• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

State of the Message Board Address

Started by dcvalpo, June 14, 2011, 02:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcvalpo

My fellow Crusaders,

I write to you today, not with my usual joy and humor, but with a melancholy spirit.  Maybe you have noticed that our little piece of the cyberwebs---this message board---is gasping for air.  Sure, we have had a comment here or a poll there, but the traffic and general conversation that endeared many of us to this place has nearly come to a halt.  Where has all of the insightful posting gone?  Where are the offseason speculations?  When will get an update about Ryan's trip home?  At one time, this was the best message board in the Horizon League, and one of the better communities in the nation.  Let's get it back to that point!

I know that many of you enjoyed my pot-stirring commentary or my subtle, but friendly, jabs at some of our fellow posters...many of you have taken the time to let me know that my posting has been missed.  Yet,  I will not return to that style of posting, as I now know the consequences will be severe.  No, this is not a time for humor...this is not my time, except that I am calling to arms some of the greats.

RLH, VU72, StlVUfan, sectionee, Jack, DMValpo18...man your posting stations!  This is your time to revive this board again...you six, in my humble opinion, are the cream of the crop here.  I challenge each of you to create one post this week...with your help, this message board will be buzzing again.

For the brown and for the gold, for Crusaders young, and Crusaders old, do it for our lady, Valparaiso!!!

Sincerely,

dcvalpo

dcvalpo

My apologies, I should have also mentioned that our awesome mods, Valpo04 and ValpoHoops have some fantastic insights as well and their posts would also be welcomed!!

And how could I forget chef!!!!!

DMvalpo18

well the message board certainly has slowed down. i'm all for revamping it again. injecting new life into it, if you will.

valpo04

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on June 14, 2011, 05:20:05 PM
well the message board certainly has slowed down. i'm all for revamping it again. injecting new life into it, if you will.

It happens every year around this time.  School is out, vacations have kicked in.  I'm all for more discussion, but I wouldn't be too worried about it.

rlh

There are a couple of interesting things coming soon....but unfortunately we can't announce yet....this is a normal lull in posting because of the summer vacation, etc....give it a couple of weeks and things will pick up.....

dcvalpo

Are you suggesting we start a completely new website and message board??  I think valpo04 and valpohoops have done a lot of work on this site and have brought us this far...why change that now? 

We don't need new life---we need the old life---rlh, stl, jack, and sectionee---to get back to doing what they do best----posting great stuff!!!!   :thumbsup: Just my :twocents:

dcvalpo

Well, I know you guys think this is "normal" and just a "lull," and that we shouldn't "worry" about it and "give it a couple of weeks..."  but I am just missing me some VU hoops talk!!!  Cmon guys, we can do better than this!!

dcvalpo

Quote from: rlh on June 14, 2011, 10:17:26 PM
There are a couple of interesting things coming soon....but unfortunately we can't announce yet....this is a normal lull in posting because of the summer vacation, etc....give it a couple of weeks and things will pick up.....

Alright, spill the beans rlh!  You can't leave that kind of teaser out there...help a brotha out!!! 

sectionee

Quote from: dcvalpo on June 14, 2011, 10:57:48 PM

Are you suggesting we start a completely new website and message board??  I think valpo04 and valpohoops have done a lot of work on this site and have brought us this far...why change that now? 

We don't need new life---we need the old life---rlh, stl, jack, and sectionee---to get back to doing what they do best----posting great stuff!!!!   :thumbsup: Just my :twocents:
This probably doesn't warrant a response, but did you seriously interpret what he said this way?

covufan

Quote from: valpo04 on June 14, 2011, 08:28:08 PM

It happens every year around this time.  School is out, vacations have kicked in.  I'm all for more discussion, but I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Agree.  Summer is just a slow time for the board.  The fall sports will be starting in a few months - hopefully we'll have some some good and improving teams this fall. 

covufan

Quote from: dcvalpo on June 14, 2011, 10:59:42 PM
Well, I know you guys think this is "normal" and just a "lull," and that we shouldn't "worry" about it and "give it a couple of weeks..."  but I am just missing me some VU hoops talk!!!  Cmon guys, we can do better than this!!

Get outside and enjoy the summer weather.  Start reading a book you've put off for some time.  Get a new hobby.  This board shouldn't be your only release. 

dcvalpo

Quote from: covufan on June 15, 2011, 09:31:36 AM
Quote from: dcvalpo on June 14, 2011, 10:59:42 PM

Get outside and enjoy the summer weather.  Start reading a book you've put off for some time.  Get a new hobby.  This board shouldn't be your only release. 

