• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU Rep

Started by 78crusader, April 29, 2014, 08:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

At its root, this whole discussion is yet another exemplification of the disintegration of the concept of "freedom" from "the ability to choose the good" to merely "the ability to choose".

Sad, really.  We're a long way afield from topic, though.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

StlVUFan

Quote from: a3uge on June 07, 2014, 12:00:47 AM
Quote from: HC on June 06, 2014, 10:35:07 AM
You can also socialize without drinking

Agree to disragree.
I've done it plenty of times.

usc4valpo

Ok, I understand this thread has gone a little off topic.  However, for the reputation of VU, you do not want to go overboard with rules and restrictions.

T_$

Getting back to the reputation of Valpo, would it make sense to drop certain majors in help our rankings? With the cost of education continuing to rise rapidly, does it make sense to continue to have education as a major? Would we be better off only offering Masters level programs? Do parents have a tough time spending 45k pre yr for an education degree when a state degree is about half the cost? Especially since little Johnny and Jenny will come out making less than 30k? Can the same be said for exercise science? Not trying to offend anyone, just asking a question with how much we cost compared to when I went to school.

usc4valpo

Wow, that is a bold suggestion.  There could be various degrees that they can bag.  At the end, someone will be pissed off.  This is happening at all universities, particularly private.  Heck, Cal Tech has recently cut some of their programs!

Does Valpo's mission needs to be revisited, reviewed and maybe revised?  From there they can determine what is critical to their success and their growth - as in the business or technical world, this is a holistic, "forest-from-the-trees," top-down approach.

Regarding education, how many students are enrolled in that program, and for that matter how many students are enrolled in other programs at Valpo?

Also, if they want higher academics and growth, they must continue to promote diversity.   Respect what you are, but do not prohibit yourselves to that.

vu72

OK, I'll have to jump in here.  I'm old school, I'll admit it.  I like my cocktails and enjoy one or two every day when I get home. I also happen to think everything tastes better with bacon. Can the "food police" be far behind?

The notion that we should eliminate alcohol to protect the public makes about as much sense as  not allowing anybody under 30 from driving a car.  Ever notice who drives in and out of traffic at crazy speeds? I'm in favor of more things being legalized, not less. 

I'm also in favor of strict interpretation and enforcement of the laws as they stand.  Taking freedoms away won't discourage the Al Capones of his day or the drug dealers of today.  Same for gun control.  Chicago and Houston are similarly sized cities.  In one you can buy a gun at about 1500 places and in the other, zero places.  Why then does Chicago have vastly more murders?  The cold weather??  Enforce the laws and leave the folks alone.

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: T_$ on June 03, 2014, 09:12:49 PM
My wife works at a prestigious college out east; about the size of Valpo; with students on a daily basis, and she is shocked when she hears about the number of students that leave every weekend.  For the guys that went to Valpo in the 70's and 80's, how did you enjoy your time on campus? Just because you have a liberal alcohol policy, it doesn't mean that you are going to attract lesser students.  Do you think the kids at Harvard and Columbia like to partake in the beverages? Does that hurt their elite reputation or the types of students they get?

You may want to read about the situation at Dartmouth. Even Ivy League schools can and do have their reputations damaged by social "excess."

http://www.educationpost.com.hk/resources/education/140213-education-news-two-ivy-league-schools-see-applications-plunge-over-scandal-shortfall-in-graduates?utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=outbrain&utm_content=english-articles&utm_campaign=outbrain-paid-h1-2014

usc4valpo

The 2.1% percent enrollment drop for Harvard is insignificant.  Their reputation will always gather top students globally.

As for Dartmouth, another outstanding school, who really knows, but adding more rules and restrictions  can turn people off.  At a more liberal, top-academic university like Datmouth, this will be a detriment.
The fraternity and sorority situation in America is another problem, and many of them need to clean up their act.

LaPorteAveApostle

...not sure where to put this, but shopping online last night at sears they were featuring...  i'm not sure it's google-specific because I'm no penn state fan.  then again, being a rug is not exactly a good thing in a sports sense...well better than the doormat.

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

FWalum

Very interesting..... the only over "sports" rug I have seen in person was for the NC State Wolfpack.  Of course i can't honestly say I have been looking for them.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

I was in Montana on vacation over the last week, and received 4-5 different compliments about Valpo when I wore the baseball polo around town :)
"Don't mess with Texas"