• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Contraception coverage

Started by setshot, July 11, 2014, 12:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

setshot

Is there any information as to whether or not Valpo will join the likes of Notre Dame,Wheaton,Bob Jones U. or other faith based institutions in denying contraceptive coverage to female employees and students? Just curious. JJ

valpotx

I fully understand the controversy with Hobby Lobby.  However, I believe that there are 4-5 drugs (out of around 20) in particular that led to the religious exemption being granted, with all 4-5 being abortion-inducing drugs.  I think that Hobby Lobby will still be fine with their plans covering traditional birth control that prevents conception.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Quote from: valpotx on July 12, 2014, 12:02:14 AMI fully understand the controversy with Hobby Lobby.  However, I believe that there are 4-5 drugs (out of around 20) in particular that led to the religious exemption being granted, with all 4-5 being abortion-inducing drugs.  I think that Hobby Lobby will still be fine with their plans covering traditional birth control that prevents conception.

valpotx, thank you for stating accurately what has been almost total misreported in the major media outlets.  I don't know who Valpo uses as their health care provider, but if they use Concordia Health Plan, as many Lutheran organizations do, then those abortifacient drugs will most likely not be covered.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

usc4valpo

Once again the media blew something way out of proportion.

a3uge

Quote from: usc4valpo on July 13, 2014, 08:05:15 AM
Once again the media blew something way out of proportion.

It was a supreme court case.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on July 13, 2014, 12:37:16 PMIt was a supreme court case.
Yes, but the media is acting like it was incorrectly decided, when the opposite is true.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

The media just didn't want to tell the full story. If they had, the story would have been that the Supreme Court decided appropriately. Unfortunately, the ratings would take a hit daily, if the media covered the details of the stories they make newsworthy correctly.

usc4valpo

Dude, that was my intent of the message.  If you look at the big picture, this Supreme Court decision is really insignificant.

A lot of people are getting emotional without understanding the Supreme Court decision.