into town and we saw the prices and we are considering doing something else.  3 families of 5 paying $100 bucks a family to see Oakland........nope.

sliman

Chairback, check with ticket office or AD about group rates.

justducky

Quote from: Chairback on February 01, 2014, 12:24:20 PMAnyone know why general admission tickets for these games are $20 a piece instead of $10?  Check them out online on the ticket website.
Must be some kind of simple mistake as I have seen nothing about those games being premium priced. I did check for YSU and CSU and both were at regular prices, so somebody needs to make a phone call and get this straightend out or we will have crowds of 2,100 for both Oakland and Detroit

valpo64

The Detroit and Oakland games are both premium priced tickets.  I bought our tickets before the season started and there were several premium priced games, including these two.

justducky

Quote from: valpo64 on February 01, 2014, 06:36:04 PMThe Detroit and Oakland games are both premium priced tickets.  I bought our tickets before the season started and there were several premium priced games, including these two.
So UCF, Mercer, LMU, GB, YSU, and CSU were all regular price games while 8-14 Detroit and 7-14 Oakland are premium priced. Whose hat were these names drawn out of?
Quote from: justducky on February 01, 2014, 06:02:31 PMso somebody needs to make a phone call and get this straightend out or we will have crowds of 2,100 for both Oakland and Detroit
It is not too late for corrective action even if some refunds have to be made.

HC

Both teams are sort of rivals I suppose. I do think $20 is a bit much, but if they lowered it they shouldn't have to give refunds.

Smj

Sorry but this is st***d.    It is "supply and demand" and when there are still so many open seats they are just seting themselves up for more empty seats. ...  written itcomes to sporting events- I would much rather got to an event that "looks" like it is the place to be.

StlVUFan

Each of the two games is easily worth 20 bucks a seat to me.  I'm taking my Dad to both games and also my nephews to the Oakland game.

:twocents:

I did wonder about it, but it didn't really matter to me.

Smj

I would pay it. .. but many will not and I would rather see a full venue.

StlVUFan

Quote from: Smj on February 01, 2014, 09:53:52 PM
I would pay it. .. but many will not and I would rather see a full venue.
Can't fight you on that.

I do not think it is bizarre to think of UDM and Oakland as premium games since I think of both teams as fierce rivals.  I think it's at least plausible.

Whether they *should* have done this or not is another matter.  I'm not a marketing genius so I'll defer to others on that.

Chairback

How can you charge a premium when you have significant excess inventory?  They do teach this at Valpo.

We had an embarassing small crowd for the best team in the league on Wednesday and we retired the jerseys of the best two players in school history. This should have been done on a weekend.

I would love to know the plan and thinking behind this.

classof2014

I really hope there will be 4000+ at both games this weekend, don't quite understand the 20 bucks a pop but still 20 bucks for a ticket to a game isn't anything ridiculous. I'm hoping people see that we have one of the hottest players in the NCAA right now in LVD and against the 2 Detroit area teams. Really hoping people will want to get out of their homes this weekend and not use snow as an excuse (predicting the possibility of getting 28" by the end of next weekend).

justducky

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 01, 2014, 10:00:34 PMI think it's at least plausible.
Not quite your best argument!
Quote from: Chairback on February 01, 2014, 10:29:57 PMHow can you charge a premium when you have significant excess inventory?  They do teach this at Valpo.
A good question followed by an even better observation.
Quote from: Chairback on February 01, 2014, 10:29:57 PMI would love to know the plan and thinking behind this.
Somebody made some choices preseason with little regard for who would likely be near the top of the HL standings. It was an honest mistake but still a mistake.
Quote from: StlVUFan on February 01, 2014, 10:00:34 PMWhether they *should* have done this or not is another matter.  I'm not a marketing genius so I'll defer to others on that.
Someone other than the original decision maker should be in charge of reviewing the matter. Lets not compound the problem by standing with earlier choices that in retrospect appear to have been flawed. Its been over 45 years since I have taken a marketing class but I believe that was and still is near the front of the book in Marketing 101.

valporun

Was Detroit marked as 'premium' because of it being the ESPNU Friday HL game? Oakland might have been just a package deal setup.

Smj

Our Detroit game had 3661 attendance...   It looked good on espn so it was not an embarrassment like some of the other conference teams that I have watch on TV lately.   I do not even remember seeing the camera pan up to the upper sections.

HC

Valpo is an 8 point favorite today. That seems like a big number. I'd take valpo to win, but I don't see them covering. 78-74 winners today.

HC

http://www.zooperstars.com I believe this is today's halftime show. I was thinking this has to be better then little kids playing basketball, but I'm not sure. Maybe the Zooperstars can get that freaky Sportsclips mascot involved.  My 3 yr old is going to be terrified.

classof2014

Unless there will be a big walkup crowd I don't think it'll be as full as it was for Detroit. I looked at the ticket chart and only the first 3 rows of CC are completely full.

Atleast we have the liveliest crowd in the HL and the ARC is typically buzzing and I would imagine another good showing from the students. They've been great this year, better than last year, which is very promising for the future.

The most disappointing section is always the chairbacks. They always look half full, while on the ticket website they show full. Are there a bunch of season ticket holders that just don't show or what?

It is nice though to have the loudest arena in the HL, definite advantage. When I watch other games it's always really quiet, while when I watch games at the ARC or highlights there's always a good amount of noise in the background. No doubt we have the loudest and best fans in the HL. I just wish we could be drawing 4000+ compared to 3000+

Chairback

2448.  Upper deck was bare for this "premium" game.

LaPorteAveApostle

well, other than one outcome, certainly can't argue that they didn't see some premium games!

chairback, i ask you--as someone who occasionally found myself in your namesake section--what does it take to get your side of the court to stand up?  i would stand up and yell back in the day and the old people around looked at me like I was ruining the sanctity of Moellering.

case in point:  friday night.  we're down one in the closing seconds.  do we stand up, make some noise?  oh of course not.

ONLY the very last play did they struggle to their feet, and I have a sneaking suspicion that half of them were only doing that to get on their jackets and get a head start on the parking lot.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo64

Not all of us in the chairbacks are "dud" fans.  In fact my wife threatened to leave me sitting alone if I didn't shut up and sit down.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpo64 on February 09, 2014, 08:22:49 PMIn fact my wife threatened to leave me sitting alone if I didn't shut up and sit down.
That's AWESOME.

I really think there are more like you.  But it's like a group psychology thing--people don't stand up because no one else stands up.  It's just getting that critical mass of people to stand that get everyone else off their duff.

Mind you, I'm not saying they should stand the whole game.  But at really crucial moments...

Of course, look what happened when they finally did Friday :/
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 09, 2014, 07:56:08 PMand the old people around looked at me like I was ruining the sanctity of Moellering
Or perhaps the Chapel.

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 09, 2014, 07:56:08 PMwell, other than one outcome, certainly can't argue that they didn't see some premium games!
chairback, i ask you--as someone who occasionally found myself in your namesake section--what does it take to get your side of the court to stand up?  i would stand up and yell back in the day and the old people around looked at me like I was ruining the sanctity of Moellering.
case in point:  friday night.  we're down one in the closing seconds.  do we stand up, make some noise?  oh of course not. ONLY the very last play did they struggle to their feet, and I have a sneaking suspicion that half of them were only doing that to get on their jackets and get a head start on the parking lot.

I think you answered your own question in a January post.

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 20, 2014, 03:10:26 PM
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Yeah, but I didn't see enough monocles in the section to mean it seriously.

Plus they stopped the tea-delivery service to the section after there was on-court spillage.