• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Green Bay 2/20/14 Thursday 7:00 p.m. CT game thread

Started by historyman, February 17, 2014, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classof2014

Since we have depth at the 5, the big question will be if we could get Brown into foul trouble early on. If he picks up a couple of quick ones that really could alter the game of GB. I would imagine that either Vashil, Moussa, or Bobby will foul out while the other two playing foul trouble. I'd be fine with that if that's because they're playing physical and Brown is racking up the fouls as well. Should be a fun game to watch and has huge implications on who finishes where. Even though GB can afford 2 losses, if we win that puts a ton of pressure on them.

vu72

I find the lack of excitement on some fans boards as very sad.  One day before a very big game in which GB can clinch first place and their senior day, has garnered a total of Two posts from the GB fans.  At the same time we are over 20.  Says a lot. 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: Pgmado on February 19, 2014, 12:07:12 PM
Porter County.

Nope.  Gary.

Here's the quote from the FB Facebook page:  "Crusaders arrive Gary International Airport for charter flight to Grand Forks ND."  There were pictures with it as well.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 19, 2014, 02:43:38 PM
Porter County.

Nope.  Gary.

Here's the quote from the FB Facebook page:  "Crusaders arrive Gary International Airport for charter flight to Grand Forks ND."  There were pictures with it as well.

Not sure but think he may have meant that the basketball team is flying out of Porter.  Obviously a smaller plane can be used which might allow the flight from a smaller airport.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUfan

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 19, 2014, 02:43:38 PMHere's the quote from the FB Facebook page:  "Crusaders arrive Gary International Airport for charter flight to Grand Forks ND."
The team is trying to get to Green Bay Wisconsin not Fargo ND, Fargo is about 450 miles from Green Bay Valpo is about 200 miles from Green Bay. Call out the geography Dept!!!  ;D

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Kyle321n

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 19, 2014, 04:58:16 PMIRE IS DRAWN and quartered.
Yes, I saw that. IREland and England played to a 1-1 draw in May 2013 at Wembley stadium. But I do believe the match was played in halves so there were no quarters as is true in most football matches.

Did you know that the bus that takes fans to a football match in Ireland and the UK is called a coach. So in the case where soccer fans ride a bus it's called a football coach. ::)

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/22677284

That is what you meant isn't it? I didn't really read the whole thread and kind of reacted to what you said in your post. Some people! :-[
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Valpofan00

I calling it first. VU WILL BE ranked sometime in the next four years. ;D

wh

Porter County.

I've flown out of PC airport a couple of times. It is a dream. Show up a few minutes before takeoff, board and go. According to flight schedules they should be in GB from 40-60 minutes later, depending on the aircraft. Easier than a bus ride to UIC.

crusadermoe

This board is heading dangerously close to reviewing the latest AAA magazine Midwest issues. Starved Rock State Park and other notable sites can be found and brochures readily ordered. 

Let's analyze the expenses for fan travel from Valparaiso by airplane, car, train or bicycle and factor in the road tolls, food costs, and depreciation of personal vehicles.   
Who's with me?

LaPorteAveApostle

historyman

Quote from: wh on February 19, 2014, 08:50:36 PM
Quote from: Pgmado on February 19, 2014, 12:07:12 PMPorter County.
I've flown out of PC airport a couple of times. It is a dream. Show up a few minutes before takeoff, board and go. According to flight schedules they should be in GB from 40-60 minutes later, depending on the aircraft. Easier than a bus ride to UIC.
Does that flight path take them over Lake Michigan?

What about Green Bay? What airport do they land at or near Green Bay and how far is it from the airport to the motel and then how far is it to the Resch Center?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

HC

I heard they are traveling via rickshaws, but my sources on this aren't the most reliable. Does anyone know if this game is on ESPN3 or am I stuck watching it on the hLN app (which I love) on the iPad screen.

wh

Quote from: historyman on February 19, 2014, 10:12:38 PM
Quote from: wh on February 19, 2014, 08:50:36 PM
Quote from: Pgmado on February 19, 2014, 12:07:12 PMPorter County.

