• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Texting leads to vehicular homicide conviction

Started by wh, July 30, 2014, 01:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Massachusetts teen sentenced to prison for texting while driving

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/20u12/06/06/12090348-massachusetts-teen-sentenced-to-prison-for-texting-while-driving?lite

Yesterday I was behind a panel van on Rt. 49 between Valpo and Kouts. The guy was doing between 40 and 45 in a 55 zone. All of sudden he started to drift across the enter line and went way into the other lane. Fortunately, no one was coming. Finally, I was able to get around him. As I pulled up along side there he was holding his phone against the steering wheel texting away. He never looked up.  I doubt he even knew someone was passing him. So dangerous. I've also recently encountered drivers that text while at a red light and continuing to sit there long after the light changes.

I don't know if texting while driving is on the rise, but it does seem like I'm encountering it with more frequency. Anyone have any thoughts about the whole texting while driving issue?

VULB#62

Scares the heck out of me, WH.  You can be the best defensive driver on the planet, but you still can't anticipate an oncoming car suddenly veering into your lane at the last second.  The death threat is the greatest IMO on two lane roads.  I have seen cars drift into another lane on the interstate, but cars traveling in the same direction have a better chance of avoiding contact.  Not so on County Road VV in Wisconsin at 60 mph.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on July 30, 2014, 01:34:21 PMAs I pulled up along side there he was holding his phone against the steering wheel texting away. He never looked up.  I doubt he even knew someone was passing him.
Well you could at least have yelled "hey bro" and I would have known.

Sent from my Tapatalk mobile in the Five Points roundabout
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Couldn't have been you.  Your too smart for that.   :)

covufan

Quote from: a3uge on July 31, 2014, 03:22:20 PM
It's scientifically proven that texting and driving is not all that dangerous.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-texting-while-driving-okay-if-you-look-up-e,32583/

OK, I admit I took the bait at "scientifically proven", but then saw "the onion" in the link.  Sometimes, we really need The Onion!

Thanks for the laugh!

valporun

States have been trying to stop texting while driving, but aside from having cops all over watching for this, IT CAN'T BE STOPPED. It's a matter of personal responsibility. If you have to text or make a phone call while you're out somewhere, pull off the road, make that text or phone call, and continue to where you have to go. Yes, phone calls can be made using bluetooth, or so many people have the ability to have their phones sync thru the car stereo console so you can focus on the road and make or take that important phone call. It isn't on the rise, it's just moving forward waiting for the cops to really pull over these people and fining them for it heavily. Unfortunately, the cops are getting to be just as bad, as they get younger and more advanced in the use of technology.  Goes back to "beating a dead horse", but states are writing and re-writing laws about this all the time, and nothing is helping the problem.

usc4valpo

I have Bluetooth and happy to have it when I am on the road.  People texting while driving need punishment - I know we live in a multitasking world but c'mon man.

StlVUFan

Quote from: usc4valpo on August 10, 2014, 01:21:20 PM
I have Bluetooth and happy to have it when I am on the road.  People texting while driving need punishment - I know we live in a multitasking world but c'mon man.
Me too.  I love being able to make or receive a phone call without taking my hands off the wheel.