• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Lacrosse anyone?

Started by VULB#62, July 18, 2014, 04:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

I am all for men's and women's lacrosse.  You only need so many more scholarships, but gain a lot more student admissions specific to those programs.  I really like the direction of our university as a whole, but am impressed with the athletic program vision!  We don't need to build a new field as Brown Field can be used, and the field house is getting built anyways, and can be used by the teams in bad weather.
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

VULB#62

From that article, some of the things we previously discussed.  Nice to see an estimate of cost.

CSU would also add a women's sport, either lacrosse or indoor/outdoor track and field, said President Ronald Berkman and Athletics Director John Parry.

Adding two sports would cost about $900,000 a year for coaches, equipment and scholarships, Berkman said. But officials believe the investment is worth it to attract new students to the fast-growing sport.

In recent years lacrosse has become the latest recruitment tool for private universities in Ohio and other Midwestern states.

Relatively inexpensive to start, the sport has grown in popularity at high schools, especially those with middle-class students.

vu72

Interesting that the only other school with LaCrosse (D1 only??) in Ohio is Ohio State.

I just checked the usual suspects including ND, IU and the former ICC members, and only found ND and DePauw with LaCrosse programs.  Interesting dynamic relative to recruiting. Unlike say, golf or bowling, the total number of athletes would be closer to soccer.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Actually more, 72.  Soccer teams normally carry 22-25 players.  Lacrosse, because they sub like hockey, carry more like 40-50.  Start up Men's and Women's LaCrosse and you have between 90 and 100 "new" students X tuition, minus need based aid and  minus the $900K basic cost.  There should be  a net gain.

bbtds

Seems that AD John Parry tenure at Butler ended before they dropped lacrosse and after a few years at CSU that school brings in lacrosse. Wonder who likes lacrosse.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: IndyValpo on November 21, 2014, 09:52:36 AMCleveland State is adding LaCrosse
a bit outside their recruiting footprint

Quote from: vu72 on November 21, 2014, 10:25:00 AMthe only other school with LaCrosse
is North Judson

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 21, 2014, 10:46:17 AMMen's and Women's LaCrosse
well what else is there?  i doubt they have a sizable transgender population
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 21, 2014, 01:13:02 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on November 21, 2014, 10:46:17 AMMen's and Women's LaCrosse
well what else is there?  i doubt they have a sizable transgender population

......... as opposed to "another" women's sport like field hockey in the fall.  But how about co-ed Ultimate Frisbee? ;)

LaPorteAveApostle

just teasing everyone that spelled lacrosse LaCrosse is all.  carry on.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

That's BS on Cleveland State's part!  Bring back baseball, instead, since it is a HL sport.  Lacrosse has to be more expensive...
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Maybe.  But maybe not.  LAX only plays 13-14 games.  6-7 road trips.  6-7 home officials expense.

But I do agree that all HL schools should have Baseball.  Even though the snow in Cleveland will probably be there till next August  :lol:

Speaking of schools that need to upgrade their overall athletic programs, I went to UWGB for the MSO match a couple of weeks back.  They don't have a baseball team and their athletic "complex" was a joke.  D-I? Give me a break.  Massasoit CC in Brockton, MA had a better complex.  Soccer field was  better and their baseball diamond was first rate.  They even had a track (but no team).

valpo tundra

Lacrosse at Valpo would be a great addition for many of the stated reasons.  It probably would not need many scholarships to get started because many players come from an upper class or middle class background and just want a chance to continue playing in college.  The new fieldhouse would have to be built first, however, because right now the ARC really can only handle Volleyball, Basketball, and Intramurals.  The best sport to bring in relative to its ease to start is Men's Volleyball.  One- you can start using the Arc.  Two- an experienced coach is already on staff. Three- you can have an excellent team right away, like Women's Bowling, by recruiting one or two players each who would now be going to midwest powerhouse programs but sitting on the bench.  Programs like Ball State, IPFW, Lewis, and Loyola are all nationally ranked D-1 schools with up to 16 players on the team.  Loyola won the national championship last year, hosted the final four, and made a nice profit to boot.  The bottom line is, a high level Valpo administrator wants to see lacrosse first.

valpotx

As long as adding another sport doesn't require us to get rid of any current sports, I would be ok with adding Lacrosse.  I don't want a Cleveland State situation, where they got rid of baseball several years ago, and are now considering Lacrosse.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on December 05, 2014, 01:08:38 AMI would be ok with adding Lacrosse
If we're going to talk PCC, shouldn't this discussion be in "National Conference Realignments"?

; )

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 05, 2014, 08:31:26 AM
Quote from: valpotx on December 05, 2014, 01:08:38 AMI would be ok with adding Lacrosse
If we're going to talk PCC, shouldn't this discussion be in "National Conference Realignments"? ; )

Sometimes you gotta explain your humor a little better, LAA, because I'm sure a lot of posters didn't get it.