I hear ya co...and I actually went to the beach once this summer and started reading a book.  Just love me some VU hoops and want to keep the conversation going!

dcvalpo

Quote from: sectionee on June 15, 2011, 12:53:08 AM
Quote from: dcvalpo on June 14, 2011, 10:57:48 PM

This probably doesn't warrant a response, but did you seriously interpret what he said this way?

re·vamp   
[v. ree-vamp; n. ree-vamp] 
–verb (used with object)
to renovate, redo, or revise: We've decided to revamp the entire show.

I was being a little tongue-in-cheek, but revamp does actually imply that things would be totally made over or redone.

DMvalpo18

maybe we just need to admit that right now there is a lack of topics.

dcvalpo

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on June 16, 2011, 10:06:32 PM

Ryan's trip to Australia, recruiting for next season, Bryce's new staff and their impact, the upcoming "surprise" from VU athletics, the return of Tommy Kurth, a "where are they now?" segment---possibly written by sectionee???, Kevin's back---how far down the rabbit hole of topics do you want to go, DMValpo?  Instead of complaining, use that sharp posting ability and drop some knowledge on us in one of those topics!   :thumbsup: :twocents:

valpo04

Quote from: dcvalpo on June 17, 2011, 07:19:38 AM

Ryan's trip to Australia, recruiting for next season, Bryce's new staff and their impact, the upcoming "surprise" from VU athletics, the return of Tommy Kurth, a "where are they now?" segment---possibly written by sectionee???, Kevin's back---how far down the rabbit hole of topics do you want to go, DMValpo?  Instead of complaining, use that sharp posting ability and drop some knowledge on us in one of those topics!   :thumbsup: :twocents:

I wouldn't say he is the one complaining in this thread.

agibson

So, whatever _did_ happen to that athletics surprise?  Was there a date mentioned?

dcvalpo

Quote from: valpo04 on June 17, 2011, 08:34:53 AM
Quote from: dcvalpo on June 17, 2011, 07:19:38 AM

I wouldn't say he is the one complaining in this thread.

Sorry, not trying to complain...just trying to spur on some discussion!

StlVUFan

April through October is MLB-intensive in my abode.  If you're losing sleep because I'm not posting much here during the College Basketball off-season, I feel sorry for you ;)

Let something happen (Bryce being hired) and I'll show a bit of interest.  If I've got nothing else to do (like right this second), I'll catch up on unread posts.  But my enthusiasm is elsewhere right now.  That's just the way it is.

dcvalpo

Quote from: StlVUFan on June 17, 2011, 05:20:35 PM
April through October is MLB-intensive in my abode.  If you're losing sleep because I'm not posting much here during the College Basketball off-season, I feel sorry for you ;)

Let something happen (Bryce being hired) and I'll show a bit of interest.  If I've got nothing else to do (like right this second), I'll catch up on unread posts.  But my enthusiasm is elsewhere right now.  That's just the way it is.

Please tell me you're not a Cardinals' fan!

StlVUFan

Quote from: dcvalpo on June 17, 2011, 06:15:41 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on June 17, 2011, 05:20:35 PM
April through October is MLB-intensive in my abode.  If you're losing sleep because I'm not posting much here during the College Basketball off-season, I feel sorry for you ;)

Let something happen (Bryce being hired) and I'll show a bit of interest.  If I've got nothing else to do (like right this second), I'll catch up on unread posts.  But my enthusiasm is elsewhere right now.  That's just the way it is.

Please tell me you're not a Cardinals' fan!

I'm a White Sox fan who also roots for the Cardinals.

sectionee

How unfortunate!  I bet you wear jean shorts too don't you?  ;D

dcvalpo

Stl, you and your son never beat up any coaches on the field did you?!?!   ???  LOL, just giving you the business...

I KNEW sectionee would beat me to the punch with a zinger...he and I have a very similar sense of humor and posting style

vuweathernerd

for better or worse, i'm actually rooting FOR the cubs this weekend (which is very abnormal as a born and raised cardinals fan). i hate the yankees far more than i could ever hate the cubs.

sectionee

Quote from: dcvalpo on June 18, 2011, 05:35:19 PM
Stl, you and your son never beat up any coaches on the field did you?!?!   ???  LOL, just giving you the business...

I KNEW sectionee would beat me to the punch with a zinger...he and I have a very similar sense of humor and posting style
Oh good Lord, please say this isn't true!