What about Green Bay? What airport do they land at or near Green Bay and how far is it from the airport to the motel and then how far is it to the Resch Center?

For some reason your post got me to thinking about bbtds. I wonder what ever happened to him?

wh

Men's basketball: UWGB hopes to clinch Horizon title at home
By Scott Venci Press-Gazette Media
February 19, 2014

The University of Wisconsin-Green Bay men's basketball team can clinch at least a share of its first conference championship in 18 years with a win over Valparaiso Thursday night at the Resch Center.

Winning the Horizon League title and earning a No. 1 seed for the conference tournament next month would be nice. Doing it in front of the home fans would make it even better.

"We have never won, so I don't know how it would feel to clinch it, home or away," said junior point guard Keifer Sykes, who was 2 years old the last time the Phoenix won a title. "But I know it definitely would be better to clinch it at home.

"When you go somewhere away from home or you play basketball in college, you look at the coaching staff of the team and the fans, the people who embrace you the most. ... the fan base, the kids, all the parents, we love them."

UWGB must figure out a way to beat a Crusaders team that has won the last four games in the series and is the two-time defending conference champion. The skid includes a 75-60 loss at Valparaiso last month that ended a 12-game winning streak by the Phoenix, although UWGB senior center Alec Brown missed the game with a shoulder injury.

With the way his team played that night, UWGB coach Brian Wardle doesn't believe the Phoenix would have won even if Brown had been available. Its transition defense was "awful" and it could not contain Crusaders senior guard LaVonte Dority, who scored a game-high 26 points while shooting 9-for-12 from the field.

Anything else?

"We don't have enough time for me to go through a list of things we didn't do well," Wardle said. "It was not our best effort or game. Our young men know that. We have to be dialed in."

The Phoenix appeared to be dialed in during its trip through Ohio last week, beating Youngstown State 71-40 on Thursday and Cleveland State 68-54 on Saturday, a win that gave it at least a two-game lead over every other team in the conference.

Brown also appears to be back to where he was before he injured his shoulder against Detroit on Jan. 26.

He was named the Horizon League's player of the week Monday after averaging 21.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and 2.5 blocks against YSU and CSU, and he said Tuesday his shoulder is almost healed. It's more mental now and just being confident the shoulder won't limit him.

Whether the Phoenix would have won with Brown the first time against Valparaiso is anyone's guess, but having him anchor the defense tonight can only help.

"Hopefully, I can make a big difference," Brown said. "Whether it be clogging up the lane or stretching out the floor on offense. Really whatever I can do to help.

"I'm sure the guys are going to come to play, too."

Noteworthy: Wardle did not provide additional details about senior guard Vincent Garrett, who was suspended three games last week because of a violation of a team rule.

"I don't comment on student-athlete discipline," Wardle said. "He's been held accountable. We are moving forward."

Garrett will complete his suspension against the Crusaders tonight, although he is expected to participate in Senior Night ceremonies with Brown before the game.

Thursday night's preview

What: University of Wisconsin-Green Bay (21-5 overall, 11-2 Horizon League) vs. Valparaiso (16-11, 8-4).

When: 7 p.m.

Where: Resch Center, Ashwaubenon.

Radio: WNFL (1440 AM).

Coaches: UWGB -- Brian Wardle (62-52, fourth season); Valparaiso -- Bryce Drew (64-31, third season).

All-time series: UWGB leads 26-20.

UWGB update: The Phoenix has won 16 of 21 games against Valparaiso at home. ... Senior center Alec Brown enters Senior Night with 1,619 career points, 777 rebounds and 293 blocks. "I'm excited, I have a lot of friends and family coming (for the game)," Brown said. "Being Senior Night, it's a big night. Hopefully, it's not our last time playing at the Resch, but there is always that chance. It's been a long ride, and it's been fun." ... Brown needs 17 blocks to become the Horizon League's all-time leader. ... The Phoenix remains second in the league in offense and defense, averaging 75.4 points per game and allowing 64.0.

