• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Milwaukee 2/15/14, 7:00 p.m.

Started by historyman, February 09, 2014, 05:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Panthers knock off Crusaders by 7 but it will be a very close game until Valpo has to foul. Unfortunately the Brown & Gold commit many turnovers(+16) and miss needed FT's (9 or more). The biggest problem is that no one except Peters steps up for Dority when LVD scores less than 10.   

Oh yeah!

QuoteHere's kind of a wild prediction with several surprises.

@ UIC  W
UDM  L
OU  W

@ UWM  L
@ UWGB  W
YSU  L
@ WSU  W
CSU  W

QuoteI'm predicting a Valpo win by 5 points.

LaVonte will bounce back and Peters will score more than 10. It will be the defense against Bader and Mondy that will make the difference between the Crusaders loss at the O'rena and this game.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

HC

Valpo by 12. I think we match up very well against Milwaukee.

ARCInsider

a3uge

Valpo will win in the ARC North. By the way, whatever happened to that UWM fan that used to troll our forum and proclaim UIC/Bryce Drew was leaving the Horizon League?

wh

Only three HL teams - CSU, WSU and Oakland - have their screen defender leave our on-ball screener (usually Moussa or Fernandez) and hedge the perimeter as part of their defensive scheme.  We almost never make the them pay for double teaming our guards, primarily because neither Moussa nor Fernandez has the coordination to receive a pass over the top while rolling to the basket and finish.  Bobby is only slightly better.  As a result, our guards are left to flounder around against double team after double team at the point of attack.  The proof is in the pudding.  We are 1-3 record against these 3 teams, and if not for some good fortune today we'd be 0-4.

We have the ability to beat anyone who doesn't hedge, including Milwaukee and Green Bay, but I will be very surprised if we beat either WSU or CSU the second time around.  One of them will likely cause our exit from the tournament, as well.     

HC

talksalot

The UWM game is at the Cell downtown, not on campus.... hope the weather allows for travel from Valpo, we may have more fans than they do.

OH, not on this thread... and I won't start one yet... but need to get the word out that the YST game on 2/22 is now a 3PM start, will air on the Horizon League Regional Network.   I don't know what that means, exactly... but hopefully a Comcast Sportsnet game in the Chicago market.  The Crusader Women's game will be at 7pm.  Changes to the schedule for the Hall Of Fame stuff that day as well.  It's all on the website.

oklahomamick

Quote from: wh on February 09, 2014, 06:44:27 PMAs a result, our guards are left to flounder around against double team after double team at the point of attack.  The proof is in the pudding.  We are 1-3 record against these 3 teams, and if not for some good fortune today we'd be 0-4.

Don't tell Wardle
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

Another tough one to predict.  I will go with my trend that has helped us the most and predict a loss:

Milwaukee 74
Valpo 71
"Don't mess with Texas"

HC

I believe there is another bus or 2 of fans going up for a pre game lunch at one of he donors places and then off to the game. Should be a good time. I will be watching from home though as my Crusaders of the future have basketball games in the morning.

justducky

In the first go around with UWM Carter played 18 minutes, Coleman 20, and Capo 21 with all 3 playing pretty well. On the other hand Cleo did not enter the game. I would again expect Bobby to receive big minutes (mostly at the expense of Jubril) but how the rest of it shakes out has me baffled. It should be interesting to see how Bryce will play his hand.

classof2014

Quote from: justducky on February 10, 2014, 12:11:37 AM
In the first go around with UWM Carter played 18 minutes, Coleman 20, and Capo 21 with all 3 playing pretty well. On the other hand Cleo did not enter the game. I would again expect Bobby to receive big minutes (mostly at the expense of Jubril) but how the rest of it shakes out has me baffled. It should be interesting to see how Bryce will play his hand.

Not a bad problem for Bryce to have. I'm guessing he'll go with the hot hand, as usual.

It is nice though to have that depth, when a few guys get in foul trouble early we have another quality player to step in.

My guess is the only difference we'll see in the next game is more playing time from Clay and less from Jordan. So long as Clay can go through a week without getting sick or hurt.

valpopal

Quote from: classof2014 on February 10, 2014, 12:19:29 AM

It is nice though to have that depth, when a few guys get in foul trouble early we have another quality player to step in.

In the post-game press conference Paul Oren made a great observation to Bryce, who had brought Moussa, Bobby, and Clay to speak as the team representatives. Oren pointed out that all three had come off the bench, and Bryce said their presence as major contributors in the game indicated the depth of this team.

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on February 10, 2014, 01:08:22 AM
Quote from: classof2014 on February 10, 2014, 12:19:29 AM

In the post-game press conference Paul Oren made a great observation to Bryce, who had brought Moussa, Bobby, and Clay to speak as the team representatives. Oren pointed out that all three had come off the bench, and Bryce said their presence as major contributors in the game indicated the depth of this team.

