• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Antonijevic signs with the Fort Lauderdale Strikers (NASL)

Started by IndyValpo, February 14, 2014, 02:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Haha, it reads like he left the team.  Maybe change it to re-signs?  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on February 14, 2014, 03:23:32 PMMaybe change it to re-signs?
MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY

also, there are worse places than Ft Lauderdale.

none of them are on the west coast of FL, though ;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

The NASL is back.  Too bad he could not join the Chicago Sting with Karl Heinz Granitza, Arno Steffenhagen and Franz Matteiu.  He also would have been great on the Minnesota Kicks or the San Diego Shockers.

historyman

I used to love "Der Sting." The coach/manager was Willy Roy who had brought all those Germans to Chicago. Pato Margetic was another huge impact player for the Sting who later became the coach.

Roy had played on local Chicago teams after moving from Germany to Chicago at the age of six. He entered the NASL with the St Louis Stars who lost to the Atlanta Chiefs in the 1968 NASL semi-final. In 1972 the Stars played the New York Cosmos in the NASL final and lost 2-1. Roy joined the Chicago Sting in 1975 but only played one year before retiring. Roy had been a prolific goal scorer much like Granitza and Steffenhagen. In 1978 Roy became the head coach of The Sting. They won the Soccer Bowl in 1981 and 1984. Willy Roy was coach of the Sting through their time as an outdoor team.

Willy Roy with the Chicago Spurs in the NPSL

Willy Roy

Willy Roy greeting Pele after playing against Brazil for the US National team.

FYI, It was the San Diego Sockers. The team exists today in the PASL indoor league.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

KL31NY

Quote from: historyman on February 14, 2014, 09:35:43 PM

PRO SOCCER AT WRIGLEY PLEASE!

But first and foremost, let's get some baseball at Wrigley again!  ;D
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

usc4valpo

In reality, they don't play baseball at Wrigley, but it is a famous cheap yet-high-priced beer garden.

These pictures are great, and that league was fun.  It you want to see a great tinmewarp, check out

Once In A Lifetime (The Extraordinary Story of The New York Cosmos)

IndyValpo

Fixed the title....Indianapolis is very excited about the new NASL team here. They have sold 7,000 season tickets (they capped at 7,000). They expect to sell out (11,000) each match.

For those who do not know the NASL is a second division league sort of like AAA baseball. Two popular teams from the past are in the league, New York Cosmos and Tampa Bay Rowdies.

usc4valpo

they need to bring back the Minnesota Kicks, Los Angeles Aztecs, San Jose Earthquakes, and the talented Calgary Boomers.

I saw the web site for Tampa Bay, and for a AAA team the ticket prices are rather steep.

valpotx

The San Jose Earthquakes have been in MLS since the mid/late nineties
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

my bad. Le Manic de Montreal?

The NASL was doing well until the TV ratings tanked, and overexpansion.

Lee Stern of the Sting put a lot of money on his team on hopes for soccer success, but never came to be.

But I remember when der Chicago Sting won the championship in 1981 and they had a celebration downtown.  Mayor Jane Byrne congratulated the Sting as being "the best soccer team in the world."   Apparently Jane was not watching the quality of Brazilian and Argentinian soccer at that time.

valpotx

The Montreal Impact have been in MLS since this last season, playing in the lower leagues before that :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

The Strikers play for the Soccer Bowl this weekend. Antonijevic has had a good season starting 23 games. He missed a few while injured. A 6-5 defender should have a future. Hopefully the Indy Eleven make a play for him.

valpotx

Better yet, hopefully an MLS team takes a chance on him!
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Really cool for him to be called an established NASL defender after 2 seasons, especially by a coach who was the US U20 National Team coach for 5 years.  He also coached American Samoa a few years back, getting them their first ever victory in soccer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Rongen
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

I didn't realize Rongen was in Tampa Bay!  "Thirty-One Nil" has been on my nightstand, waiting to be read, for a while now.

Great that Stefan's in demand.  I was just thinking of him today, in fact, when I heard the news that Ronaldo (no, _that_ Ronaldo), now part-owner, was planning to stage a come-back and _play_ for Ft. Lauderdale.  So, Stefan will miss that.  But, may still get to play against him.

With the draft underway, the current VU players are also very much on my mind.  I don't know what his chances are, but I'm sure Zev Taublieb will be anxious ahead of the phone rounds of the draft next week. 

valpotx

Ah, but the Brazilian Ronaldo was every bit as good as the Portuguese Ronaldo is now.  I am sure Cristiano will end up having a better overall career though, if he keeps playing at this level. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

I was sort of poking fun at the run if Ronaldos.  For a while it seemed everyone insisted on also using Christiano's first name, out of deference to the elder.  But, it seems to have stopped.

agibson

Should spread this around other threads, but Zobeck resigned with the Cosmos as well.

The NASL has a new ESPN3 deal, though the Cosmos are a bit of an exception, so it'll hopefully be possible to see more of these guys playing.

Taublieb was evidently signed to his east coast USL team for the remainder of the season (one month deal?), and is evidently currently a free agent.  He posted an Instagram pic from a Toronto locker room a month or two ago, maybe a tryout for Toronto FC 2? But he seems to be still figuring things out.