• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Youngstown State at Valpo--2/22/14--Saturday--3:00 p.m. CT--game thread

Started by historyman, February 21, 2014, 04:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Youngstown was able to pull out victories over UIC and Milwaukee at the Beeghley Center, barely. I don't see them winning on the road but you never know. So much depends on which officials show up to call the game which makes it so frustrating for everyone.

Valpo               69
Youngstown St  54
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

HC

As long as bald white ref isn't there I will be happy. Valpo wins 75-67. I'm excited to get to see KP play again, I think he's the best player in the league (I hope he HL toughs to find out I said that about a player not in a GB jersey).

classof2014

Hopefully LVD's injury isn't too serious. Even if he's limited tomorrow we should be able to handle YSU, other than KP nobody else on that team is any good.

That said, if LVD's injury is serious and it seriously limits our chances in beating WSU and CSU, we will need him in those games and the tourney.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

govalpogo

Thank the good Lord for a quick turnaround!  This board needs to get rid of some bad ju-ju, or at least find something else to hurl our righteous anger at!

agibson

Big crowd upstairs - best I've sat in this season.  Biggest at least.  Little thin in the chairs?  And... Where are the students?

SanityLost17

That was an obvious illegal screen on Perry's game winning 3-point attempt, right? 

valpotx

Fun game to watch, glad that we pulled it out.  If we win at WSU, I think that we win the CSU game based on the gain of confidence in close games.  We lost several of these earlier in the season, but have won a few at the end now
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 22, 2014, 04:56:59 PMThat was an obvious illegal screen on Perry's game winning 3-point attempt, right? 
I hope that makes the highlight reel because somehow I managed to miss it.  As he received the pass I was wondering aloud how he managed to get so wide open.

vu72

Totally missed the game, although I was checking the score all the way.  This GF thing, at my age, is becoming problematic, particularly as it affects my Valpo game viewing.  Anyway, the box score indicates a very well played game with no particularly bias from the refs, as each team shot about 13 FTs. Both team also had terrfic Assts to TOs ratios.

Glad we pulled it out and must beat WSU to lock in the 3 seed.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Chairback

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 22, 2014, 04:56:59 PMThat was an obvious illegal screen on Perry's game winning 3-point attempt, right? 

Yes.  I looked at the replay 3 times after the game just to confirm what I saw.  #20 Hain was not even close to being set and moved to get his body all over Dority.

Moussa would have been whistled instantly if it was him setting that......

Smj

We looked good and all in all a much better officiating performance.    fun to watch when they don't stop play every 5 seconds.

Alec is going to be HL player of the year during his career at valpo.

classof2014

Fun game to watch and overall I thought it was one of the best officiated HL games this season. I also thought Keith Carter played a fantastic game, and the offense ran smoothly through him. Seems like those early season losses are paying off now.

Looked at the stat line, 18 assists to only 9 turnovers, and 8 steals, to YSU's 1. both KC and LVD had 6 dimes a piece as well. Bravo.

Smj

I have to agree that keith probably look the best I've seen him in a game yet. ( but for now I think Lexus deserves to keep his starting spot)

HC

Lexus, Yeo and Especially Jubril played like freshmen today. Hoping they bounce back quickly. Also, I've been hating on Bobby since he got here, but those were some huge shots and I couldn't be happier for him!

historyman

Were those the usual refs normally employed by the HL? It seemed those refs, at least two of them, were older and may have been more experienced. Maybe they were inserted into the rotation of refs that the HL uses when the refs from the Valpo/GB game were taken out of the rotation. That is just a guess but those refs seemed to be extremely serious about their jobs as if they were auditioning to win a spot in the regular officials' rotation. As I said this was only a guess.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

classof2014

Quote from: historyman on February 22, 2014, 10:25:51 PM
Were those the usual refs normally employed by the HL? It seemed those refs, at least two of them, were older and may have been more experienced. Maybe they were inserted into the rotation of refs that the HL uses when the refs from the Valpo/GB game were taken out of the rotation. That is just a guess but those refs seemed to be extremely serious about their jobs as if they were auditioning to win a spot in the regular officials' rotation. As I said this was only a guess.

They certainly seemed better and the game had great flow. One of the better officiated games I've watched this season. Bravo to them. Hopefully we can get this set for the remainder of the season.

As for the game, like I said it was an extremely entertaining game and it was great to see Alec back to early season form. It was also nice to see KC play like the KC we were expecting earlier on. Also our 3 bigs only had 3 fouls between them. Overall it was a very well played and pretty clean game on both sides of the ball. Very few fouls and very few TOs. If we play like this against WSU we have a good chance of beating them in the Nut House.

valpospartan

Quote from: Chairback on February 22, 2014, 07:30:43 PM

Yes.  I looked at the replay 3 times after the game just to confirm what I saw.  #20 Hain was not even close to being set and moved to get his body all over Dority.

Moussa would have been whistled instantly if it was him setting that......

I saw Hain set illegal screens several times.

valpopal

As others have mentioned, it was refreshing to see Alec regain his confidence, take more shots, and be more aggressive. I hope he is returning to his early season form. In addition, the big men played well (even though Valpo was out-rebounded), with Bobby and Vashil getting 0 turnovers while Moussa only had 2. In fact, the team kept total turnovers to a single digit (9), while there were 8 steals. Dority and Carter each had 6 assists, and the team had 18 assists on 24 baskets.

Youngstown State's weakness is its lack of depth, which came into play at the end of the game, as 5 guys basically played the entire game: Perry did play 40 minutes. The YSU starters averaged more than 37 minutes of play, while Valpo played 10 men and spread out the minutes.

