• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball at JSU

Started by jetz, February 22, 2014, 09:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetz

Obviously not the way we wanted to start the series yesterday at Jax State.  They have a nice team, and we didn't pitch or hit.  Tough to win that way.  Here's what to root for as a Valpo fan over the next couple of games, and how to listen/follow:

Look for us to outhit JSU.  We have been outhit in three of four games so far this year.  Focus on the middle of the order.  We need 3-4-5 to just get on base to trigger a big inning.  I know, it's very early, but....

Can Hasler and Losi give us quality starts over the weekend?  Hasler's experience now as the Saturday guy will give him confidence going forward when Lundeen likely returns as the #2 guy.  Look for a reliever to emerge as a good set up guy.  Bryce Yoder is so far looking like a strong candidate to give us multiple innings out of the pen.  Karch will be strong as the closer the farther we get into the schedule. 

I listened to the game on the web on WJLS, 91.9 FM on TuneIn radio or whatever app.  The guy wasn't great, but you got the idea.  JSU also has a live stats link which was well done yesterday.  If you're on Twitter, you can follow @RJMahoney01 for tweets from a Valpo perspective. 

Here's to a good showing this weekend...GO VALPO! 

"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

valpotx

Have you been at the games?  It would look like Morman is struggling at 0/16, but he only has 2 strikeouts.  That at least means he is putting it in play, but are they solid outs or weak?  Same thing for Mark Johnson at 0/10 with 1 strikeout, which is an improvement for him.  I believe that over his career, he has averaged a strikeout in almost 1 out of every 2 ABs.  If you can't tell, I hate it when people strikeout a lot lol.  I am very much a proponent of at least putting it in play each AB, even if it is the occasional weak out :).
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Just as I spoke about Morman, he is 2/2 so far in a 3-0 lead
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Morman has had to overcome a lot of injury issues in the last couple seasons. Let him get the bugs out.

valpotx

Valpo wins the second game 10-3!  Rubber game tomorrow to take the series
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Quote from: valpotx on February 22, 2014, 11:47:46 AM
Have you been at the games?  It would look like Morman is struggling at 0/16, but he only has 2 strikeouts.  That at least means he is putting it in play, but are they solid outs or weak?  Same thing for Mark Johnson at 0/10 with 1 strikeout, which is an improvement for him.  I believe that over his career, he has averaged a strikeout in almost 1 out of every 2 ABs.  If you can't tell, I hate it when people strikeout a lot lol.  I am very much a proponent of at least putting it in play each AB, even if it is the occasional weak out :).

I have not been to the games, but I know that Morman was very solid in the fall and in practice this winter.  Our pitchers struggled with him, and I know some of the guys were shocked that he got off to a slow start.  As you said, I think he was hitting the ball well, but they just weren't falling.  If he stays healthy, he'll be one of our better hitters by the end of the year.  I hate strikeouts too!  :censored:  Hoping for another road series win today...
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

valpotx

Seemed like a competitive game, but we came on the short end at 6-3.  Morman is 4 for his last 8, so he seems to be getting back into a groove.  I am happy to be 3-3 against 2 quality opponents on the road. 
"Don't mess with Texas"