• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New VU HJ Record - even without a track

Started by VULB#62, February 18, 2014, 06:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Just saw that Jasmin Taylor set a new VU T&F record in the high jump (5'6") and was named Horizon Athlete of the Week.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/wtrack/news/2013-14/13395/taylor-puts-in-record-breaking-performance-on-saturday/

Now that the new track is becoming a reality, consider how much the program will grow with that as an attraction to top T&F athletes. While T&F does not get the same coverage as some of the other high profile sports, having VU teams improve in the conference across the board builds such a convincing story for prospective students.  It would be great to see VU among the leaders in HL sports.  The track will help to make that happen -- at least for T&F and CC.  Golf and tennis are pushing hard already.  Next up:  Swimming & Diving.  Who's gonna donate the new pool and diving tank?

That little Lutheran, private university in NW Indiana is showing that excellence can be achieved.  I want more, but, hey, the kids are all right - and they graduate, and they make dean's list, and they are nice people.  Isn't that what this is all about?    :cheers:

valpotx

I was glad to see her record as well.  We should get better quality athletes in T&F/CC with some improvements, and hopefully S&D will do the same if we improve their situation.  These are sports where you can get top quality athletes to compete for conference championships, by being a great academic school, similar to golf and tennis (usually have smarter players overall in these sports).  We have an advantage over other conference schools for this reason, so if we have that little extra to sell us to recruits, our reputation can take us over the top with their school decisions.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Absolutely, good on Jazmin!  One of my students.  Chemistry major, physics minor.

Recall that this is the same Jazmin Taylor that agreed to walk-on to the basketball team in the middle of their season, when they were so short-handed.  The overlapping seasons hadn't occurred to me at the time, but I suppose it's likely that she agreed from the beginning to join basketball for a fixed term, leaving before the end of their season.

Looks like her last game appearance was January 23.
http://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/boxscore/2013-14/3945/detroit-vs-valpo-01-23-2014/ 

agibson

I notice Jazmin broke the school record again at the HL Indoor Championships.  Took 2nd place.   1st place was the same height, but in fewer attempts.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/wtrack/news/2013-14/13469/drozdowski-taylor-and-bloy-lead-crusaders-at-day-two-of-hl-championships/

A number of impressive performances from others, as well.

valporun

This is a good showing from the Crusaders track and field program, considering our indoor track is three tight lanes of plastic, and we don't have sand to land in for long and triple jump, or a true pole vault area to work from. If I recall, we have a couple pieces of the arena floor that can be removed for the pole box to place the pole on attempts to vault over the standard bar. I hope this severely changes when the fieldhouse is built, as everything is rubberized and have facility space for the throws and jumps to train properly.

VULB#62

In the interim (i.e., before the field house is eventually built) wouldn't be nice to have a bubble on Brown Field --- similar to Concordia University, St. Paul on YouTube:  Sea Foam Dome   
It could cover a 100 yard straight-away and the jumping pits and could also include the HJ area if done well.  That would only scratch the surface.  Baseball, softball, football and M&W soccer could use it for off season workouts as well.  The bubble could be inflated for next winter while the field house will probably take 10 years before it will be funded.   Just a thought.

vu72

So they put it up in the winter and take it down in the summer?  What does something like this cost?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Probably put it up after football and soccer season are done and then deflate and store it in the spring in time for the outdoor track season is my guess.

Cost?   Too much for Valpo -- probably ¾-1 million $$ for the dome itself.  Key to Concordia getting it was the Sea Foam company donation.  The total cost for stadium reconstruction, track, the dome and all phases of the project was stated on the CSP site at $8 million when it's all done. This was all done in a coordinated manner from the beginning (they built hidden concrete channels into the turf field to accommodate the dome).

Concordia St. Paul is a D-II program.  They are located adjacent to busy I-94 in the heart of St. Paul and get great exposure.