Of course, Bobby's 2-2 on 3-pointers was a huge contribution, but Dority deserves recognition not just for his 15 points and 6 assists on offense, but for his fine defense on Perry, who only made 2 field goals throughout the whole game. All of this despite Dority still being in some pain with a bad back injury gotten when he was hit in Green Bay during one of the no-calls in that game. Indeed, as others have noted, the officiating was good in this game because the refs were not even noticed or an issue most of the game.

Speaking of injuries: E. Victor Nickerson was walking around on crutches. He had hip surgery and will be unable to practice or to do his dance in the pregame ritual for a couple of months. Bryce is hoping he will recover and work out during the summer so that he is strong at the start of next season.

Vashil looked particularly good in this game with 8 rebounds, 7 points, 2 blocks, 2 steals, and 0 turnovers. Carter also seemed more comfortable and playing better, though his 3-pt shot was off. One hopes this is a hint at the Vashil and Carter we will see next year.

Here are some photos I took of Bobby, Vashil, Alec, and LaVonte:

valpopal

As the season comes close to an end, I think it is a good time to note something often overlooked about our athletes. We frequently refer to them as student-athletes, but we focus mostly on the athletics side of the individuals, and justifiably so. However, I want to compliment the players on the basketball team for their apparently fine character off the court as well. This compliment also applies to players on other Valparaiso teams I have seen off the field of play.

After each basketball game some of the players are asked to speak at the post-game press conference, which can be enjoyable after a win but difficult after a loss, especially those last-minute defeats we've seen this season. Nevertheless, every player who has been placed in this situation—which means the whole team, since Bryce has spread the duties throughout the season—has handled himself with grace and maturity.

It has been a pleasure to witness the demeanor and the thoughtful comments made by the players following each game, particularly knowing these young individuals are representatives of the university. It is amazing to see them in such control of their emotions only moments after a thrilling and exhausting contest, win or loss. This is true of the seniors who have displayed a great deal of leadership and the freshmen who have exhibited surprising composure even when speaking after a disappointing performance.

This was evident again in the post-game press conference after the Youngstown State game. Valpo was represented by seniors (Capobianco and Dority) and a freshman (Peters), all presenting themselves as excellent spokesmen as they sat beside Coach Drew.

In addition, I want to make a point that this observation applies to players from other teams in the Horizon League as well. On the other side, Kendrick Perry sat by himself and answered questions after another devastating loss to Valpo during which he had a chance to win the game with his last-minute 3-point attempt that fell short. Perry was humble, generous, eloquent in his comments, and anyone could see why he was recently named a Second Team Academic All-American.

Once more, as the season draws near its end, I just want to congratulate the players for the development of their character as much as for the development of their physical skills. We are fortunate to have such student-athletes.

HC

He sat there by himself? Where was his coach at? I've always liked KP and think he is probably the best talent in the league.

zvillehaze

Quote from: historyman on February 22, 2014, 10:25:51 PM

Historyman is correct ... the refs from the YSU game appear to be semi-retired or part-timers, as that game represented just the 3rd, 7th and 13th D-I game each has done this season.

By comparison, the refs from the GB game have worked 74, 29 and 26 games on the year.  One of them, Jamie Luckie, worked the Duke-Syracuse game (no, he didn't make "The Call") yesterday and works only a handful of HL games.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on February 23, 2014, 11:42:29 AM
As the season comes close to an end, I think it is a good time to note something often overlooked about our athletes. We frequently refer to them as student-athletes, but we focus mostly on the athletics side of the individuals, and justifiably so. However, I want to compliment the players on the basketball team for their apparently fine character off the court as well. This compliment also applies to players on other Valparaiso teams I have seen off the field of play.

After each basketball game some of the players are asked to speak at the post-game press conference, which can be enjoyable after a win but difficult after a loss, especially those last-minute defeats we've seen this season. Nevertheless, every player who has been placed in this situation—which means the whole team, since Bryce has spread the duties throughout the season—has handled himself with grace and maturity.

It has been a pleasure to witness the demeanor and the thoughtful comments made by the players following each game, particularly knowing these young individuals are representatives of the university. It is amazing to see them in such control of their emotions only moments after a thrilling and exhausting contest, win or loss. This is true of the seniors who have displayed a great deal of leadership and the freshmen who have exhibited surprising composure even when speaking after a disappointing performance.

This was evident again in the post-game press conference after the Youngstown State game. Valpo was represented by seniors (Capobianco and Dority) and a freshman (Peters), all presenting themselves as excellent spokesmen as they sat beside Coach Drew.

In addition, I want to make a point that this observation applies to players from other teams in the Horizon League as well. On the other side, Kendrick Perry sat by himself and answered questions after another devastating loss to Valpo during which he had a chance to win the game with his last-minute 3-point attempt that fell short. Perry was humble, generous, eloquent in his comments, and anyone could see why he was recently named a Second Team Academic All-American.

Once more, as the season draws near its end, I just want to congratulate the players for the development of their character as much as for the development of their physical skills. We are fortunate to have such student-athletes.

One of the best posts I have read in a long time.  Love the pictures, as well (all the pictures you provide).  Thanks, valpopal!

valpopal

Quote from: HC on February 23, 2014, 12:05:38 PM
He sat there by himself? Where was his coach at? I've always liked KP and think he is probably the best talent in the league.

I was photographing the post-game television interviews of Bryce and Alec over at Sports Channel, and I arrived a few minutes late to Perry's press conference. Therefore, I didn't catch why Coach Slocum wasn't seated beside his player. My guess was that he was not feeling well. Perhaps Oren or Leavitt could provide an answer. In any case, Perry displayed a great amount of class in his comments.