Bryce talked about how he'd be basically happy to use his second five as a starting five.

Was definitely a nice back and forth.

crusadermoe

I like this board.  The analysis from W.H. helped me figure out why Valpo is so frustrating to watch this year.   The big guys don't move to the ball, catch, drive in a fluid way that is quick enough to keep defenders from crowding our guards. 

As a football guy, I don't see it like some of you. 

So.....how do you overcome that?...esp. vs CSU and WSU defensive intensity?    Play Jubril in the post, Alec on a wing, and play 3 guards?   

justducky

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 11, 2014, 09:52:10 PMSo.....how do you overcome that?...esp. vs CSU and WSU defensive intensity?    Play Jubril in the post, Alec on a wing, and play 3 guards?   
I have never coached the game so those of you who have should have better answers than I can provide but-----------------------it seems to me that their are a lot of things  we could show that could somewhat force them out of their favored defensive scheme. The big question then is by reinventing our offense will we net enough in positive benefits to outweigh the extra turnovers that the change will likely bring. Moussa and Vashil  bring some negative baggage with them no mater where they are placed on the offensive end so it has always seemed to me that it is best when either is in the game to keep them as close to the low post as possible. With that in mind there could be some high post-low post, double low post, twin tower, the 50 year old Cincinnati, down screens, up screens, cross screens, wing cuts or if we insist on sending the bigs up top to screen then simultaneously cut Peters to the low post. A taller point guard than Lexus could also help in this situation but I am not certain that Cleo can help us with this yet but (maybe next year).

Now that I have fully revealed my ignorance of the game all of you can take turns telling me why none of it this would work.  :crazy:

valpotx

For all of the flack that Moussa and Vashil get, it goes unnoticed that Vashil only averages 1 turnover/game.  Yes, there are plenty of times where he COULD have lost the ball barring him catching his own fumbles, but Moussa is a lot more likely to travel than Vashil. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusadermoe

Ducky,

I think we are kindred spirits in our expertise.    :)      Bryce probably didn't pick up much during 6 NBA seasons and his asst. coaching under Homer. 

So.......it's good he has us to offer ideas.   I threw the word wing in there just because I heard it somewhere.  Low post is another buzz word that just sounds like other guys who seem to have a clue.   

wh

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 13, 2014, 05:10:19 PM
Ducky,

I think we are kindred spirits in our expertise.    :)      Bryce probably didn't pick up much during 6 NBA seasons and his asst. coaching under Homer. 

So.......it's good he has us to offer ideas.   I threw the word wing in there just because I heard it somewhere.  Low post is another buzz word that just sounds like other guys who seem to have a clue.   

lol

justducky

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 13, 2014, 05:10:19 PM
Ducky,

Hey, even the football guy recognizes that all that old time stuff died or is dying in the era of the 3 point shot.  :o   But maybe, just maybe by showing them some uncommon looks we could at least get Donlon and Waters scratching their heads and force a timeout. I just hate it that we know exactly how WSU is going to defend us and yet they are the one who seem to dictate the pace and execution of the game. I think maybe before every VU-WSU game Donlon challenges Bryce to a wrestling match and Bryce hollers back  "You're On!"

VULB#62

Anyone going to the alumni function on North Terrace before the game.  I'm finally going to a MBB game now that i've moved to WI.  Haven't seen a Crusader game live since 1991 at the Cell -- I think VU lost that one to UWM.  I registered for the get-together at Andrew Nunemaker's.  Was looking fwd to the UWGB game up here as well, but the timing just isn't good.

a3uge

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 14, 2014, 01:20:02 PM
Anyone going to the alumni function on North Terrace before the game.  I'm finally going to a MBB game now that i've moved to WI.  Haven't seen a Crusader game live since 1991 at the Cell -- I think VU lost that one to UWM.  I registered for the get-together at Andrew Nunemaker's.  Was looking fwd to the UWGB game up here as well, but the timing just isn't good.

Was at his house last year - it's incredible. They had a full service bar after the game in his basement. I'm not going this year, but usually there's about as many Valpo fans as UWM fans at the game.

wh

We don't have enough time to go to the reception, but we will be in attendance at the game. 

Smj

I am going with my wife and son....   Should be fun.    (However,  I like UWM games on campus better)

rink

Wife and I will be in attendance.  Been treated to some great Valpo-UWM games here recently, looking forward to more of the same.

Quote from: Smj on February 14, 2014, 10:38:11 PM
I like UWM games on campus better

In theory, yes, but it's tough to argue with the immensely better options for food/drink before and after the game that you get out of the US Cellular location.  We'll probably hit HofbrÀuhaus for pregame drinks, then maybe Major Goolsby's for post-game.  Going to a game at Klotsche doesn't offer nearly as good of a total entertainment package.