Porter County Conference (PCC)--Boone Grove, Hebron, Kouts, La Crosse, Morgan Twp, South Central, Washington Twp and Westville.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

covufan

Quote from: historyman on December 05, 2014, 10:44:10 AM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 05, 2014, 08:31:26 AM
If we're going to talk PCC, shouldn't this discussion be in "National Conference Realignments"? ; )

Sometimes you gotta explain your humor a little better, LAA, because I'm sure a lot of posters didn't get it.

Porter County Conference (PCC)--Boone Grove, Hebron, Kouts, La Crosse, Morgan Twp, South Central, Washington Twp and Westville.
Again, LAA needed someone else to explain his blargle.

http://www.reactiongifs.us/shaking-head-breaking-bad/

This is where I need to learn how to imbed these things...

historyman

Quote from: covufan on December 05, 2014, 11:29:14 AMAgain, LAA needed someone else to explain his blargle. http://www.reactiongifs.us/shaking-head-breaking-bad/ This is where I need to learn how to imbed these things...

See the items just below the picture. One of them is "HTML embed."

Just copy and paste

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Of course how many hours with vulgar puppeteers did Fred Rogers spend before he finally cracked up and did this

LaPorteAveApostle

Here's the thing, though, if you get it, you get it. If you don't, you don't.

In the entire history of comedy (which began when Cain made a "your mom" joke), explaining a joke has never once made it funnier, or even funny. 

covufan

Quote from: historyman on December 05, 2014, 11:36:46 AM
Quote from: covufan on December 05, 2014, 11:29:14 AMAgain, LAA needed someone else to explain his blargle. http://www.reactiongifs.us/shaking-head-breaking-bad/ This is where I need to learn how to imbed these things...

See the items just below the picture. One of them is "HTML embed."

Just copy and paste

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 05, 2014, 12:32:50 PMHere's the thing, though, if you get it, you get it. If you don't, you don't. In the entire history of comedy (which began when Cain made a "your mom" joke), explaining a joke has never once made it funnier, or even funny.

I thought it was funny when Cain said to Adam........"so God gave you Mom but me and Abel are stuck with our sisters? I gotta extra rib too!"

VULB#62

It's lacrosse season. Theoretically, if Valpo were to field a fully rostered D-I Men's Lacrosse team next year in 2016, here's a guess at what the 12 game schedule might be, based on the fact that there are 69 D-I teams in the NCAA and that the schedule would be 100% D-I.  I projected a need for geographic proximity (or at least ease of travel) to limit travel expenses and a southern trip in March.

Southern Trip -- 2 games in 10 days (choose 2 from):
Jacksonville #58
High Point #36
Mercer #68
Furman #49

Remaining schedule in no particular order:
Marquette #14
Detroit #48
Bellarmine (KY) #51
Notre Dame #4
Michigan #22
Ohio State #31
Robert Morris (PA) #53
Canasius (Western NY) #57
Denver #6 * (Direct flt from Chicago)
Air Force #34 * (Direct flt from Chicago)

D-II Options for 1 or 2 Non-DI games if the schedule were to be a mix:Rockhurst (MO)
Ohio Valley
Lake Erie

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 03, 2015, 04:04:36 PM
It's lacrosse season. Theoretically, if Valpo were to field a fully rostered D-I Men's Lacrosse team next year in 2016, here's a guess at what the 12 game schedule might be, based on the fact that there are 69 D-I teams in the NCAA and that the schedule would be 100% D-I.  I projected a need for geographic proximity (or at least ease of travel) to limit travel expenses and a southern trip in March.

Southern Trip -- 2 games in 10 days (choose 2 from):
Jacksonville #58
High Point #36
Mercer #68
Furman #49

Remaining schedule in no particular order:
Marquette #14
Detroit #48
Bellarmine (KY) #51
Notre Dame #4
Michigan #22
Ohio State #31
Robert Morris (PA) #53
Canasius (Western NY) #57
Denver #6 * (Direct flt from Chicago)
Air Force #34 * (Direct flt from Chicago)

D-II Options for 1 or 2 Non-DI games if the schedule were to be a mix:Rockhurst (MO)
Ohio Valley
Lake Erie

There could be some good games that are not too far of a drive for the team.

Speaking of University of Denver (or is it DU?) - if Valpo were to ever seriously consider lacrosse teams for both men and women, I would start with a conversation with this man:

http://www.denverpioneers.com/sports/m-lacros/mtt/bill_tierney_901452.html

He instantly made DU a contender in lacrosse.  I doubt he would come to Valpo, but he could define the things that are needed to compete in Division I lacrosse.  He has sons and a daughter that are also coaches, and could also recommend someone that would be good for starting programs from scratch. 

VULB#62

Tierney is a lacrosse legend and does it the right way.  He would be an incredible resource and he would jump at increasing the sport's visability in the mid-west.  They compete in the BIG EAST and fly all over the place to play.

I'd assume a Valpo startup program would begin a bit more cautiously with a year 1 hire coach and recruit phase, a 2 year club development phase that competes against "close-by" D-I, II, and III programs and then go full D-I in year 4 with a the first recruiting class in their junior year.  don't think Valpo would sink the money into a startup like DU did.