• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Lutheran Basketball Tourney

Started by vu72, March 30, 2014, 07:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Congrats to all the organizers and Valpo staff for once again putting on the this incredible tourney over the last several days.  More than 2500 folks descended on Valpo using thousands of room nights and eating lots of food around the area.  Every game was able to be viewed on line!

What this does for the University is beyond measure.  Kids from 15 states (and their parents)including Texas, California, Florida and Nevada, have been exposed to Valpo, the campus and much more.  The Chapel was packed with the beginning ceremony which included a speech from Valpo asst coach Matt Lottich.,

I know Rod Moore was on their Board and may still be.  This must prove invaluable when recruiting future Lutheran students among may other valuable items.     :clap: :clap: :clap:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

I attended, watched some of the games, and took some photographs. The place was busy with athletes, their families, and friends—all seemingly enjoying the experience. I also saw Aaron Leavitt, who seemed as busy as ever with assisting and acting as a good will ambassador. This is a wonderful outreach for Valparaiso University each year with much positive public relations. The only negative: I wish the campus didn't look so bleak with mud and dead grass after such a difficult winter.

FWalum

St. Pauls' Lutheran Grade School in Fort Wayne, of which I am the school board chairman, won the Boy's division!  An amazing weekend with close to 3000 participants, coaches and parent supporters. I work with one of the software programs that Porter county uses so I made the short trip worked Friday and then was able to see all but one of their games.  Two of our players made the all tournament team (both 7th graders) and another won the sportsmanship award.  Very proud of our boy's behaved and our school in general!  :thumbsup:

If you have not been you ought to go check it out sometime.  108 games in 3 days all in the ARC can you say basketball overload....  I will try to post some pics later.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FWalum

Quote from: valpopal on March 30, 2014, 07:52:49 PM
I attended, watched some of the games, and took some photographs. The place was busy with athletes, their families, and friends—all seemingly enjoying the experience. I also saw Aaron Leavitt, who seemed as busy as ever with assisting and acting as a good will ambassador. This is a wonderful outreach for Valparaiso University each year with much positive public relations. The only negative: I wish the campus didn't look so bleak with mud and dead grass after such a difficult winter.
Can you share those photos?  Here is one that should interest some of the VU fans of Rod Moore. He is presenting the Jack Fordyce Boy's Individual Sportsmanship Award to our St Paul's 8th grader Colton Grahovac

Talked to Rod for quite a while one night and got to see his beautiful onyx GLATA Pinnacle award which he had received earlier in March.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpopal

Quote from: FWalum on April 02, 2014, 11:31:16 AM
Quote from: valpopal on March 30, 2014, 07:52:49 PM
Can you share those photos? 

During the brief time I was there on Saturday, I only took a few photos of some folks I knew, but the university had their own student photographers covering the whole tournament, and they have posted over 200 images at the following:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/valparaiso_university/sets/72157643117462123/

historyman

From the pictures it's obvious they used both of the Hilltop gyms including the gym upstairs.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

FWalum

Quote from: historyman on April 02, 2014, 11:18:09 PM
From the pictures it's obvious they used both of the Hilltop gyms including the gym upstairs.
Yes, they went cross court on the main floor for two courts, Hilltop and the upstairs court where also used for a total of 4 courts on Friday and Saturday.  On Sunday the main floor was used for the championship games with the bottom section of bleachers pulled out.  During the semi-finals and finals these bleachers were pretty full.

talksalot

and you can archive, this, but you can watch all of the games on www.lbaa.org and just click on the gym... Blue, Red, White, Hilltop... and on Sunday, the consolation championships and the overall championships are full-court in the ARC.    I officiated in this tournament for about 25 years... and the last two, I've had the privilege to announce the Boys and Girls National Championship games.  Great Tournament !!