• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Another new low for the HL

Started by wh, May 06, 2014, 05:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Jim Tressel spends today at Youngstown State University interviewing for president

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/05/jim_tressel_spends_day_at_youn.html

What the article conveniently fails to mention is that this is the same Jim Tressel who resigned under pressure as OSU's football coach after being found guilty of multiple serious violations of NCAA rules.  The following article details Tressel's indiscretions, including inferences of cheating from his YSU years:

Jim Tressel: The Ultimate Fraud Should Receive Lifetime Coaching Ban

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jordan-schultz/jim-tressel-ultimate-fraud-lifetime-coaching-ban_b_869836.html

Making this guy a serious candidate for their president demonstrates a complete failure of principled leadership on the part of Youngstown State University. Just add it to the growing list of embarrassing situations around the league, including the academic compliance and accountability failures at Milwaukee and UIC, the Man of the Year bullying dichotomy, the athletic department/men basketball sex scandal at Detroit, the revolving door of failed AD's at Milwaukee, and the "religious" women's basketball coach run off by Oakland.   

VULB#62

What are they thinking?  Aren't they    :-[   ?   

Sure the guy is entitled to earn a living despite his past blunders, but............  president of a large (or small) university where the teaching of values and the maintenance of integrity should be cornerstones?       :crazy:

LaPorteAveApostle

I'm sure it's because of his advanced degree(s) that he is under such strong consideration.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo64

Academic highroads, integrity, common sense, etc., surely can't be found in the administration of YSU, even if he is only being interviewed as one of the final candidates.

justducky

Even more shocking than Jim Tressels behavior at OSU is the revelation that wh secretly enjoys reading the Huffington Post.  :o

VULB#62

wh

Gotta keep tabs on the enemy... ;)

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 09, 2014, 12:28:27 PMUSAToday confirms Tressel's gonna be the next YSU Prez. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2014/05/09/jim-tressel-president-youngstown-state/8890369/
After reading the story in USA Today I had to do some re-evaluating of the situation. You have to give some credit to a school for being able to truly size up a person for their true quality after that person has spent a great deal of time at that institution. Kudos to Akron for NOT hiring Jim Tressel as president where he has been working as an administrator.

Tressel recently was a finalist for but was not chosen to be president at the University of Akron, where he has been an administrator for two years.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo64

Disgusting, embarrassing, despicable....shows why YSU is at the bottom of the barrel in academics, etc. in the HL and the Midwest.  And to think that we are in the same conference with them?  Unbelievable!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on May 09, 2014, 12:44:21 PMYou have to give some credit to a school for being able to truly size up a person for their true quality after that person has spent a great deal of time at that institution.
And YSU can't remember back this long:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=1920867&type=story

Sooooo...maybe ValpoSpartan and I won't agree on much, but we can on this, right?  rooting against them just got a whole lot easier.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpo64 on May 09, 2014, 01:09:33 PM
Disgusting, embarrassing, despicable....shows why YSU is at the bottom of the barrel in academics, etc. in the HL and the Midwest.  And to think that we are in the same conference with them?  Unbelievable!
G. Gordon Gee: "Fire him??? I just hope he doesn't fire me!"

There is one interesting question that pops into my mind, totally trivial in context, but it's the only intrigue I find in all this: which YSU sport will this "positively" impact (from a competitive angle only) more, basketball or football?

setshot

T.G. WGB beat the Crusaders in softball and thereby represents the HL in The NCAA's. If Valpo had won,the HL would have sent a team with an overall 24-34 record to the NCAA's. That would have been a real downer. Q: Valpo played 58 games to WGB's 37,how come? Did Valpo burn itself out? Interesting. ???

valpotx

GB had several canceled games due to rain, much like our baseball team.  Also, our record was below .500, because we played a very rough non-conference schedule. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpospartan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 09, 2014, 03:13:59 PM
Quote from: historyman on May 09, 2014, 12:44:21 PMYou have to give some credit to a school for being able to truly size up a person for their true quality after that person has spent a great deal of time at that institution.
And YSU can't remember back this long:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=1920867&type=story

Sooooo...maybe ValpoSpartan and I won't agree on much, but we can on this, right?  rooting against them just got a whole lot easier.
I'm not sure what you mean LPAA but I will say that both OSU and my "friends " just down the road from MSU have been involved with some questionable things (can you say fab 5?) with no serious penalties dealt out by the joke named NCAA .

LaPorteAveApostle

If you don't think there were "serious penalties" doled out for the Ed Martin fiasco, then, yeah, I was right--we won't agree on much.

valpospartan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 12, 2014, 07:53:48 AM
If you don't think there were "serious penalties" doled out for the Ed Martin fiasco, then, yeah, I was right--we won't agree on much.
For what was described, by a NCAA official, as "one of the three or four most egregious violations of NCAA by-laws, ever", the NCAA added these penalties to those self imposed by Michigan:
Two years probation.
Loss of one scholarship a year for three years.
Disassociate with some members of the fab five for 10 years.
One year of no post season - later overturned on appeal.
The NCAA came very close to imposing the death penalty, indicating the seriousness of these infractions.  Instead they levied what I think are not serious penalties.

One ray of light for non u of m supporters is a little known fact is that the fab five won a NIT championship and a big 10 tournament championship and nothing else.

LaPorteAveApostle

I'm not going to argue an umpteen-year-old case with someone clearly intransigent on the matter, but I will simply note that nothing illegal was done by any employee of the university.  The case then boiled down to "what the employees should have known and then should have acted", which to me is a bit of a reach.  Certainly it's no Penn State.

And whatever you may think of the penalties, clearly you can't argue that they had no serious effect, as it wasn't until over ten years later that Michigan returned to its customary prominence.