• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2014 NCAA Tournament

Started by Kyle321n, March 20, 2014, 11:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle321n

Place to discuss the NCAA Tournament.

This year I loaded up my Bovada account with $20 (plus the $7 I had leftover from the Super Bowl and random NCAA Bets). I'm going to put $1 on every game until my money runs out or the tournament is over.  Let's see how long it lasts! I'll try to update the OP as frequently as I bet. I put $1 on Wichita St. (10/1) and Oklahoma State (40/1) to win it all.  Now I have $25 to play the tournament.

First round bets + $3.67
Pittsburgh -7 (-105)
Ohio State -6 (-115)
Syracuse -13 (-110)
Harvard +3½  (-110)
Wisconsin -14½ (-105)
Oregon -6 (-105)
Florida -21½ (-110)
Mich St. -14½ (-110)
St Louis -3 (-115)
Oklahoma -3½ (-115)
Michigan -15½ (-105)
St. Joseph's +5 (-105)
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpotx

Well son of a b!  In just the first game of the round of 64, most of the US is out of the $1 billion challenge, including me.  Stupid Dayton beating OSU :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

Quote from: valpotx on March 20, 2014, 01:31:17 PMStupid Dayton beating OSU :)
:-[ >:( :'(

at least now I don't have to watch the rest of the tournament...

a3uge

Great game right away! +1 for me taking off work

covufan

Quote from: valpotx on March 20, 2014, 01:31:17 PMWell son of a b!  In just the first game of the round of 64, most of the US is out of the $1 billion challenge, including me. 
My thoughts exactly! 

Kyle321n

I didn't bet with my bracket for some reason and I'm perfect so far.  Get ready Warren!
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpotx

I have to imagine that after 4 games, at least 95% of brackets are busted with both Dayton and Harvard winning.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpospartan

Quote from: valpotx on March 20, 2014, 01:31:17 PM
Well son of a b!  In just the first game of the round of 64, most of the US is out of the $1 billion challenge, including me.  Stupid Dayton beating OSU :)

Stupid Ohio State for losing to Dayton.

LaPorteAveApostle

to pre-empt this year's argument, here's how you know today begins the first round: because no one's bracket had picks for anything that happened before today.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

It should be a good finish. North Dakota St leads Oklahoma by 2 with about 14 minutes to go in the 2nd half. ND St is representing the Summit League well. If only GB had done the same for the HL.

valpotx

I actually picked the NDSU one.  It will be interesting to see if anyone is left in the Billion Dollar Challenge.
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Mercer just goes to show how valuable a bunch of experienced seniors can be. Too bad most of you were working (or babysitting) and had to miss it.  ;)

valpotx

Good for Mercer.  I think that it is absolutely moronic that they were wearing 'The Mercer Way' shirts...
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Well at least we played them 3-OT tough ;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

Lol Mercer beating Duke. Ugh that should've been us last year. Bad draw to Mich State.

But Mercer didn't seem to completely outplay duke like Lehigh did 2 years ago... Norfolk State was so hot against Mizzou all game. FGCU played with Final Four confidence. Mercer kinda just stuck around and took advantage of Dukes collapses. Great game.

justducky

Quote from: a3uge on March 21, 2014, 02:04:04 PMMercer kinda just stuck around and took advantage of Dukes collapses. Great game.
justducky  "yup"
valpotx  "yup"
Apostle  "yup"
a3uge   "yup"
All together now  "YUP"

vu72

I'm watching Jason Caliste play great for the Oregon Ducks.  Could he have been POY if he had stayed at Detroit??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Certainly Detroit would have been a real threat to the rest of the HL.  I doubt PoY because his team still wouldn't have been GB good, and this is as much a team award as individual.

He'd BETTER be good--his last name is Gk. for "the best".

a3uge

Caliste has looked awesome all year. It's astonishing how the only thing udm was able to accomplish with McCallum, Caliste, and Maclamore doppelganger was a single 15 seed.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on March 22, 2014, 09:24:47 PMCaliste has looked awesome THUGGISH all year.
FIXED IT FOR YOU

You can take the thug out of Detroit...

valpotx

No surprise that with the game decided, an ex-Detroit Titan gets an unsportsmanlike technical foul...
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 22, 2014, 09:32:22 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 22, 2014, 09:24:47 PMCaliste has looked awesome THUGGISH all year.
FIXED IT FOR YOU

You can take the thug out of Detroit...

Hahaha exactly. Still amazing though how unproductive udm was with those guys.... Include holeman too... Wow.

historyman

I was thinking the same thing that Caliste played a great game for Oregon. But then he sent that Badger to the floor hard on his backside I thought and there's the ex-Titan in him that comes through when the going gets tough. Dana Altman must have been thinking then "why did I think taking a guy from Detroit-Mercy would be a good move?"
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on March 23, 2014, 02:14:23 AM"why did I think taking a guy from Detroit-Mercy would be a good move?"
Just "Detroit"...they have no mercy ;)

vu72

Creighton losing by 26 to Baylor. With the loss of six seniors including Dougee McBuckets, do they join Butler at the bottom of their league??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015