Valparaiso update: The Crusaders beat UW-Milwaukee 77-62 on Saturday. Senior guard LaVonte Dority led Valpo with 19 points, while senior guard Jordan Coleman had his first career double-double with 14 points and 11 rebounds. ... Valpo has gone 4-2 on the road in league play and has won four of its past five. Under Drew, the team has gone 17-6 in conference games on the road. ... The Crusaders' five freshmen have combined for 42.2 percent of the team's minutes played this season. Three of the five -- Jubril Adekoya, Alec Peters and Lexus Williams -- have played every game and are averaging at least 19 minutes. ... Valpo is averaging 74.9 points per game and allowing 67.6. ... The team is shooting 47.6 percent overall, 37.7 percent on 3s and 73.9 percent from the line.

-- Scott Venci

HC

Thats a pretty incredible road record in conference play! 

jjmiller

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:16:38 PM by historyman »

The airport is Austin Straubel Field. It's approx. 4 miles from the Resch Center. I'm not sure what Hotel you are staying at but there's 4-5 within walking distance of the Resch. Most of the Hotels have shuttle service to and from the Airport.

historyman

Quote from: jjmiller on February 20, 2014, 09:07:35 AMDoes that flight path take them over Lake Michigan? What about Green Bay? What airport do they land at or near Green Bay and how far is it from the airport to the motel and then how far is it to the Resch Center? « Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:16:38 PM by historyman » The airport is Austin Straubel Field. It's approx. 4 miles from the Resch Center. I'm not sure what Hotel you are staying at but there's 4-5 within walking distance of the Resch. Most of the Hotels have shuttle service to and from the Airport.
Thank you for your answers to my questions. Now that I think of it this is the same procedure and route used by at least 8 to 10 NFL teams every year.

bombkicker

long time reader, first time poster. Vegas has the line as green bay 9.5 favs, I was shocked. Does the big man in the middle for them make that much of a difference?

historyman

Quote from: VUfan on February 19, 2014, 03:36:34 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on February 19, 2014, 02:43:38 PMHere's the quote from the FB Facebook page:  "Crusaders arrive Gary International Airport for charter flight to Grand Forks ND."
The team is trying to get to Green Bay Wisconsin not Fargo ND, Fargo is about 450 miles from Green Bay Valpo is about 200 miles from Green Bay. Call out the geography Dept!!!  ;D
If you had read what you had quoted, the football team's flight was to Grand Forks, ND not Fargo, ND. Grand Forks is 600 miles from Green Bay not 450 miles!!!!

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

jjmiller

Yes the Resch is across the street from Lambeau Field they share a parking lot.  :)

Kyle321n

Quote from: valpotx on February 20, 2014, 10:12:11 AMThat is a tempting bet...

I just checked Bovada and they don't have the line up, but if it's anything near 9 points I'm going for that.  No way we lose by double digits. 

Here's some interesting information from the preview:

QuoteValparaiso:
Team record: 16-11 SU, 13-9 ATS
Current streak: won 2 straight games.

is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games on the road
The total has gone OVER in 4 of last 6 games when playing on the road against Wisc-Green Bay
is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games when playing on the road against Wisc-Green Bay
is 2-6 SU in its last 8 games when playing on the road against Wisc-Green Bay

When playing on Thursday are 5-5
Before playing Youngstown State are 5-5
After playing Wisc-Milwaukee are 7-3
After a win are 5-5

Wisc-Green Bay:
Team record: 21-5 SU, 12-10 ATS
Current streak: won 2 straight games.

is 13-1 SU in its last 14 games at home
is 16-2 SU in its last 18 games
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of last 5 games at home