• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

How does your state fare?

Started by wh, May 01, 2014, 07:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

I came across kind of an interesting Gallup poll.  People in all 50 states were asked the question: "Regardless of whether you WILL move, if you had the opportunity, would you LIKE to move to another state, or would you rather remain in your state?

http://www.gallup.com/poll/168770/half-illinois-connecticut-move-elsewhere.aspx#2

38% of respondents in my home state of Indiana said they would rather live somewhere else.  That's 11th highest among all states. Honestly, I'm not all that surprised. There's not a lot of glamour to Indiana.  Even worse was neighboring Illinois where half the population wished they lived somewhere else.  Ouch!  Tex and '72 should be smiling.  The vast majority of Texans like life right where they are.       

valpotx

I am definitely staying in TX for the rest of my life :).  So many people have been moving to Texas in the last decade, it has gotten ridiculous.  You can't go anywhere in DFW without seeing some massive construction projects of highways/office space/homes/apartments/etc.  We have a ton of space here, very low unemployment, companies continue to relocate to and open offices in TX, low cost of living, it is warm for most of the year, entertainment of all types (sports teams, museums, etc), and generally everyone is friendly.  If I had to live somewhere else, my second choice would be another state with similar ratings in this poll, Montana ;D.  I vacation in Montana on Flathead Lake every summer I can, on some property my family has owned since the 1950s, and would love to retire there if something weird happens in TX.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

our state fare is a great state fare:  FL not on there.

Which makes sense...it's retirement paradise, but that also makes it 'America's Australia', and so there are a lot of people who move here thinking they'll have a new life.

But these people changed their surroundings without changing themselves.  So, you want to move again.  Hence we're "average" and not in any top 10 either good or bad.

"Survey taken June-December 2013", huh?

I'm willing to bet that a lot more people wanted to leave FL when they asked in June, and no one in December.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 01, 2014, 08:24:47 PM

Which makes sense...it's retirement paradise, but that also makes it 'America's Australia', and so there are a lot of people who move here thinking they'll have a new life.

But these people changed their surroundings without changing themselves.  So, you want to move again.  Hence we're "average" and not in any top 10 either good or bad.

I'm willing to bet that a lot more people wanted to leave FL when they asked in June, and no one in December.

The complete list of states is on page 2.  Page refs. are in the upper right-hand corner.  Florida is better than average in resident satisfaction.

vu72

Quote from: wh on May 01, 2014, 08:33:44 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 01, 2014, 08:24:47 PM

The complete list of states is on page 2.  Page refs. are in the upper right-hand corner.  Florida is better than average in resident satisfaction.

Dallas is far different from the rest of the "south", in that hardly anyone is "from here".  Unlike the midwest where two of my three best friends actually still live in the suburb where they were born, Dallas is a true "melting pot" and more so every year. Valpotx is right in that construction is booming down here, yet I truly miss Valpo in the spring!

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo04

covufan

When I lived in Indiana, I liked where I grew up, went to school, and worked for 15 years (all different places).  I had traveled enough to know that I would have taken a change of scenery, and I moved to Northern Virginia to work in DC.  I really liked much of what Virginia had to offer, but the humidity and commute took its toll, and we moved to Colorado about seven years ago.  Would not move from Colorado willingly! 

usc4valpo

Iowa is rated high!  The ag economy is good. people are generally nice, and Des Moines is becoming a popular place to live.

I cannot believe the rating for Illinois, it is staggering.  I am sure this poll is influence by economics

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: covufan on May 02, 2014, 03:44:02 PMWould not move from Colorado willingly!
*insert legalized marijuana joke here* :)

Quote from: usc4valpo on May 02, 2014, 05:23:39 PMI am sure this poll is influence by economics
show me a poll that isn't ;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

ok, so I remarked like Tim McCarver being the master of the obvious.

BTW, is Indiana's economy in a similarly bad situation as Illinois?  Wierd to see Iowa ranked so high on the positive end.